Sponsored by:

two color choices - yellow vs. platinum silver

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 08:12 PM
taibo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by clembo
If you read you own text, it appears that you really want the yellow, but may get the silver because it is a safer bet. Who cares about safe bets. You saved enough money to buy this great car, it is a celebration of your passion for Porsches combined with your success in life - go for it! If you played it safe all through life you probably would not be in a position to buy such an expensive toy.

I have had a silver Porsche, it was beautiful, so are the 991's in silver, they look great. But the yellow is special.

I split the difference and got the Aqua Blue, it is also beautiful.

Congratulations on your success, enjoy the decison making process, and have fun with your new toy!

First, thanks to all the great rennlisters who have weighed in on this thorny problem... I knew I could count on you guys. Its amazing how many like-minded fanatics there are on the internet, who can actually relate to my dilemma. Thanks to all of you for making me look perfectly sane.

Clembo, you know me better than I do!!! Yes its a right vs. left brain decision. I always forget which brain is logic vs. emotion, but yellow is obviously from the heart (and body parts below the waist) while silver comes from the cerebral cortex. The difficult thing about this decision is that i'm afraid I'll be both elated and regretful whichever way I go. Does that make any sense? If I go w my heart -yellow - I know there will be days that I'll say to myself - really? If go w silver though, I think I may have more regrets. As the pics posted in this thread can attest... yellow is one sexy color on a 991.

I've actually done different builds for silver and yellow c2s's. The silver config is plusher w 14-ways, full leather, premium package, more creature comfort options. The yellow goes with a base black interior and every performance option available. My two builds punctuate the radical contrast between my two color choices. I'm leaning towards the yellow (again) and bracing myself for all the midlife ribbing (though im beyond the midpoint at this stage!), but with twelve months to go before I pull the trigger, my dilemma could be red vs. White in a few weeks!

Aaaargh!
Old 09-27-2012, 08:14 PM
taibo
Instructor

Originally Posted by docmalone
I understand completely how difficult it is to decide; I just went through the same process between white and aqua blue metallic. I chose the more classic and conservative color for many reasons, but you will always have a time where you wish you had chosen the other color. The bottom line is, it is a Porsche 911. You will be happy driving it no matter what color it is. Go with the little voice in your head that keeps you leaning one way...
Doc. What made you decide to take the more conservative route?
Old 09-27-2012, 08:18 PM
taibo
Instructor

Originally Posted by hepmonk
It's a sports car! You're going to hear it from afar and you're going to see it from afar. Go yellow.

Hep. Nice yeller 991. notice you have the glass sunroof. There's an idea. The smoked top mellows the yellow a tad. Its not quite as over the top - pun intended.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:23 PM
taibo
Instructor

Originally Posted by ISUK
I had a platinum silver car on order before the official reveal of the 991. Once I saw Racing Yellow in the showroom alongside the silver it was no contest for me. You only live once so why bother if it attracts more attention. You earned it so buy whichever colour you like best.

Isuk. Same thing happened too me when I saw my first racing yellow down in san diego last week. Were your black wheels painted by Porsche? Or was it done by an independent shop? Looks sharp! Much nicer than the platinum wheels imo. Thats my car! whats the other yellow-green car in the background cayman r?

Last edited by taibo; 09-27-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:44 PM
taibo
Instructor

Originally Posted by steve g
buy the silver car and wrap it yellow

But seriously, congratulations on your choice and being able to buy a new one !
haha. best answer yet!!!
Old 09-27-2012, 11:27 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Welcome back taibo,....

For many years all I owned were Porsches in black, other dark colors and one silver. While all of them looked great I'm now mature enough to not give a lick about what others think, say or do about the decisions I make,.....If it really speaks to me, I make it happen.

About a year ago I saw a Cayman R in Guards Red with black wheels at my dealer,....that was all it took pure and simple, that WILL be my next color combo. So striking and different, not the "safe" choice of black, silver or even white now.

When I drive around today, that's all I see everywhere,....silver, grey and white. Nine out of every 10 cars is one of those colors. Sometimes it's almost depressing. Then a bright red, yellow, blue or even orange Porsche, Ferrari or Lambo makes an appearance and makes my neck snap and my mouth go wow!

That is exactly what I wanted for my next Porsche,....not really for other people to think that, but for ME to think that, I wanted to say WOW every time I walked into my garage and that is why I have a Guards Red with black wheels headed my way,....it's what truly spoke to me. Loud, sure,...attention getting, fine, awesome to look at, absolutely.

Not trying to bag on other owners as this surely is a most personal decision, so don't let anyone else make it for you,.....but my .02 says get the Yellow. My first test drive was in a yellow and it too is a fantastic color. Your not driving a stately sports sedan,....it's a Porsche. If you go WOW with the yellow versus the silver, you already made your choice, you just don't know it quite yet :-)

Good luck with it!
Old 09-28-2012, 02:45 AM
taibo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Welcome back taibo,....

For many years all I owned were Porsches in black, other dark colors and one silver. While all of them looked great I'm now mature enough to not give a lick about what others think, say or do about the decisions I make,.....If it really speaks to me, I make it happen.

About a year ago I saw a Cayman R in Guards Red with black wheels at my dealer,....that was all it took pure and simple, that WILL be my next color combo. So striking and different, not the "safe" choice of black, silver or even white now.

When I drive around today, that's all I see everywhere,....silver, grey and white. Nine out of every 10 cars is one of those colors. Sometimes it's almost depressing. Then a bright red, yellow, blue or even orange Porsche, Ferrari or Lambo makes an appearance and makes my neck snap and my mouth go wow!

That is exactly what I wanted for my next Porsche,....not really for other people to think that, but for ME to think that, I wanted to say WOW every time I walked into my garage and that is why I have a Guards Red with black wheels headed my way,....it's what truly spoke to me. Loud, sure,...attention getting, fine, awesome to look at, absolutely.

Not trying to bag on other owners as this surely is a most personal decision, so don't let anyone else make it for you,.....but my .02 says get the Yellow. My first test drive was in a yellow and it too is a fantastic color. Your not driving a stately sports sedan,....it's a Porsche. If you go WOW with the yellow versus the silver, you already made your choice, you just don't know it quite yet :-)

Good luck with it!
thanks rocketboy. good advice. yeah the yellow with black wheels just looks so cool... and you're right if this were a 7-series bmw, i'd never go yellow. its a 911....
Old 09-28-2012, 03:02 AM
ISUK
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by taibo
Isuk. Same thing happened too me when I saw my first racing yellow down in san diego last week. Were your black wheels painted by Porsche? Or was it done by an independent shop? Looks sharp! Much nicer than the platinum wheels imo. Thats my car! whats the other yellow-green car in the background cayman r?
Taibo,

My wheels are the factory painted black option. I had my dealer paint my callipers in Racing Yellow with black Porsche script as the standard finish red of the S model just did not look right against the rest of the car IMHO. I also added the black splash guards from the 997 speedster model to give the car a retro nod to the impact bumper cars. It helps to break up the yellow a little and looks striking when you see the car in person. I also have the PDLS headlight option which means the inside of the headlights is black as opposed to the standard grey finish. It finishes the two tone yellow and black theme off nicely.

My interior sounds like it's the look you are after as it's black. I added yellow seat belts to give it a touch of colour and connect the interior and exterior schemes together.

The green car is a Peridot Cayman R which is great fun to drive.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:25 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

Porsche has improved the yellow significantly with the 991. Take a chance.
Attached Images      
Old 09-28-2012, 08:29 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,100 Likes on 659 Posts

Why not order PTS? Really drive yourself crazy.
Or, silver with PCCBs and yellow seat belts. That way, you get both silver and yellow
Old 09-28-2012, 08:51 AM
pcar_finally
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the yellow makes you happy (not others, you) then I think for this much $$, you should get the yellow. I made the same choice with the Panamera I just got. Carmine Red made me and my family happy, and so we got it. Yes, it's very flashy, almost embarrassing to drive at times. But it makes us all smile when we see it. And yes, I'm sure the resale value will be less than if I had gotten silver. Oh well.

On the other hand, I should point out that my wife and I have DD's that are much more low key (a grey Touareg and a blue E350). So we do have cars we can drive to events where we just can't drive a "ooh look at me" car like the red GTS. So hopefully you have a backup car for those occasions.

Good luck with the choice! Good news is either way you'll have an amazing car.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:43 AM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

taibo- the kicker for me to go with white over aqua blue was a little incident I had with bird crap on my phantom black pearl R8. I do not want the worry and stress of keeping a metallic darker color free from blemishes because I will be driving this 991 5 days a week, no covered parking, etc, parking it in the blazing 110 Texas sun. I dare a bird to **** on my white baby!
Also, I was absolutely set on the blue interior and had too many people tell me I couldn't chance the combo with aqua blue as it would clash and look terrible.

I have to be honest, I would love either one and sometimes wish my salesman would flip a coin and surprise me.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:18 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

white and yachting blue is an excellent combination.

pics?
Old 09-28-2012, 11:28 AM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

Not yet, taibo. My completion date for my car is 10/27.
I will post a ton of pics when she comes in. I am literally bouncing with anticipation; which makes this whole process like a kid with Santa Claus! Who would have thought a 43 year old professional would be giggling like a schoolgirl over ordering a Porsche? Love it!!
Old 09-28-2012, 04:23 PM
ray991
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its of course a personal choice Taibo and on the OP you dont seem too convinced with the yellow option, but as a yellow 991 owner... I'd never miss a chance to go for yellow... again. It really suits the 991 and if its a keeper then no worry about the silly practicalities of resale. Its ok to be loud in a 911

Quick Reply: two color choices - yellow vs. platinum silver