Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Basalt Black/Espresso Cab

Old 08-09-2012, 05:43 PM
pj1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Basalt Black/Espresso Cab

Hi Guys, well I pulled the trigger this week and ordered my new 991S Cab with an October build date. With luck I should be driving it by Thanksgiving (admittedly not the best time of year for a convertible...but I'm in California, so I'm hoping for a late winter...) Here's my build:

Black Basalt/Black Top
Espresso Natural Leather
Platinum Wheels

Premium Plus
PDK
SportDesign Wheel
Sport Chrono with yellow dial

Sport Exhaust
Black Gauges
Park Assist
Folding Ext. Mirrors
Deletion of Model Designation

I've never actually seen the Espresso interior in person, so I'm taking a flyer here...now the long wait begins... peter
Old 08-09-2012, 06:19 PM
HotLap
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Peter, it's a very classy color interior and wit the black it's going to be OUTSTANDING!! Congrats and the Fall is PERFECT cab weather in CA. I bought my new cab in late May and it's been too hot most of the time here in the 1000 Oaks area to fully enjoy top down yet. Will be awesome in a bit cooler weather!

Again awesome choice and enjoy...still not too late to ditch the PDK in favor of the MT
Old 08-09-2012, 07:16 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

excellent picture of espresso interior here:
http://www.porsche.com/microsite/911...rnational.aspx
Old 08-09-2012, 08:56 PM
skinzy
Instructor

Originally Posted by pj1
Hi Guys, well I pulled the trigger this week and ordered my new 991S Cab with an October build date. With luck I should be driving it by Thanksgiving (admittedly not the best time of year for a convertible...but I'm in California, so I'm hoping for a late winter...) Here's my build:

Black Basalt/Black Top
Espresso Natural Leather
Platinum Wheels

Premium Plus
PDK
SportDesign Wheel
Sport Chrono with yellow dial

Sport Exhaust
Black Gauges
Park Assist
Folding Ext. Mirrors
Deletion of Model Designation

I've never actually seen the Espresso interior in person, so I'm taking a flyer here...now the long wait begins... peter
I have seen it and its beautiful.
Old 08-09-2012, 09:15 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 326 Likes on 216 Posts

Yes, Espresso is a very rich interior. If you want you could even deviate the carpet to black. That would tie it in nicely with the exterior.
Old 08-10-2012, 12:08 AM
jjl
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i like the espresso leather, but personally i think it matches better with GT silver metallic or plain silver, i think it needs the contrast that black doesn't provide. just my 2 cents. regardless of your color combo, enjoy your new car.
Old 08-10-2012, 06:46 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jjl
i like the espresso leather, but personally i think it matches better with GT silver metallic or plain silver, i think it needs the contrast that black doesn't provide. just my 2 cents. regardless of your color combo, enjoy your new car.
would work with white too, but agree with the above
Old 08-10-2012, 12:52 PM
pj1
Intermediate

Thanks for the comments guys. I agree that black/brown won't offer much contrast, but it's a little variation from black/black, a common color scheme, which is basically monochrome. I also considered the black/platinum two tone, which would lighten things up. I'm trying to find one to look at in the Bay Area, so if anyone knows of one, I still have time to modify my order!
Old 08-10-2012, 01:26 PM
skinzy
Instructor

Originally Posted by pj1
Thanks for the comments guys. I agree that black/brown won't offer much contrast, but it's a little variation from black/black, a common color scheme, which is basically monochrome. I also considered the black/platinum two tone, which would lighten things up. I'm trying to find one to look at in the Bay Area, so if anyone knows of one, I still have time to modify my order!
I have the black/grey two tone and love it. Works great with black exterior!
Old 08-10-2012, 02:01 PM
pj1
Intermediate

Thanks Skinzy--any pics??
Old 08-10-2012, 07:25 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

pj1: Here are a couple of photos of BiColor 'Black/Platinum Grey' on a Racing Yellow 991 at Rennsport last October. I have more photos and information over on my thread 'Custom Ordering a 991, 'Porsche Exclusive' and You'.

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7085...e-and-you.html

Saludos,
Eduardo
Attached Images   
Old 08-10-2012, 09:17 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Yes, Espresso is a very rich interior. If you want you could even deviate the carpet to black. That would tie it in nicely with the exterior.
I'm not a lifetime appointee to the style council, but having seen espresso and having had a Meteor Grey Metallic 997.2 C4S Cabrio with Cocoa full leather and fabric top, I would go back and put in black carpets. I put in black floor mats and took out the matching mats just to "de-accentuate" a little, but would have liked to bring the floor carpet down to black. The console was in cocoa full leather too and I think that's a plus, but below the belt line, I'd have preferred black.

I think it's a matter of deciding where to accentuate and where to relieve the "fullness" of the cabin. In my eye, it's too much, it doesn't work to have the color scheme accent every layer, level and surface.

I'd also go for something other than the normal 991 accent surfaces (a sort of painted plastic to look like polish aluminum) and go with something like the piano black trim. I can't say what that looks like with espresso. I'd be searching all local Porsche dealers to find a new or used 997.2 in espresso and see what it looks like in various formats.

I may be completely 180 degrees wrong on this -- just food for thought.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:34 PM
aterpins
AutoX

Default some pics.

Hope you enjoy!
Attached Images    
Old 08-10-2012, 09:38 PM
skinzy
Instructor

My take on the black/grey two tone is that it reduces dash glare and provides a transition from inside out (assuming one has a black exterior). To my architect's eye it works well. I must say that porsche leather color options are not great. Will post some pics tomorrow.
Old 08-11-2012, 09:14 AM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Have seen this combo and it just did not work for me. The black exterior makes the expresso look maroon.
Not trying to be a tool, just keeping it real. We had this combo on a Cayenne Turbo that we eventually traded because it never had showroom appeal enough to spark a single interest in buying it.
The colors didn't go well together, IMO. YMMV

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Basalt Black/Espresso Cab