about to place order

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 01:14 PM
conmax
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default about to place order

hi,

i am about ready to place an order for a new 991. this will be my 3rd porsche. i thought about waiting for the unveiling of the new C7 vette since i have owned several of those as well. i doubt that the C7 will have a dual trans/clutch auto like the PDK so i am not waiting. my 07 z06 performs well, but the 991 seems quicker 0-60mph and has a much better ride. the z06 is very uncomfortable driving for any distance and my wife doesn't like the manual trans.

here is what i have so far:
- carerra s coupe
- pdk, spasm, sport chrono
- premium + package
- sunroof
- full leather in expresso brown
- platinum silver
- sport techno wheels
- sport + steering wheel with paddles
- brushed aluminum interior

i don't intend to track the car, maybe an occasional auto cross or rally like i do with the vette. i have thought about the power kit and ceramic brakes, but the car is already getting pricy and i doubt that i would notice the difference much (maybe the yellow calipers).

looking for some feedback b4 pulling the trigger next week. i live in the LA area. part of the reason i did not include the PDCC comes from Rennlist members.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:24 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

park assist rear?

have you got aluminium or leather center console trim as well? if not, you will have the standard galvano trim looking out of place.

silver seat belts to add a flash of colour to interior?
Old 11-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Great build, I would order.
Smoking package (you get a lid, led light and additional 12v socket at hand for free)
Spacers (looks great w/SPASM)
Wheels in satin platinum finish.
Park assist
Old 11-12-2012, 07:17 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Great build! +1 on the 5 mm spacers- really makes the stance "perfect"; also consider heated/cooled seats, upgraded headlights. Love them every time i drive.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:44 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

I would add the folding mirrors and not bother with the spacers. You can always go aftermarket with the spacers, and they'll be cheaper.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:34 AM
packwest
Advanced

I would go with the manual and save yourself $7k. You can always teach the wife how to drive a manual in a Hertz rental Awesome choice of silver and brown interior...classy!
Old 11-13-2012, 01:49 AM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Of course you don't need (can't even order) spacers with Sport Techno wheels that are already 1/2" wider than the other wheel options. Smoking package really finishes the center console look. (Check it out on the 3D configurator.) Be sure your brushed aluminum replaces all the silver plastic parts. The ones around the vents for example, make sure you are okay with that and if not may want to leather them. Espresso leather is awesome, only Espresso and Red are full top grain. You will easily see and feel the quality. SPASM with Sport Techno makes a great package for Autox stock class. I would not recommend PDDC either. Nice build!
Old 11-13-2012, 02:02 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by conmax
hi,

i am about ready to place an order for a new 991. this will be my 3rd porsche. i thought about waiting for the unveiling of the new C7 vette since i have owned several of those as well. i doubt that the C7 will have a dual trans/clutch auto like the PDK so i am not waiting. my 07 z06 performs well, but the 991 seems quicker 0-60mph and has a much better ride. the z06 is very uncomfortable driving for any distance and my wife doesn't like the manual trans.

here is what i have so far:
- carerra s coupe
- pdk, spasm, sport chrono
- premium + package
- sunroof
- full leather in expresso brown
- platinum silver
- sport techno wheels
- sport + steering wheel with paddles
- brushed aluminum interior

i don't intend to track the car, maybe an occasional auto cross or rally like i do with the vette. i have thought about the power kit and ceramic brakes, but the car is already getting pricy and i doubt that i would notice the difference much (maybe the yellow calipers).

looking for some feedback b4 pulling the trigger next week. i live in the LA area. part of the reason i did not include the PDCC comes from Rennlist members.
You're right. The 991 is quicker than the 'vette. And a lot more comfortable, although this generation of Corvette is a huge improvement. I just picked up my 991S Cab tonight and drove eighty miles home in our Friday night traffic. From Auto Gallery across 101 to the 405, north to the 14 and across the range to Lancaster. The traffic was as heavy as our fast traffic ever gets, and I was shifting manually to stay below 4000 rpm for break-in. Really love the intuitive handling and location of the new controls since I was doing everything in the dark.

I second that nomination of the headlights. The PDLS sounds like a gimmick and I didn't care either way when it appeared on the option list for the car I selected. But it certainly pays off at night. Very effective system. Love it, and it's not one of the features I thought about at all.

I went for the multi-function wheel. I prefer the look of the sport wheel but it's a pain in the neck to keep both hands on the wheel to shift manually. I'm used to flying planes with each hand assigned its own share of the controls, and with the multi-function wheel it only takes one hand to combine shifting with steering, and either hand can do both conveniently. With the paddles, I had to use the left hand to shift down and the right to shift up. Both hands on the wheel all the time. That's okay at a track, but it's a nuisance in freeway traffic. Whatever feels right to you. Just mentioning the effect.

If you care about music while driving long distances, as I do, then you should consider the upgraded Bose system at least. I went for the Burmester and I was seriously impressed tonight. Top down or top up, it performed extremely well. People who say they can't tell the difference don't know stereos or don't know what to listen for. Probably the acid test is being able to tolerate higher volume levels (as you might use when surrounded with noisy traffic). The Burmester tonight was much easier to enjoy at high levels than my high-end Bose version in the 997S I just traded. And in quiet stretches (when I was willing to turn off the PSE and just listen to music), the Burmester sounds as good as my home stereo system.

PSE. Seriously consider this option. It sounds great. With the current state of our roads around Los Angeles, I skipped the Sport PASM (as well as the PDCC) but I did order PSE as people here suggested. Great option. Highly recommended. Especially with the PDK, which also was a good suggestion of people here at the Rennlist forums.

By the way, I also got the espresso brown natural leather. Love the feel, and it includes a matching leather on the steering wheel that is delightful to the hand.

Gary
Old 11-13-2012, 05:24 PM
SiNi
Instructor

part of the reason i did not include the PDCC comes from Rennlist members.
Interesting comment! PDCC is probably the most perplexing choice of options and has attracted much debate on this forum. The problem is that there are no road reports where 991s with and without PDCC have been formally compared. Consequently, many comments are speculative and those with and without it will naturally justify their decision.

Like many options it is a personal decision and you have to go with your gut feeling. In an ideal world you would test drive cars with and without it but this is easier said than done!

I went for PDCC on my 991S coupe. Due to a software fault on the PDK box shortly after delivery I had to return my car to the dealer and was loaned a non-PDCC 991 while my car was fixed. So I am in the fortunate position of having been able to compare the handling of PDCC versus non-PDCC 991 on fast country roads (not track). I can honestly say that I find the PDCC car much smoother and more comfortable on bumpy roads. Also, the PDCC car feels even more planted and glued to the road! It is an expensive option but I would not hesitate to go for PDCC - the car feels fantastic and inspires confidence!
Old 11-13-2012, 09:22 PM
conmax
4th Gear

all,
thanks for the responses! the moving headlights are part of the package. pasm + sport exhuast = SPASM which is what i am ordering.
i think SASM is standard on the S, but the configurator shows an up charge.
as far as the smoking package; i don't smoke so thought this was unnecessary. if it adds to the appearance greatly, i may reconsider.
the sport techo wheels are wider as well as the tires so no spacers.
on the music, most standard systems are overkill to me unless Porsche has downgraded since my 930.
the sport wheel is recommended by other members because the multifunction supposedly gets in the way of other functions. i have no strong opinion on this; i just want to use the sport+ mode effectively.
i may buy from the woodland hills porsche which sounds like where one of you may have purchased theirs.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:56 PM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 120 Posts

Smokers package looks a lot better because you don't end up with a useless cavity that holds nothing.
I've had both steering wheels and for me the Sport Wheel just looked and felt better.
Lastly, I love my ventilated seats. On hot days the Porsche AC circulation leaves a lot to be desired.

Best of luck with your purchase..
Old 11-13-2012, 11:19 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

all,
thanks for the responses! the moving headlights are part of the package. pasm + sport exhuast = SPASM which is what i am ordering.
i think SASM is standard on the S, but the configurator shows an up charge.
as far as the smoking package; i don't smoke so thought this was unnecessary. if it adds to the appearance greatly, i may reconsider.
the sport techo wheels are wider as well as the tires so no spacers.
on the music, most standard systems are overkill to me unless Porsche has downgraded since my 930.
the sport wheel is recommended by other members because the multifunction supposedly gets in the way of other functions. i have no strong opinion on this; i just want to use the sport+ mode effectively.
i may buy from the woodland hills porsche which sounds like where one of you may have purchased theirs.

Actually "SPASM" is Sport PASM- a bargain option that has PASM and shorter stiffer springs and sway bars. Lowers the car an additional 10 mm. PSE is the sport muffler (with the whoopee button). The Sport wheel has paddles for shifting- more natural than buttons - for about a week - until you get used to the buttons and also realize that the PDK in its various modes does just about what you would do manually anyway, and just don't bother manually shifting!
Old 11-14-2012, 12:31 AM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

[...]
That's where I just got my second Porsche. Good dealership. For internet searches, their full name is "Auto Gallery".

Gary
Old 11-14-2012, 07:30 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

if you spec multi function s/wheel, you lose the control stalk on the s/column

Quick Reply: about to place order