Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is there a way to disable the hill-holding feature

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 03:31 AM
jdsc
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you on the Auto-Hold function. If I could disable it I would. I've had issues where I stalled the car not realizing it was engaged and have almost gotten rear ended. Not a good feeling in a brand new car. FWIW the Auto-Hold is a function of the PSM logic. If the car doesn't move for 5 minutes or it senses the driver is leaving the car, it then transfers to the electric parking brake system.
It is probably not something that can be disabled and I've resigned myself to watch for the engagement light and learn to live with it. But, I could sure do without it......
Old 09-28-2012, 10:12 PM
Zmoney3982
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

The hill hold function only comes on if you engage the clutch while on a hill prior to releasing the brake pedal. If you release the brake, then engage the clutch and go to first gear the hill hold function will NOT operate.
I agree with you on disliking the hill hold function. I have driven manual for 10 years now and don't care for it at all; I also find myself giving way more gas than I normally would to start in first gear.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:29 PM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 413 Likes on 179 Posts

It's a nice feature. It is helpful at an intersection where a left turn is required off of an extremely steep road from a dead stop.
Old 09-30-2012, 03:02 AM
william_b_noble
Burning Brakes

so, you are saying that if, on a hill, I release the brake first, allowing the car to roll back while I press the clutch and engage a gear it won't engage? that sounds very odd. could you explain that again please?

I am reasonably certain that everyone who is fully comfortable with a clutch will find it annoying and those who are reasonably new to using a clutch will like it. However, it doesn't matter, "I" don't like it and so turning it off will make me happier. on the other hand "I" do like the feature that turns the engine off when you are stopped, in neutral with the clutch not depressed.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:39 PM
Zmoney3982
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

William, what you said in the first part is correct.
If you are waiting at a red light on an incline with the car in neutral and your foot on the brake, you can do 1 of 2 things:
1) Keep foot on brake while depressing clutch and put in first gear -- Activates Hill Hold Function
2) Take foot off brake, depress clutch and put in first gear -- No hill hold function.
Try it. The green lit HOLD sign should not show if you do the second option.
I always drive in SPORT mode so the auto shut off does not affect me.
I have been driving with a clutch for roughly ten years so the hill hold function is useless to me and just causes me to stall or burn more gas than i normally would.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:54 PM
PCC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
I cannot for the life of me see why you can't just learn to make good use of the feature instead of griping about it. I'm into my fourth decade of driving and live in the mountains where hill starts are as much a part of daily life as mist and rain. So it's not as though I NEED the feature. But it makes pulling away on a hill a little easier for everyone, you and me included. What's the problem?
Are you that self-centered that you think just because you like the feature everyone should like the feature? My 8 year is that way. I hate the feature also.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:34 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Received 233 Likes on 168 Posts

I'm hearing conflicting option on whether this function can be disabled. Someone which I regard as quite knowledgeable in Porsche says that it can be disabled through the DME software and yet a dealership service told me otherwise. So the conclusion is "don't know". Boy, I agree, it is a useless function as far as I'm concerned.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:11 PM
Porsche Jeff
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

OP I feel your pain on both counts. I'm really not a fan of the hill feature and also lost my front spoiler lip , but at 17,000 miles.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:23 PM
AnandN
Rennlist Member

Received 361 Likes on 235 Posts

I don't know. I hardly ever notice it in my 991.2 4s or in my previous Porsche. Slight incline it doesn't engage. Hard stop on a hill, it comes on but I don't have problems with it. I guess some folks can't get used it.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:54 PM
Jaws1
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by Porsche Jeff
OP I feel your pain on both counts. I'm really not a fan of the hill feature and also lost my front spoiler lip , but at 17,000 miles.
im sure his pain has been alleviated. Time heals all wounds since his post was almost 6 years ago!
Old 04-14-2018, 10:10 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 180 Posts

Deleted
Old 04-14-2018, 11:19 PM
bkrantz
Rennlist Member

Received 953 Likes on 567 Posts

First, philosophically, I agree. Every feature on every car should be easy to turn off or modify.

Second, the Hill Assist comes on after releasing the brake, if the car is in gear and has the clutch pedal depressed, and on a sufficient incline. I cannot think of a reasonable way that a driver can start from a dead stop facing uphill without triggering the assist.

So, until somebody invents a defeat method, why not embrace it? Deliberately taking your foot off the brake, and then starting out using the gas and clutch should be more reliable than ignoring the Hill Assist, and having it suddenly intervene, disrupting your 3 pedal dance, and stalingl the engine.
Old 04-15-2018, 06:49 AM
amet
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 36 Posts

Driving without fastening seat belt will disable this feature I think, it did this on my VW CC and its the same on my 2012.5 991. YMMW as it could be country specific coding.

before anyone goes crazy that driving without seatbelt fastened is a bad idea, I am not saying you should ... just pointing out what disables it
Old 04-15-2018, 08:45 AM
Gary JR
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
I cannot for the life of me see why you can't just learn to make good use of the feature instead of griping about it. I'm into my fourth decade of driving and live in the mountains where hill starts are as much a part of daily life as mist and rain. So it's not as though I NEED the feature. But it makes pulling away on a hill a little easier for everyone, you and me included. What's the problem?
Thank goodness for this feature when I have the car up in the mountains. In fact I thought it was now DOT mandated.
Old 04-15-2018, 02:41 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,524 Likes on 1,571 Posts

Volvo does this best. On their new HMI you have a screen with the ability to turn on and off almost every single system or feature. It's great.

My '99 Jeep and '07 Acura has this too. Ability to change things as crazy as the sensitivity of the auto headlights. No reason to have this skipped in this day and age. Just pure laziness.

Quick Reply: is there a way to disable the hill-holding feature