Sponsored by:

ordering C2S -- input?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 03:09 PM
jondavid
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ordering C2S -- input?

Greetings RL! This is indeed my very first post (of many I hope).

I'm a longtime reader, first time poster about to order a 991 C2S. I've wanted a 911 my whole life, and it's finally time. Also, I have a 2002 4Runner I'm keeping to schlep things around and to have 4WD option in bad weather.

Let me start by saying, it's been a long process to get here. I didn't start out wanting to spend this much, but f-it if you can and you love something - why the hell not? Right? I know you guys agree

First thought was M3 - then I see so many 3-series around, and they still want all the money...meh. Then considered '10 GTR and driving it, while really quite fun, had one big flaw I don't know if anyone has experienced -- maybe just me -- but it felt like rolling along in a mailbox. I couldn't see well out the back or sides at all and by the end of one drive it bugged me.

Then I decided - I'm going 911. Thought about a 08-10 997C2S to save some dough. Drove a couple, all super fun, loved the 6spd like a sibling, thought the turbo was an absolute menace to society and destined to kill me with a giant smile on its face. Felt dangerously fun when given the beans.

Then 3 weeks ago I drove a 991 with PDK and was blown away. I never thought I would not buy a manual gearbox, but I really loved PDK. Car was super comfortable, ride was mind-blowing on craggy crappy roads, etc.. Then for some real fun, all I had to do was push Sport and it was a very manageable, friendly, monster of complete awesome. I felt totally in control and didn't have time to miss the third pedal at all because I was smiling too much. It's so refined -- as my wife said when we were driving it, sitting in it "feels like a very special place."

In the end, the 991C2S just seemed a ton easier to live with as a daily driver. If it's not icy, I'll be in it. I settled on PDK because most of my driving is in the city -- and picking my way through gears on crappy city streets seemed a tiresome exercise.

So here I am now, and below is what I'm thinking. Builds out just shy of $117k. Would love the input of experienced owners, enthusiasts, RennFolk who know **** from shinola

2012/13 991 C2S
Midnight Blue Metallic
Black standard int.
Bose
Model des removed
Electric roof
Sports exhaust
PASM
PDK
20in Carrera Classic
Sport seats plus
Seat vent
Seat heat
Auto dimming mirrors
Multi-function wheel
Center console in carbon
carbon int. package
Old 11-05-2012, 03:12 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Would add steering wheel heat. PCM is a nice addition too. PTV also.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:10 PM
Rapture1
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jondavid
Greetings RL! This is indeed my very first post (of many I hope).

I'm a longtime reader, first time poster about to order a 991 C2S. I've wanted a 911 my whole life, and it's finally time. Also, I have a 2002 4Runner I'm keeping to schlep things around and to have 4WD option in bad weather.

Let me start by saying, it's been a long process to get here. I didn't start out wanting to spend this much, but f-it if you can and you love something - why the hell not? Right? I know you guys agree

First thought was M3 - then I see so many 3-series around, and they still want all the money...meh. Then considered '10 GTR and driving it, while really quite fun, had one big flaw I don't know if anyone has experienced -- maybe just me -- but it felt like rolling along in a mailbox. I couldn't see well out the back or sides at all and by the end of one drive it bugged me.

Then I decided - I'm going 911. Thought about a 08-10 997C2S to save some dough. Drove a couple, all super fun, loved the 6spd like a sibling, thought the turbo was an absolute menace to society and destined to kill me with a giant smile on its face. Felt dangerously fun when given the beans.

Then 3 weeks ago I drove a 991 with PDK and was blown away. I never thought I would not buy a manual gearbox, but I really loved PDK. Car was super comfortable, ride was mind-blowing on craggy crappy roads, etc.. Then for some real fun, all I had to do was push Sport and it was a very manageable, friendly, monster of complete awesome. I felt totally in control and didn't have time to miss the third pedal at all because I was smiling too much. It's so refined -- as my wife said when we were driving it, sitting in it "feels like a very special place."

In the end, the 991C2S just seemed a ton easier to live with as a daily driver. If it's not icy, I'll be in it. I settled on PDK because most of my driving is in the city -- and picking my way through gears on crappy city streets seemed a tiresome exercise.

So here I am now, and below is what I'm thinking. Builds out just shy of $117k. Would love the input of experienced owners, enthusiasts, RennFolk who know **** from shinola

2012/13 991 C2S
Midnight Blue Metallic
Black standard int.
Bose
Model des removed
Electric roof
Sports exhaust
PASM
PDK
20in Carrera Classic
Sport seats plus
Seat vent
Seat heat
Auto dimming mirrors
Multi-function wheel
Center console in carbon
carbon int. package
I could have written this post, and am in the exact same spot. I'm ordering a C4S and plan on driving it year round. I'm new to Porsche also so I can't offer the same advice others can on the forum (I btw have included a billion options on the build) but I'm sure you should get some good info. My advice, spend a lot of time in the 3D configurator to really see what the different options are.

I also agree btw that after driving the car it was clear it was special and a great car that could be a DD. Very important for me and really in the end what convinced me to purchase.

Now if I can just get the deviated stitching options figured out.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:55 PM
carcommander
Rennlist Member

Received 283 Likes on 157 Posts

I love mine. I have had it about 9 months. It is built to about your spec. I sold my 997 turbo after I got it. I use mine as a DD.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:04 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

get full leather interior .. makes the car a true Porsche, and lifts the interior from coach to first class
Old 11-05-2012, 05:39 PM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the pics of the leather interior with deviated red stitching. its stunning, very ferrari esque.

cheers
Old 11-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Detroit Shooter
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

As someone else said I could have written this post. I have had my car for 2 weeks and am loving it.

The sport Chronos takes the PDK shifting to a different level, it also adds launch control. While you will not use launch control much it is something to be experienced. There is more to it than that read up but I think it is a must.

I second the heated steering wheel.

Check out the platinum wheels also. I think they are sharp.
Here is my Basalt Black with Platinum wheels.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:39 PM
jondavid
Track Day

wow that is gorgeous - congrats. the platinum S rims are misleading in the configurator - they have a ton of depth in photos...very sharp indeed.

definitely doing the heated wheel, chrono just seemed to be stuff I would barely use. thanks for the feedback though I appreciate it.

Originally Posted by Detroit Shooter
As someone else said I could have written this post. I have had my car for 2 weeks and am loving it.

The sport Chronos takes the PDK shifting to a different level, it also adds launch control. While you will not use launch control much it is something to be experienced. There is more to it than that read up but I think it is a must.

I second the heated steering wheel.

Check out the platinum wheels also. I think they are sharp.
Here is my Basalt Black with Platinum wheels.
Old 11-05-2012, 06:55 PM
DBYT
Pro

You forgot a very important addition if you are getting a PDK, which is the Sport Chrono. Glass sunroof? If you are going for a PDK, you might want to go with the paddle shifters on the sport design wheel as I think they are way better than the awkward buttons on the multi function wheel.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:16 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Sport Chrono, definitely. Also you already have a number of options that are included in one of the options packages. In other words by picking the package instead you may gain a few neat things (like entry/drive and light package) for very little more.
Main thing I would say however is you sound so much like me! Porsche had a print ad: "You saw it, you dreamed about it, you decided to get it. Then you entered Kindergarten." That was me. In my case, 30 years later, '79 SC. The biggest discovery? That Porsche DNA is infused so deeply into every 911 that it will be rewarding you year after year, without end. If you'll be driving it a long time then it will be rewarding you a long time, so if you even think an option might be worth having, well then you might as well go for it. Your wife by the way is right on the money: "feels like a very special place." The right options can only make it feel even more special.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:47 PM
jondavid
Track Day

thanks man! It's probably been posted here a million times, but I'm totally this kid - and it's been about 20 years

I hear you on the packages, and I actually really dig the entry system. The thing is I hate those seats, so I avoid the package. I loved the Sport seats with manual fore/aft - much easier to slide for my dog to jump in.

But absolutely get your perspective on the options. It's why I'm avoiding Chrono - I think I'm the new Porsche owner some dislike - but I really want to ultimate DD and GT car to blast around the country with my wife. Savage paddle shifts and launch control not required. heating steering wheel is a great add tho. If I want to track, I'll pick up a 997RS or a Caterham and some goggles

Originally Posted by chuck911
Sport Chrono, definitely. Also you already have a number of options that are included in one of the options packages. In other words by picking the package instead you may gain a few neat things (like entry/drive and light package) for very little more.
Main thing I would say however is you sound so much like me! Porsche had a print ad: "You saw it, you dreamed about it, you decided to get it. Then you entered Kindergarten." That was me. In my case, 30 years later, '79 SC. The biggest discovery? That Porsche DNA is infused so deeply into every 911 that it will be rewarding you year after year, without end. If you'll be driving it a long time then it will be rewarding you a long time, so if you even think an option might be worth having, well then you might as well go for it. Your wife by the way is right on the money: "feels like a very special place." The right options can only make it feel even more special.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:55 PM
Eric - Plug Guy
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 194 Likes on 108 Posts

Detroit - that is one badass lookin' ride. Very nice. Clears are waiting for you in my office if you like.

As for that heated wheel - at the Porsche World Tour last week one of the Panameras had a heated carbon wheel, and it was pretty damn nice.

2022 GT3 Touring
2009 997 Turbo Cab
2018 M2 6sp

Gone but not forgotten
2004 C4S Cabriolet
1999 C2 Cab

Old 11-05-2012, 09:51 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts
Default options

Options add up fast don't they? You have a nice package. If it was me, I would revise as below:

Midnight Blue Metallic
Black standard int. ---> Full leather makes a huge difference to the look and feel every time you touch it. Deviated stitching is spectacular but you get most of the effect from full leather itself- the standard running stitching is noticeable in a subtle way and the aluminum trim really sets off the black leather on the doors and dash and the rest of teh aluminum bits especially with soprt steering wheel (if you delete the carbon)
Bose
Model des removed
Electric roof ---> some think this is not so great- I use mine and love it
Sports exhaust ----> wish I had it although not critical as the standard exhaust is already sporty
PASM ----------------> Sport PASM lowers/stiffens the car and gives it a bit more of the classic feel with little ride penalty- it is the bargain of options.
PDK -------------------> Sport Chron is pricy but returns a lot of "sport" and very trick dynamic engine mounts. I like the dash blister too
20in Carrera Classic
Sport seats plus
Seat vent
Seat heat
Auto dimming mirrors
Multi-function wheel ------> great convenience, but the sport wheel with paddles and aluminum trim really is a visual and touch treat every time
Center console in carbon ------> see below
carbon int. package --------> trendy, but too dark with the black interior and possibly will feel dated fast
Old 11-05-2012, 09:58 PM
DBYT
Pro

I would recommend that you take a test drive in a PDk with sport chrono and drive it in sport plus mode before you make any hasty decisions on omitting sport chrono. The first downshift you do in sport plus will have you ticking the sport chrono box.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:02 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

PS couple more thoughts:
- buttons are fully as functional as paddles once you get used to them- especially when you come to realize that the computer does just what you would do- only faster.
- heated and cooled seats and heated steering wheel sound over the top to some but are fantastic all beyond what is expected from them
- sports seats are supremely comfortable if you fit around the shoulders

My prediction- you are going to love the car however you finalize it. The 991 is the sweetest 911 yet, and they are all great.

Quick Reply: ordering C2S -- input?