Sponsored by:

My C4S build PDVG2785

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 08:08 PM
bhmkv
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sfo
brown exterior with brown interior may be too much brown?
this^
Old 10-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Rapture1
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I am concerned about the brown on brown myself, this is one of the reasons I'm going to go look at the combo in the flesh. I would consider the Umber but it's hard to find an actual car to view with that color. (at least where I live) I was really hoping that yellow, or white gauges and belts, and contrasting stitching may lighten up the interior and make it pop. I'm not a big fan of the Beige interior so the only other option would be a custom lighter brown.

I'll look at the Aluminum options, If I drop the power kit it makes things a bit more flexible.

Thanks everyone for your opinions, I really do appreciate them.
Old 10-03-2012, 08:52 PM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, I completely believe this is a joke posting.

This is $162K build, which is more than a Turbo S. Come on, brown with yellow? With that combination, the car is going to be about impossible to resale. There simply aren't people out there why are going to be interested in this combination. If someone were to actually try to build a car with this build sheet a dealer is going to want 10%+ down (non-refundable) at the time of order to make sure they don't get stuck with it. If the car were then traded in a year, it might even be hard to get $100K in trade-in due to the color combination. Bottom line, I think this is a whole BS thread.
Old 10-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Rapture1
Instructor

Sorry you feel that way, but it's not BS. I'm trying to find the right combo for me that is unique. That has always been something that has been important to me in a car. I plan on keeping it at least 5 years but to your point don't want to be buried in it. I have not ordered yet but can assure you by the time I do it will be a great build. I've purchased 8 cars (other makes) from my dealer so they know me well and frankly if they want more down payment than normal I could understand it. Also, I don't need a Turbo S but with the changes to the current model I feel a 4S could be a true daily driver in my climate.

I do appreciate your opinion though, and the reason I posted. I will most likely pass on the powerkit based on the feedback.

here is a link to the one I am going to check out in person to see how it looks.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...28036150&Log=0
Old 10-04-2012, 05:28 PM
Rapture1
Instructor

I updated the build based on thefeedback from the people here. Thanks very much for the comments.

New build for anyone interested, I'm sure I will still be tweaking it as it gets closer to ordering it. I did contact Melissa from Porsche Exclusive and she can help as I get closer to order. SHe did indicate that deviated stitching options should become available in mid January.

http://www.porsche-code.com/PD5HVN43
Old 10-04-2012, 06:58 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Contrast is your friend, I saw an anthracite metallic 991 with beige interior and deviated black dash and carpets, it looked absolutely fantastic!!
I would leave the crazy colored belts/dials for the GT3 guys.
+ 1 on the interior aluminum trim.

Last edited by Galion; 10-04-2012 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:58 PM
Rapture1
Instructor

So I thought I would provide an update. I did make a trip down to The Exchange outside of Chicago and they did have 2 Anthracite colored cars, both with Espresso interiors, one with the sport design front fascia. After seeing the Anthracite/Espresso in person, I was not in love with it. As several here said, a bit too much brown. I did however confirm that I really dig the Espresso, they also had an Umber interior on another 911 which was also nice, but I liked the Espresso more. Good to see them both in person.

I am now focusing on Silver/Espresso and leaning towards the GT Silver however, I have not seen that in the flesh yet either. They did have a Platinum and that color is also very nice.

I dropped the power kit, as after thinking on it hard could not justify the $$ for value. I added the aluminum interior pieces and some additional leather options.

I also had my dealer bring their demo car over which has Sport PASM and it had a hard time getting in to my underground parking, it made a slight scrape on the extended front spoiler so the sport design front fascia is out and I will need to go with normal PASM which actually may make more sense for a year round daily driver here in Wisconsin.

It's interesting how much you need to learn during your first time getting into this brand, lots of decisions which you want to get right.

I'm still pretty heavy on options but am looking forward to keeping this car a long time.

Here is the current build

http://www.porsche-code.com/PD4AB156

There are a number of items missing as they are not on the configurator at this time. I would like deviated silver stitching on all of the leather options. Melissa at Porsche Exclusive has been very helpful with both her opinion of the build and advice on the various options and what would be required for the deviated stitching.

Please feel free to comment as this forum has been very helpful with understanding the options and determining what makes sense to add/delete based on the knowledge of the product.

Thanks again,
Old 10-15-2012, 10:54 PM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

You're already in turbo country price wise, wait for the turbo.
Old 10-15-2012, 11:18 PM
djmiroku
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd go GT Silver w/Espresso interior. Get the yellow bits inside if you're getting PCCB, if you're getting red brakes go aluminum/silver stitching on the inside.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:00 AM
Rapture1
Instructor

Won't the Turbo be 175 and up? The 2012 I see on-line are in that range, particularly with high options.
Old 10-16-2012, 12:02 AM
Rapture1
Instructor

Originally Posted by djmiroku
I'd go GT Silver w/Espresso interior. Get the yellow bits inside if you're getting PCCB, if you're getting red brakes go aluminum/silver stitching on the inside.
No PCCB on this build, have the aluminum/silver stitching optioned.

Thanks,
Old 10-16-2012, 12:00 PM
watermelon
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapture1
No PCCB on this build, have the aluminum/silver stitching optioned.

Thanks,
He said that without PCCB, you'll get red brake calipers. So, this is not really a nice combination to have yellow bits inside if you have nothing yellow outside.

Usually, people takes coloured belts/dials to match outside color, but in your case yellow is even not matching brakes.

You also want to put the big "Carrera" silver stickers on the doors on a GT silver painted car ? It makes no contrast, and will look bad.

Basically, You should first take decision on exterior/interior colors (which should be in contrast), and then add highlight inside with coloured belts and dials, reusing the same exterior color.

Now, for example if the outside in black, you could put red stuffs inside if your brake calipers are red (ie: no PCCB) or yellow if PCCB optionned.

Last but not least, think about personnalizing rims colors if you want, but again this should be consistent with something else, or use black.

Sorry to say that, but currently your taste looks like sh*t because you are mixing colors without any logic..
Btw, Porsche configurator is not representative of the actual color when painted. For example, I highly prefer platinum silver compared to GT silver (which looks very boring to me).
Old 10-16-2012, 12:35 PM
Rapture1
Instructor

Originally Posted by watermelon
He said that without PCCB, you'll get red brake calipers. So, this is not really a nice combination to have yellow bits inside if you have nothing yellow outside.

Usually, people takes coloured belts/dials to match outside color, but in your case yellow is even not matching brakes.

You also want to put the big "Carrera" silver stickers on the doors on a GT silver painted car ? It makes no contrast, and will look bad.

Basically, You should first take decision on exterior/interior colors (which should be in contrast), and then add highlight inside with coloured belts and dials, reusing the same exterior color.

Now, for example if the outside in black, you could put red stuffs inside if your brake calipers are red (ie: no PCCB) or yellow if PCCB optionned.

Last but not least, think about personnalizing rims colors if you want, but again this should be consistent with something else, or use black.

Sorry to say that, but currently your taste looks like sh*t because you are mixing colors without any logic..
Btw, Porsche configurator is not representative of the actual color when painted. For example, I highly prefer platinum silver compared to GT silver (which looks very boring to me).
Hi Watermelon,

The current build is GT Silver with Espresso interior and deviated silver stitching. I have removed the yellow dials, now they are standard and have silver seat belts in replace of the yellow. I agree the configurator does not show color well and would only order the GT silver versus platinum if I can see an example in person, the samples at the dealer make it hard to tell what the car would look like. I appreciate your opinion on the platinum color, I do like it but also would like a more unique color if it looks great.

I was thinking the silver Carrera on the doors would be a bit more subtle than the black, but again it's hard to tell without actually seeing this option in person. The black for me may be a bit too bold, got to think about that.

Thanks,
Old 10-16-2012, 12:56 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapture1

I was thinking the silver Carrera on the doors
you will have Carrrea on the door sills, just behind the gearlever, and on the rear (if you don't delete).

do you like the word so much you have to have it on the doors too?

I would pay not to have Carrera on the doors, it's a bit like when cars had "Automatic" badges on the rear.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:42 PM
Rapture1
Instructor

Originally Posted by sfo
you will have Carrrea on the door sills, just behind the gearlever, and on the rear (if you don't delete).

do you like the word so much you have to have it on the doors too?

I would pay not to have Carrera on the doors, it's a bit like when cars had "Automatic" badges on the rear.
I did delete on the rear so this would be the only spot it would be found but I'm not looking for a billboard and if it appears tacky I would delete it. That's why I went tone on tone hoping it would be subtle but so hard to tell without seeing something on an actual car. My thought on the configurator build is that I would put most everything I could potentially want in the config and back out options by feedback from the folks here, the Porsche exclusive folks, my dealer’s thoughts and of course my own as I learn more about how things work on the Porsche. The feedback here has been useful and I hope I’m not considered a PITA.

For instance I think I want the multi function wheel due to having this on other cars and the convenience of control at your fingertips, but alternatively a combination of the stalk, and voice control along with the regular radio controls may work just as well. I actually think the sport wheel is a better looking piece. Here is where it is hard to judge when not familiar with the marque. In this case I need to go spend time in the car to fully understand what the differences really mean and how the controls work in either version.

Thanks,

Quick Reply: My C4S build PDVG2785