Sponsored by:

ordering C2S -- input?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 10:04 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by DBYT
I would recommend that you take a test drive in a PDk with sport chrono and drive it in sport plus mode before you make any hasty decisions on omitting sport chrono. The first downshift you do in sport plus will have you ticking the sport chrono box.
+1 You can be Vetttel or Alonso EVERY TIME!
Old 11-05-2012, 10:25 PM
jondavid
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that they do! thanks for the thoughts, much appreciated

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Options add up fast don't they? You have a nice package. If it was me, I would revise as below:

Midnight Blue Metallic
Black standard int. ---> Full leather makes a huge difference to the look and feel every time you touch it. Deviated stitching is spectacular but you get most of the effect from full leather itself- the standard running stitching is noticeable in a subtle way and the aluminum trim really sets off the black leather on the doors and dash and the rest of teh aluminum bits especially with soprt steering wheel (if you delete the carbon)
Bose
Model des removed
Electric roof ---> some think this is not so great- I use mine and love it
Sports exhaust ----> wish I had it although not critical as the standard exhaust is already sporty
PASM ----------------> Sport PASM lowers/stiffens the car and gives it a bit more of the classic feel with little ride penalty- it is the bargain of options.
PDK -------------------> Sport Chron is pricy but returns a lot of "sport" and very trick dynamic engine mounts. I like the dash blister too
20in Carrera Classic
Sport seats plus
Seat vent
Seat heat
Auto dimming mirrors
Multi-function wheel ------> great convenience, but the sport wheel with paddles and aluminum trim really is a visual and touch treat every time
Center console in carbon ------> see below
carbon int. package --------> trendy, but too dark with the black interior and possibly will feel dated fast
Old 11-05-2012, 10:26 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by jondavid
I'm a longtime reader, first time poster about to order a 991 C2S. I've wanted a 911 my whole life, and it's finally time. Also, I have a 2002 4Runner I'm keeping to schlep things around and to have 4WD option in bad weather.

Let me start by saying, it's been a long process to get here. I didn't start out wanting to spend this much, but f-it if you can and you love something - why the hell not? Right? I know you guys agree
Boy, have you got us down pat. As several others have said, you sound just like me, except that I'm too old to say I've wanted a 911 my whole life. When they were introduced, my wife and I used to walk down past the dealership and ogle them behind glass. I finally got my first one in 2009 (after having gotten her dream car, the NSX, for ten years prior). Now Cindy is gone and I've ordered my last hurrah, a 991 C2S Cabriolet.

As for options, I agree with a couple of the suggestions, like adding full leather and the Sport Chrono, just because they add to the special feel. I had standard leather in my first Carrera and it was acceptable but always felt... 'ordinary' I suppose. The "full leather" is a different quality, not just the same leather slapped on odd bits around the cockpit. It feels like a welcoming touch.

I have been a devotee of manual transmissions for sixty years, so the likelihood of my buying a PDK seemed very low until I tried a few in the Boxster Spyder, the Turbo S, and then some test examples of my pending Cab. The original PDK is good. The updated PDK in the 991 is a superb way to control a car. Calling it an 'automatic' is slander. When you add Sport Chrono to PDK, the result is brilliant. I had to have it. (And I retired from racing in 1994. Track work is not my reason.) A friend who never goes near a track feels the same way. Sport Chrono isn't the clock on the dash (which nobody seems to learn how to use). It is a re-programming of the on-board computer that controls the suspension, the engine mounts, and the transmission. A few secondary features are included, like personal control of convenience features like the lights that stay on briefly when you get out of the car, but that's just lace trim. The real benefit is the change in the car's 'feel' when you engage sport chrono mode. Carreras come alive. Very much worth it.

Other options... well, I'd just confirm what some others have said, as well as your wife. A Porsche just feels special and you'll have it longer than most cars you'll ever own. Don't hesitate to add any option that increases your pleasure in getting into the car every day.

Gary
Old 11-05-2012, 10:32 PM
jondavid
Track Day

I drove a PDK with Sport Chrono in all three modes. In the one part of the test drive where you could unwind a bit, I did it in all three modes.

Full-disclosure - this was 2 corners - but the only difference I felt for road use was the downshift (and upshift) in Sport Plus were even MORE savage than Sport

Recently drove a GTR and I think the PDK is better - more livable gearbox. A lot more like the M3 (and now M5) DCT.

But Sport Chrono? They want all that option dough for the dash blister and dynamic mounts. This is essentially a GT car so Chrono seems overkill...

But I'm only snooping around, so these are certainly just my surface impressions. Interested in what others think...

I would recommend that you take a test drive in a PDk with sport chrono and drive it in sport plus mode before you make any hasty decisions on omitting sport chrono. The first downshift you do in sport plus will have you ticking the sport chrono box.
Old 11-05-2012, 10:41 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm a bit jealous. It took me many decades to arrive where you have jumped to with your very first Porsche. My consolation is that you will be hooked, just like the rest of us. Welcome to a great obsession.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:29 AM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love the sport chrono. To me that button turns the car from a civilized GT type car, to a snarling, blipping and burbling race car. I took a spirited drive around some forest back roads and the sound of the throttle on downshifts and burbling on the overrun and sound coming into the cabin under heavy acceleration was addictive to me. Only problem was it was tough to get out of 2nd gear in the twisties.

Last edited by limey940; 11-06-2012 at 09:29 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-06-2012, 10:35 AM
jondavid
Track Day

Originally Posted by limey940
I love the sport chrono. To me that button turns the car from a civilized GT type car, to a snarling, blipping and burbling race car. I took a spirited drive around some forest back roads and the sound of the throttle on downshifts and burbling on the overrun and sound coming into the cabin under heavy acceleration was addictive to me. Only problem was it was tough to get out of 2nd gear in the twisties.
Thanks for the note. Have to admit on Chrono, I'm starting to wear down. Not like I'm a hard sell tho...

And can I just say, DAMN those platinums on blue is hot. Was thinking midnight but Aqua with those looks amazing - would you perhaps link me to some more pics of your beauty??
Old 11-06-2012, 10:38 AM
jondavid
Track Day

Originally Posted by solomonschris
I'm a bit jealous. It took me many decades to arrive where you have jumped to with your very first Porsche. My consolation is that you will be hooked, just like the rest of us. Welcome to a great obsession.
Thanks man really appreciate the note.

You can take solace -- I'm completely hooked. Next year, the 991. Shortly after, something classic, red, with no top.

http://www.oldride.com/sports_cars/942393.html
Old 11-06-2012, 11:36 AM
limey940
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jondavid
Thanks for the note. Have to admit on Chrono, I'm starting to wear down. Not like I'm a hard sell tho...

And can I just say, DAMN those platinums on blue is hot. Was thinking midnight but Aqua with those looks amazing - would you perhaps link me to some more pics of your beauty??
Any excuse to post pics of my new car is appreciated:

Last edited by limey940; 05-13-2013 at 10:19 AM.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:49 PM
SMLaker
Instructor

You forgot a very important addition if you are getting a PDK, which is the Sport Chrono. Glass sunroof? If you are going for a PDK, you might want to go with the paddle shifters on the sport design wheel as I think they are way better than the awkward buttons on the multi function wheel.
+1...i have sport wheel and its got such a great feel. IMO the paddle shifters are a must with PDK, the buttons on the MFS wheel were not intuitive to me. I also agree Sport Chrono is a must, I love PDCC, full leather interior with 18way seats should also be considered. These are the most comfortable seats I've had in any of my previous vehicles and this is my DD.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:34 PM
arena-RTR
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pdxjim
Would add steering wheel heat. PCM is a nice addition too. PTV also.
PTV is standard on the Carrera S
Old 11-10-2012, 06:40 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by arena-RTR
PTV is standard on the Carrera S
Ah, did not know that - thx.

Quick Reply: ordering C2S -- input?