Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is there a way to disable the hill-holding feature

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 04:13 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

Someone told me by disabling the clutch pedal switch, it will disable the road-holding function.It makes sense and I might give it a try.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:40 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

I don't like the feature either. Been driving manuals for years. Never had a problem. One of the first drives in the 911 and I stalled the car! Good thing the autorestart kicked in.

To say all you have to do is to let out the clutch slower and give it more gas, is like saying all you have to do on a hill is be faster letting out the clutch to the bite point on a car that doesn't have the feature. Where's the benefit to experienced drivers that know how to drive on a hill?

Having to relearn around a useless feature sure sounds like a good reason to have a disable switch.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:13 PM
sjglaser
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have about 600 miles on my 911T. Having owned a manual 996 and then a 997.2 with PDK I found the feature disconcerting at the beginning. I found that once I trusted that the car would not roll back, I simply take my time engaging the clutch, not very differently from the vehicle being on a level plane, and everything unfolds nicely. After a while it really is a handy aide. Go with the flow and you may find it to be a nice feature. Regards, -S
Old 04-15-2018, 07:26 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by DanQ
I don't like the feature either. Been driving manuals for years. Never had a problem. One of the first drives in the 911 and I stalled the car! Good thing the autorestart kicked in.

To say all you have to do is to let out the clutch slower and give it more gas, is like saying all you have to do on a hill is be faster letting out the clutch to the bite point on a car that doesn't have the feature. Where's the benefit to experienced drivers that know how to drive on a hill?

Having to relearn around a useless feature sure sounds like a good reason to have a disable switch.
"One of the first drives in the 911 and I stalled the car! " which is why you need it.

"Having to relearn around a useless feature sure sounds like a good reason to have a disable switch" Why do you have to learn it?

post is one big contradiction in terms
Old 04-15-2018, 07:43 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

I like German engineering. But at times instead of keeping it simple, there is a tendency to over-engineer things unnecessarily. There is always the PDK for those that hate the manual so why incorporate a feature that 99% of us driving the manual doesn't need. I don't know about others, but if my car is mechanically sound I've never gone backwards on start even on the steepest incline.
Old 04-15-2018, 07:50 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

I believe that without the hill holding feature, Porsche would have had to incorporate a manual hand brake in the manual transmission cars. How else can you modulate the clutch in hilly places such as SF?
Old 04-15-2018, 10:27 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Originally Posted by henryting
Someone told me by disabling the clutch pedal switch, it will disable the road-holding function.It makes sense and I might give it a try.
Might make it hard to start the car.

In all sreriousness, doubt that will work. All modern Porsches have this. My wife’s Cayenne is an auto and has it. Loaner Macans and Pannys it’s PDK that I have had also have the feature. And nary a clutch pedal in sight.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:16 PM
1analguy
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by visitador
I believe that without the hill holding feature, Porsche would have had to incorporate a manual hand brake in the manual transmission cars. How else can you modulate the clutch in hilly places such as SF?
This made me realize something...this is Porsche we're talking about here. Why didn't they offer Hill Hold as a stupid-expensive option like they do with everything else (Power Steering Plus)? It's just a couple of lines of added code. They love to gouge for this kind of stuff. And since it's so unpopular, making it an option should have been a no-brainer. As to having it as a menu choice, my '11 Golf TDI had it as a variable menu choice (on/off/length of time before releasing, etc.), so Porsche should have been able to figure it out, too.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:04 PM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 1analguy
This made me realize something...this is Porsche we're talking about here. Why didn't they offer Hill Hold as a stupid-expensive option like they do with everything else (Power Steering Plus)? It's just a couple of lines of added code. They love to gouge for this kind of stuff. And since it's so unpopular, making it an option should have been a no-brainer. As to having it as a menu choice, my '11 Golf TDI had it as a variable menu choice (on/off/length of time before releasing, etc.), so Porsche should have been able to figure it out, too.
Got stats for that?
Old 05-09-2018, 08:50 AM
B.Curvin
Rennlist Member

Since this thread was re-awakened, I'll throw my .02 in. I HATE hill hold assist. Has anyone figured out a definitive way to disable? I have a 2009 Cayman.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:00 AM
911sccab
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary JR
Got stats for that?
Seriously?

How many multi-page threads on this topic do we need until you'll concede it's unpopular?

I do believe it's intrusiveness is very dependent on driving conditions. It seems folks that live in relatively flat areas never notice it and don't understand the fuss. I live in Pittsburgh. I've currently got 7 other standard shifts, dating back to big-block 4-speed American iron. The only time I have trouble starting on a hill is when my hill-holder Porsche won't release the brakes and it stalls. Its simply infuriating when you know how to drive and the car won't let you. I leased a Fiesta ST with a hill holder. Ford lets you disable it with a couple on-screen selections, but it worked so well I left it on.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:10 AM
ATLBond
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by william_b_noble
the new 991s have this very annoying feature of putting on the brakes for you when you are stopped on a hill so the car doesn't roll back - that might be great if you never drove a car with a clutch, but I find it hugely annoying - it makes me stall the car or nearly stall the car because I'm fighting the brake and the hill. Is there some switch action to tell the car computer that this particular assistance is not helpful? - I finally noticed there is a little green indicator on the dash that tells you when this feature activates, but some help that is - I guess I can over-rev it to get started and I won't notice, but I like to drive smoothly (I got about 140K miles on the first clutch in my 993) - so far this is the second most annoying feature in the 991 (the most annoying is that stupid rubber lip on the front that drags on the ground all the time - mine fell off and got lost in the first 150 miles, after I put it back on at least 10 times. good riddance, though the car looks odd without it.
Hill hold feels completely natural and unobtrusive. I am so glad I have it in my 991.2 MT C2S. I have never stalled because of it, am surprised you have. Maybe you want to check if your hill hold is applying more than normal pressure at the brakes. I also got FAL (Front Axle Lift) to avoid scrapping front lip. I have a steep drive way and I cannot take my car out or park it in without turning it on. Don't know if you can get retrofitted with that feature; you may want to explore that with your dealer.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:48 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 911sccab
Seriously?

How many multi-page threads on this topic do we need until you'll concede it's unpopular?
Seriously?

Satisfied users have no reason to post.
Old 05-09-2018, 10:59 AM
911boy
Three Wheelin'

Received 135 Likes on 106 Posts

I really don't see how this hill hold could possibly be construed as a problem. Makes hills way easier and easier on the clutch as well.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:20 AM
pt911
Track Day

I hated the hill hold when I first got my 2010 Cayman...I had been driving a manual for a couple of decades and I would constantly stall the car! It drove me nuts! The problem I have now is that, although I have gotten used to the hill hold (and definitely appreciate it at times!), it has made me a little lazier with my clutch foot if that makes sense....to the point where when I'm driving my older 911 or 356 I find myself rolling backwards! I need to readjust my timing depending on vehicle which is a bit of a pain...

Quick Reply: is there a way to disable the hill-holding feature