Sponsored by:

two color choices - yellow vs. platinum silver

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2012, 10:16 PM
taibo
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default two color choices - yellow vs. platinum silver

hi all. i've returned to rennlist after a five year hiatus. sold my 97 993 c4s and dropped out of p-cars for a while. but the 991 has lured me back with a passion!!!

i've been playing with the configurators and have visited as many dealers up and down the "best" coast as possible to see as many colors as possible in person. i plan to purchase a c2s in the next year.

first a little background, i'm late-50s and semi-retired (by choice). i teach part-time in biz school these days to keep the noggin oiled. i'm no bill gates, but through a little luck and a lot of thriftiness, my wife and i should be able to live a comfortable lifestyle until whenever... at least that's what my spreadsheets tell me!!! kids are gone house is all, but paid for...

the 991 will be my first personally, spec'd brand spanking new p-car. I've owned a couple of used (but very nice) 993's in the past, and bought my first porsche, a used 73 911T almost 30 years ago. it was yellow, btw. right now i'm driving "transportation", and blow off steam on a bimmer r1100s (boxer cup replica) - its a moto.

the reason for the long bio is that the choice of color and options can't be discussed without a little context about me.

while i buy and sell used cars like baseball cards, i expect the 991 to be a keeper. its the only way i can justify paying up to $125k OTD for a depreciating asset (no matter how cool!). we still have a 2001 bmw 540 iT that we bought 12 years ago thru euro delivery.

i'm torn between a "practical", classy, platinum silver with two tone plat/black interior vs. the flashier racing yellow on black w black carrera s wheels.

i'm a pretty low-key guy and don't normally like to attract a lot of attention, but the yellow just looks sportier and more visceral. it looks more like a sports car. the silver looks great, catches the light nicely, but looks a little boring IMO (no offense to silver owners) and doesn't communicate the 991's sporting nature.

what do you guys think? what are the pro's and cons. i'm planning to keep the car for a long time, but the practical side of me is telling me that if i decided to sell (to upgrade to the 992 in seven years ) that the silver would appeal to a broader audience and maybe hold its value slightly better. and the yellow might be too flashy for me and i'd feel a little too conspicuous in it.

help me. great to be back on rennlist.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:23 AM
David in Talent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is a very PSERSONAL choice, but I would go with Platinum with an Expresso leather interior....very classy.
Old 09-27-2012, 02:30 AM
duxsi
Burning Brakes

Received 180 Likes on 120 Posts

In my humble opinion I'd recommend Plat Silver.
Yellow may become passe with time and more importantly it's A LOT more flashy than Plat Silver.
Yellow SCREAMS notice me, even if you were to arrive in a Lada. Hence not the best choice to avoid attention.

But that's just my opinion based on not knowing anything about your lifestyle or social circles.
Either way you can't go wrong..
Old 09-27-2012, 03:37 AM
DBYT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Taibo,
Welcome back! Totally understand where you are coming from. I also made the jump from a 993 to 991 as nothing in-between really appealed to me enough to plonk down the 125k. Like you, my 991S is also my very first ever, fully bespoke new Porsche, which I intend to keep.

If you don't like attracting attention and are going to keep the car for a long time, yellow might not be the best color but it is your car and up to you. From what you have said, about being low key etc, yellow does not gel.

Have you thought of adding there customized touches on the interior to enhance the exterior color? For example, body kit, painted exterior parts, deviated stitching for interior etc.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:01 AM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

iMO Platinum silver is very far from boring, it shows the lines beautifully and changes between diferent tones of silver with the light.
Get the carrera S wheels you like in satin platinum + spacers and you have one sporty looking 911
Old 09-27-2012, 04:17 AM
ISUK
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts

I had a platinum silver car on order before the official reveal of the 991. Once I saw Racing Yellow in the showroom alongside the silver it was no contest for me. You only live once so why bother if it attracts more attention. You earned it so buy whichever colour you like best.

Old 09-27-2012, 09:41 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

I find my platinum silver 991 so boring that I don't got down to the garage more than several times a week between daily drives to admire it. If I was ordering the car now I would get silver stitching for the full leather interior and the platinum wheels to make it a bit more of the same kind of boring. The silver also has a way of catching the light that I just like.

The Yellow looks amazing. But like pants I could not wear it everwhere. The real beauty in any case is in the driving, where I find my 991 is never boring and often astounding.

Last edited by chuckbdc; 09-27-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:50 AM
hepmonk
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a sports car! You're going to hear it from afar and you're going to see it from afar. Go yellow.
Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2012, 12:02 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

that looks like speed yellow ..
Old 09-27-2012, 12:13 PM
hepmonk
Advanced

It's racing yellow. Looks a little different in bright sunlight and when it's cloudy.
Old 09-27-2012, 12:45 PM
docmalone
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts

I understand completely how difficult it is to decide; I just went through the same process between white and aqua blue metallic. I chose the more classic and conservative color for many reasons, but you will always have a time where you wish you had chosen the other color. The bottom line is, it is a Porsche 911. You will be happy driving it no matter what color it is. Go with the little voice in your head that keeps you leaning one way...
Old 09-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

This!

Last edited by Galion; 12-18-2014 at 11:04 PM.
Old 09-27-2012, 04:18 PM
clembo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

If you read you own text, it appears that you really want the yellow, but may get the silver because it is a safer bet. Who cares about safe bets. You saved enough money to buy this great car, it is a celebration of your passion for Porsches combined with your success in life - go for it! If you played it safe all through life you probably would not be in a position to buy such an expensive toy.

I have had a silver Porsche, it was beautiful, so are the 991's in silver, they look great. But the yellow is special.

I split the difference and got the Aqua Blue, it is also beautiful.

Congratulations on your success, enjoy the decison making process, and have fun with your new toy!
Old 09-27-2012, 05:18 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why pay for a color when you like the free (included) yellow which is very attractive indeed. It appears your sense of thrift has made you comfortable at this stage of life. So why kick the good habit?

Also, perhaps I have it wrong, but I believe in a sports car you are differentiating yourself from the run of the mill cars on the road, and as such the color of this sports car should also be differentiated. i.e. you should get a color you might not dare to chose on a sedan or suv i.e. red or yellow

Having said that I really like silver, a very practical color, but I will get it on my bentley when I am 55.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:50 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

buy the silver car and wrap it yellow

But seriously, congratulations on your choice and being able to buy a new one !

Quick Reply: two color choices - yellow vs. platinum silver