The Real Deal Targa Spy Pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 12:19 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Flat Targa Roof?

Originally Posted by fbroen
From spy shots, it does not appear that the roof panel will be flat. A shame IMO, that this will not give the Targa its distinct look of old.
Originally Posted by Carrera GT
The only thing on the aesthetics would be the importance of continuing their attention to the 911 silhouette and not give the Targa a peculiar "flat" roof.
We are getting nostalgic about the 'flatness' of the original Targa roof? Whatever slight curvature the new 991 Targa roof sports now will help measurably with aerodynamics and it's also a good design element. Given the technology available to Porsche back in the late 1960', 'flat' was the best they could then do! Today, with available material technology at their disposal, they are able to give that Targa roof a slight curvature to make air flow smoother over the top and create a very attractive profile, which mimics the attractive one on the 991 coupe! I, for one, don't have concerns in this area. On the other hand, I am worried about the weight of that super-structure, its complicated mechanicals and the possibility for rattles down the 'road', past the warranty period!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Attached Images   
Old 10-17-2012, 12:59 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

"which mimics the attractive one on the 991 coupe!"

The coupe mimics the coupe. I never did understand the obsession that the Cabriolet, and propably the Targa, mimic the coupe.

Now, I am a coupe person (no sunroof), so I am probably not the best judge of the other variants.
Old 10-17-2012, 12:41 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

any one remember the Honda CRX with its motorised flat roof thing ... the "targa roof panel" slid into a cassette that formed part of the boot (trunk). The boot raised to meet the panel
Old 10-17-2012, 12:45 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

don't see how the panel would get to its final resting open position .. need to have some sort of physical path to follow?
Old 10-17-2012, 02:20 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

How about an advanced digital system- i.e., where a person uses fingers to remove and fold the lightweight cloth covered magnesium half-top and stow it somewhere?

The the 997 crew could love the 991 for its traditional, retro "involvement".

Porsche marketing could take that far!
Old 10-17-2012, 02:41 PM
ISUK
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts

sfo,

That was my drawing. I had left out the mechanism but have added it (somewhat crudely) to this one. I anticipate that the targa will utilise the same front roof panel as the cabrio and that the rear glass window will use the same mechanism as the cabrio's rear clam that will allow it to lift upwards and swing back as the first part of the opening sequence.

The roof panel will then start it's retracting cycle. If you look at the test mules you'll note that the top corners of each side of the roll bar have shut lines. This suggests they are opening panels in much the same way that the 981 Boxster had hinged panels to hide the roof mechanism when the top is down. As these panel open they will allow the "targa" panel support arms to start telescoping upwards to lift the roof panel clear of the roll bar (A). As they do this the main support arms start to cycle back through 45 degrees and the inner telescopic section continues to extend (B) to allow the roof panel to glide backwards through a 45 degree arc but remain in the same upright position thanks to pivot hinges at the end of the support arms. The roof panel will stow in the same place as it does on the cabrio and the glass rear window then closes back into place. Presumably the leading edge and side lower edges of the glass window will have trim panels that hide the openings for the pivoting arm mechanism when the rear window is in the closed position.

Last edited by ISUK; 10-17-2012 at 04:22 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:03 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

that makes sense, thanks.

beginning to look like an elegant 21st century interpretation of the old style targa

I hope it's not 4WD like the 997 was
Old 10-17-2012, 05:31 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 111 Likes on 73 Posts

Brilliant ISUK! Thanks for adding this to our discussions here at Rennlist!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Carmel
Old 10-17-2012, 06:59 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ISUK
sfo,

That was my drawing. I had left out the mechanism but have added it (somewhat crudely) to this one. I anticipate that the targa will utilise the same front roof panel as the cabrio and that the rear glass window will use the same mechanism as the cabrio's rear clam that will allow it to lift upwards and swing back as the first part of the opening sequence.

The roof panel will then start it's retracting cycle. If you look at the test mules you'll note that the top corners of each side of the roll bar have shut lines. This suggests they are opening panels in much the same way that the 981 Boxster had hinged panels to hide the roof mechanism when the top is down. As these panel open they will allow the "targa" panel support arms to start telescoping upwards to lift the roof panel clear of the roll bar (A). As they do this the main support arms start to cycle back through 45 degrees and the inner telescopic section continues to extend (B) to allow the roof panel to glide backwards through a 45 degree arc but remain in the same upright position thanks to pivot hinges at the end of the support arms. The roof panel will stow in the same place as it does on the cabrio and the glass rear window then closes back into place. Presumably the leading edge and side lower edges of the glass window will have trim panels that hide the openings for the pivoting arm mechanism when the rear window is in the closed position.

While I really like the design, it leaves me with a few thoughts. One is it looks very complex, which would make it costly and prone to failure. My second concern is the rear seat rake of the cabrio, which is slanted forward, could be the same in this vehicle. This is suboptimal for my 9 and 11 year old kids, who can still fit in a coupe for a few years, but not well in the cabrio. Otherwise, it looks pretty awesome to me!
Old 10-17-2012, 07:09 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,096 Likes on 655 Posts

I want one. Looking at that drawing, I also want a 20 year extended warranty on the roof mechanism. Maybe 30 year.
Not wild about the talk of only on the C4S, but I want one...
Old 10-17-2012, 07:31 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure the roof mechanism is anymore complex than the cab mechanism. Maybe less so.

I'll wait to see the final product, but I'm intriqued. I would want the center bar to be structural though.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:46 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a bit perplexed. What does the targa offer that the cab does not? I've had 6 911 coupes and 2 cabs. I've never wanted a targa. The pre 993 Targas seemed neither "fish nor foul" in that they didn't have the strong structure of the coupe, nor the total open air motoring of the cab. The 993 targa was a good looking car but I kept reading about creaking and leaking issues. The 991 cab is stiff and quiet...way beyond what the 997.2 was, so I'm wondering what the 991 Targa has to offer?
Old 10-17-2012, 08:17 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 293 Likes on 144 Posts

The antithesis of the KISS principle.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:09 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Based on the drawing, I don't think anyone could be seating in the rear seat during the open/ close process.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:25 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by solomonschris
I am a bit perplexed. What does the targa offer that the cab does not? I've had 6 911 coupes and 2 cabs. I've never wanted a targa. The pre 993 Targas seemed neither "fish nor foul" in that they didn't have the strong structure of the coupe, nor the total open air motoring of the cab. The 993 targa was a good looking car but I kept reading about creaking and leaking issues. The 991 cab is stiff and quiet...way beyond what the 997.2 was, so I'm wondering what the 991 Targa has to offer?
Good point. For me it would be rear seat functionality. Also nostalgia and rarity I suppose; it would be a little uncommon.

Quick Reply: The Real Deal Targa Spy Pics