Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Fresh Perspective

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2012, 02:43 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 61 Posts

Gary, it's a sheer pleasure reading your experience about the car...you should (or perhaps do?) write columns in the magazines...what a joy...thank you!
Old 11-14-2012, 02:48 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fester
Gary, it's a sheer pleasure reading your experience about the car...you should (or perhaps do?) write columns in the magazines...what a joy...thank you!
You're welcome, of course, and I do appreciate knowing you enjoy my notes.

I only write for periodicals when someone twists my arm. It's too much like work to write with a deadline.

I prefer to write for the enjoyment of people who will take it when I post it.

Gary, thinking that Cab might need a good night hug
Old 11-14-2012, 07:19 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by simsgw

I'm a little puzzled about one thing. The Sports Chrono dial is white, but the primary instrument dials are black. I thought white dials were standard on the S models.
standard dials on S and C2 is black except that S has grey tacho face.

All black on S is an option.

Sport Chrono dial in white also an option, as standard is black .. to match exterior?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:32 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 309 Likes on 184 Posts

Gary,
You have hit all the nails on their heads, despite being in the "half car" break in period. Looking forward to your reactions when you experience the other half.

The other side is way more sudden and more fast than anything short of a Cup car, even left to its own automated devices. In Sport + the kickdown switch (past the detent at the end of the pedal), the PDK operating near redline in any gear (esp. when decelerating into a tight corner), and the PSE overrun burbble (forcing a glance in the mirror to spot the pack trying to overtake) can make for an "interesting" experience- the first time and every time.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:06 AM
deturney
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're welcome, of course, and I do appreciate knowing you enjoy my notes.

I only write for periodicals when someone twists my arm. It's too much like work to write with a deadline.

I prefer to write for the enjoyment of people who will take it when I post it.

Gary, thinking that Cab might need a good night hug
I also like reading your words Gary. Enjoy your 991 and the "Rhapsody of PSE"
Dave

Last edited by deturney; 11-14-2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:50 AM
jlanka
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 39 Posts

Ditto. Even though I've only been here a short time I also enjoy your perspective Gary, especially your answer to my post about a month ago. Thank you.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:53 PM
pt767
Instructor

Thanks Gary...looking forward to my "fresh perspective" in the hopefully near future. Enjoy your new car...it's beautiful!
Old 11-14-2012, 02:58 PM
hlee1169
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgot to mention that, didn't I? Yes, I love the PSE. It's just loud enough that I felt obligated to shut it down in that canyon when I'd pass through the California equivalent of Europe's villages. You know, a cluster of houses that have been built on slightly flatter land that somebody subdivided to quarter-acre sizes. (Most of the ground in our canyons is vertical you see. Picture the Blue Ridge Mountains of my family's origin suddenly got startled. Or an erection. Ahem.) Anyway, when I'd slow to avoid scaring the natives and spooking their stock, I'd also punch the PSE button to quiet things down.

The exhaust note is delicious with or without the PSE active, but it takes on a moderately ferocious sound with PSE on. Mind you, I'm limiting myself to 4000 rpm for break-in, so the real sound effects between the torque peak and the redline aren't in evidence yet. Oh yes! I did notice the change in PDK shift strategy with PSE active. It's like a brief growl of determination every time an upshift takes place with PSE active. A horse could be forgiven for thinking my car was about to pounce.

Can't wait to hear it at high rpm.

Gary
Gary, at high RPM it is a glorious sound. When I accelerated on the Thunderhill track's back straight, people who sat nearby all tell me it was one of the best exhaust sound they have ever heard, and they are GT3 owners. They even asked me if it's aftermarket exhaust.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:12 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hlee1169
Gary, at high RPM it is a glorious sound. When I accelerated on the Thunderhill track's back straight, people who sat nearby all tell me it was one of the best exhaust sound they have ever heard, and they are GT3 owners. They even asked me if it's aftermarket exhaust.
Break-in is a lot like "saving yourself for marriage". Mumble, mutter...
Old 11-14-2012, 03:17 PM
deturney
Instructor

Break-in is a lot like "saving yourself for marriage". Mumble, mutter...
Exactly.....good luck with that
Old 11-14-2012, 07:43 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Okay, all these break-in comments, I have to ask: is it really all that big a deal? I mean, yes, there was a time back in the day, engineering (machining, actually more likely) and assembly tolerances were such that there really was a lot of extra friction and wear early on until parts basically rubbed off adjacent tight spots and things fit better after that. But today? I wonder. Not saying I would take my new car straight out and drive a steady 90 across the plains all day, but is there really any reason to avoid occasional full throttle, even to redline? In other words, pretty much drive it like you otherwise would right from the get-go?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:08 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
Okay, all these break-in comments, I have to ask: is it really all that big a deal? I mean, yes, there was a time back in the day, engineering (machining, actually more likely) and assembly tolerances were such that there really was a lot of extra friction and wear early on until parts basically rubbed off adjacent tight spots and things fit better after that. But today? I wonder. Not saying I would take my new car straight out and drive a steady 90 across the plains all day, but is there really any reason to avoid occasional full throttle, even to redline? In other words, pretty much drive it like you otherwise would right from the get-go?
Funny coincidence, Chuck. Engine break-in is currently being rehashed on the 997 forum and I just posted my thoughts over there right before reading your post. FWIW, this was my $.02 on the subject:

This is one of those topics. IMO, we might as well be discussing politics or religion for all the good it will do. I've yet to see anything other than reasonable (sometimes) speculation and anecdotal declarations that "this is what I've always done, my engines never use oil, and they make tons of power" with respect to which way to go on break-in.

If someone could show me a true scientific study, with a meaningful sample of A:B comparisions of engines that had been tested for power and efficiency then broken down and examined for wear over specific numbers of miles after using both manufacturer recommendations and a drive-it-like-you-stole-it break-in, then I'd know which way was best. I guess it's the skeptic in me.

Failing that, I'll likely continue to follow more or less what the manufacturer suggests, something that has, anecdotally speaking, served me well. YMMV.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:43 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by chuck911
There're 2 ways of looking at this...at least IMO :
- if you're going to keep the car for 3-4 years,I guess it doesn't matter...you won't care if in 5-6 yrs the new owner will use a quart of oil every 1000 miles...
- but if you're planning to keep the car longer break in is important IMO
Even though technology advanced and engine components might be using different materials(lighter for example),it doesn't mean they're better,as in more durable. Actually,I'm noticing the trend nowadays is to turn cars in consumables...and that is happening with all manufacturers,not just Porsche...2-3 yrs is enough,100K miles and you need another one...
You should watch some YouTube videos of engine assembly and you will see things haven't changed quite that much : they're still using pistons,bearings,rods etc. Until they come up with something better,they'll still be metal shavings,especially on new engines,dry start,settling etc.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:49 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 339 Likes on 208 Posts

BTW,Congratulations on the new car Gary!!! Gorgeous!
And thank you for your valuable opinion regarding the 991 electric steering. Coming from a man with your experience it's Priceless!
Old 11-14-2012, 10:28 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by neanicu
BTW,Congratulations on the new car Gary!!! Gorgeous!
And thank you for your valuable opinion regarding the 991 electric steering. Coming from a man with your experience it's Priceless!
Thank you, and while we're talking about experience, I might as well comment on break-in. I remember when this argument raged in the letter columns of Popular Mechanix back in the fifties and the positions were the same. The positions and the people, who were just as inflexible then as now. It's a polarizing issue. For what it's worth then, here's my take after ... omigod, after 47 years as an engineer. (I could have done without that arithmetic tonight. Now stuff hurts. I may have to go take an Advil...)

I was mostly in the space business with some aircraft work, and otherwise naval/military equipment. Never consumer products of any sort. And essentially everything we built in the space business was intended for single use. No chance to break in an Atlas booster. It either works the first time at full power or we have to break it ten thousand feet above the Pacific. Ditto satellites. And don't even think about Minuteman III.

You might suppose I'd scoff at break-in procedures. Well, with the finest machinists in the world creating our parts with tolerances down to spooky levels, the last step is worth noting. Assembly of parts that would move against each other always included hand lapping them. You put on a mild abrasive, put the parts together, and carefully mimic the motions expected in operational use. Sometimes they wouldn't go together at all. Tolerances so tight can mean two pieces on opposite ends of their tolerance range will not fit, so we had ... well, never mind. Too much detail.

Having lapped for a prescribed period, the compound is then washed off with an appropriate solvent, and a finer abrasive applied, ending with a polishing compound when we wanted them that well mated. (We often have specs to prevent them being too well mated. A phenomenon called vacuum welding must be avoided if the two materials in contact are susceptible to it.) Basically, for lack of gentle early operations, we substituted human manipulation to achieve break-in.

I'll stick with the book recommendation for my Porsche, adapted only slightly with some techniques I learned years ago.

Gary

Quick Reply: A Fresh Perspective