Sponsored by:

Why Porsche?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 10:11 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Just noticed your post about Marlboro in 1960. The SCCA President's Cup. I was there and got bit by the same bug. I recall the GM backed Vette Stingray SS of Dick Thompson, factory backed Bob Holbert in an RS-60, some newbee named Roger Penske in another one in a different class, and a birdcage Maserati. I never recovered!
And Bob Grossman's Ferrari, and how about Duncan Black's Daimler 250 going through the chicane. Roger Penske debuted his Zerex special there. It was a Cooper F1 car with a special body, his first of many "rule beaters". I have a friend who, against my advice, purchased Bruce Jennings' Carrera Speedster race car, with an extra 4cam motor for $13,000!
Old 01-17-2013, 10:25 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by solomonschris
And Bob Grossman's Ferrari, and how about Duncan Black's Daimler 250 going through the chicane. Roger Penske debuted his Zerex special there. It was a Cooper F1 car with a special body, his first of many "rule beaters". I have a friend who, against my advice, purchased Bruce Jennings' Carrera Speedster race car, with an extra 4cam motor for $13,000!
That was the first race I ever attended- drove half the night with a friend from Philly in a new Spriget with no top because his brother was helping out with a two year old Ferrari Testa Rosa of some denomination. Spectating at Marlboro was close enough that you were practically a participant. The parking lot and pits sort of ran together lol. The cars there would be worth a bazillion dollars today.
Old 01-17-2013, 11:09 PM
solomonschris
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Chuck, The track is still there, sort of. Grass long ago broke through the pavement, and the jungle is advancing on the perimeter. I pass it several times a week. My friend sold the Speedster a few yrs ago for around 500k. Today it is worth just south of two million I've been told. He is one of several of my friends who have gotten rich by ignoring my sage like advice. And your friend's 2 yr old Testa Rossa, what do you think that baby is worth? I don't know about you, but I'd trade all that money to do it all again
Old 01-17-2013, 11:57 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My dad had a '65 356 SC when I was a little kid. My first car was a '72 Bug - baby blue (maybe where my love of Gulf Blue came from). I always lusted after Porsches - it was always 959 > F40 for me. Started looking seriously at 911s just after I got out of the Marines. I'm on my 4th Porsche since 2006.... No other car I've owned/driven has the same build quality, fun to drive, handling, etc. When I had my RS4/Cayman combo, I missed a 911. Nothing drives like a 911.... Now I just need something air-cooled.

Quick Reply: Why Porsche?