Sponsored by:

991S is special

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 07:25 AM
carrering
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 991S is special

Hey guys, I just had my 997.2 3RS serviced at my local Porsche Zentrum and they gave me a 991S PDK loaner. I drove it before and was impressed and this time I was able to directly compare the two cars as I took the same route and had the same tires PSS on both cars in about the same condition. The temperature was a bit cool but still sunny and dry and almost exactly the same time. I made note of my corner exit speed on a favorite off ramp of mine. 120kph in the 991S. 90kph in the RS. I drove my car second so I was looking for it. I just couldn't add more speed without feeling the car understeer. to sum it up, in the 991S I felt I could have gone in faster and exited a little more. it encouraged me to push it. with the RS I feel its on the edge and wants to kill me. actually love the feeling and challenge of the RS, but it definitely left me thinking of the 991S. I still do. I don't think I could part with my RS, but I would love to get a 991 to add to the stable.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:04 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Is MPSS now N rated on 991?

not seen any in UK showrooms
Old 11-04-2012, 02:43 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds about right for the conditions. Get the alignment done on the RS 3.8.
The 991 will reward driving the front wheels and steering through.
The RS demands attention to throttle steering.
Assuming the off ramp changes elevation, if it were uphill and reducing radius, the RS might be too toed in at the front, if downhill, it could be pretty normal, especially for cold tires at 60 mph with the driver trying to maintain a high entry speed.

ps. Don't risk eyeballing the speedo while sweeping blind turns at 100 km/h.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:34 PM
simsgw
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by carrering
Hey guys, I just had my 997.2 3RS serviced at my local Porsche Zentrum and they gave me a 991S PDK loaner. I drove it before and was impressed and this time I was able to directly compare the two cars as I took the same route and had the same tires PSS on both cars in about the same condition. The temperature was a bit cool but still sunny and dry and almost exactly the same time. I made note of my corner exit speed on a favorite off ramp of mine. 120kph in the 991S. 90kph in the RS. I drove my car second so I was looking for it. I just couldn't add more speed without feeling the car understeer. to sum it up, in the 991S I felt I could have gone in faster and exited a little more. it encouraged me to push it. with the RS I feel its on the edge and wants to kill me. actually love the feeling and challenge of the RS, but it definitely left me thinking of the 991S. I still do. I don't think I could part with my RS, but I would love to get a 991 to add to the stable.
The new chassis and suspension set-up is very impressive. I just chose one after back-to-back-to-back drives in my own 997.2S, a 2012 GT3, and a new Cab. The Cabriolet, a bloody Cab which versions of sports cars are supposed to be floopy gestures toward boulevardiers, was just as entertaining as a GT3 of the 997 generation. I really am looking forward to my new 991 and I was originally convinced I would keep looking back with nostalgia to my 997. I'm sold, not sold out.

Maybe those guys in Zuffenhausen know what they're doing after all. You'd think we'd be convinced after 65 years.

Gary
Old 11-04-2012, 06:38 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Now you know why the pros are chomping at the bit to get 991 based race cars.

Quick Reply: 991S is special