Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you guys are tracking your 991s ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 11:34 AM
CSK 911 C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 401 Posts

I think I'm on the track every time I drive my car does that count?
Old 08-02-2015, 11:55 AM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by BradB
I have a 2014 C2S. Sport seats, PDK, sport chrono, PDCC, sports exhaust. This is my second season of tracking. I do 5-6 events a season. Upgraded brake fluid is recommended. I used ATE last year but prefer the Motul 600 I'm using now. Pagid RS29 Yellow brake pads are the way to go. Long lasting and easy on rotors. I use MPSS tires on 19" BBS wheels.

I just got back from Mid Ohio.
How's the wear on the MPSS? I assume your car is fully stock, so how's the shoulder wear? Surprised that you are using MPSS. Those tires typically overheat and gets greasy pretty quick.

Would love to see some videos as well.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:11 PM
BradB
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

I get a whole season on them. The only bad degredation I have is on one front tire I let over inflate. Otherwise it's pretty normal. The shoulders are fine. They get greasy as they approach max inflation due to heat. That takes 30 minutes. I start in the low 32ish pounds and max you want is 40. I haven't found a better tire yet that allows me to drive out of state to the track, have a weekend on track and then drive back home.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:20 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

I get a whole season on them. The only bad degredation I have is on one front tire I let over inflate. Otherwise it's pretty normal. The shoulders are fine. They get greasy as they approach max inflation due to heat. That takes 30 minutes. I start in the low 32ish pounds and max you want is 40. I haven't found a better tire yet that allows me to drive out of state to the track, have a weekend on track and then drive back home.
Good to hear, what alignment setting are you running (guess PDCC helps with the shoulder wear a lot as well since it eliminates all body roll essentially)? What wheels are those? What's your opinion on PDCC on track btw?

Pilot Sport Cup 2 would be a good tire to try next I would imagine.

Sorry for the load of question. Just want to gather some info on these chassis since I am looking to replace my BMW with a 991 down the line.

Thanks again for the information!

Last edited by cloud9blue; 08-02-2015 at 03:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-02-2015, 01:26 PM
Michael15
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info on the MPSS! I plan on replacing my Pzero's before my first track day. I still have enough wear for another AX or two! Can't wait to get my 991 to the track, that's one off the reasons I bought the car!
Old 08-02-2015, 01:29 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

You might want to start at a lower psi. No experience tracking MPSC, but on my Hoosier R6's I start at 25 cold, and find the sweet spot for grip at 30 hot. On the occasion it gets to 35-40 hot, my grip goes away big time.
Old 08-02-2015, 01:31 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

I'll be back on the track next year with one of my cars, just not sure which one at this point. Most likely be the Cayman, but it could be all three. I'm too old, too tired and too sick of spending insane amounts of money on a track habit to do a full track prep on my cars, so I'll be going basically stock.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:02 PM
BradB
Drifting

Originally Posted by cloud9blue
Good to hear, what alignment setting are you running (guess PDCC helps with the shoulder wear a lot as well since it eliminates all body roll essentially)? What wheels are those? What's your opinion on PDCC on track btw?

Pilot Sport Cup 3 would be a good tire to try next I would imagine.

Sorry for the load of question. Just want to gather some info on these chassis since I am looking to replace my BMW with a 991 down the line.

Thanks again for the information!
I LOVE the PDCC. The car corners so flat. Yet it has such a supple ride for the street. It's a win-win for a track/street car. My alignment is stock. Haven't touched it yet. Yes, the car has some under steer I could help with some more negative camber. But I can't see any major changes in my future. I don't want camber plates or anything that might hurt the great daily driver ride quality. My wheels are BBS CH-R. Very high quality at a decent price. There are lighter wheels but I like the look and the fit/offset is perfect.

I think Pilot Sport Cups are $$$ but that might be something to look at. Full on R compounds are not in my future since I have no trailer.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:12 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Same here, love the PDCC. Couldn't recommend it more. Fantastic on the street and I imagine it's going to be great on the track as well. My Carrera has PCCB brakes too though, and I'm not sure I want to track those, given the issues people have had with those and the cost of replacement. I'm likely going to drop an X73 suspension in my Cayman over the winter and use that at the track instead.
Old 08-02-2015, 02:25 PM
simplex
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I frequently track and occasionally autox mine. It does great in both.
The car is stock, except the tires, (MPSC2).
Old 08-02-2015, 02:27 PM
BradB
Drifting

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Same here, love the PDCC. Couldn't recommend it more. Fantastic on the street and I imagine it's going to be great on the track as well. My Carrera has PCCB brakes too though, and I'm not sure I want to track those, given the issues people have had with those and the cost of replacement. I'm likely going to drop an X73 suspension in my Cayman over the winter and use that at the track instead.
I had a Cayman I tracked before I bought the 991. The Cayman is a really great platform.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:15 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

I LOVE the PDCC. The car corners so flat. Yet it has such a supple ride for the street. It's a win-win for a track/street car. My alignment is stock. Haven't touched it yet. Yes, the car has some under steer I could help with some more negative camber. But I can't see any major changes in my future. I don't want camber plates or anything that might hurt the great daily driver ride quality. My wheels are BBS CH-R. Very high quality at a decent price. There are lighter wheels but I like the look and the fit/offset is perfect.

I think Pilot Sport Cups are $$$ but that might be something to look at. Full on R compounds are not in my future since I have no trailer.
Great, few last questions, does your car have SPASM? Or just the standard PASM?

I would try upsizing the front tires to 255 or even 265, if you don't want to mess with the stock suspension. I would highly recommend stepping up to MPSC2 or something equivalent (street orientated R compounds like NT01 are great opinions too, but I am not sure if they sell them in 991 sizes), given that you track a decent amount, they might actually last quite a bit longer than MPSS on the track since the compounds can handle the heat better.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:27 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
You might want to start at a lower psi. No experience tracking MPSC, but on my Hoosier R6's I start at 25 cold, and find the sweet spot for grip at 30 hot. On the occasion it gets to 35-40 hot, my grip goes away big time.
Absolutely right. Tires do not get "greasy", that is a misnomer used by guys who haven't figured out this is what happens to all tires when they let the heat of hard use cause the tires to become over inflated. The best way of avoiding this is to check pressure immediately after each run and bleed out whatever it takes to get down to your ideal pressure, in your case 30.
Old 08-02-2015, 03:31 PM
cloud9blue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuck911
Absolutely right. Tires do not get "greasy", that is a misnomer used by guys who haven't figured out this is what happens to all tires when they let the heat of hard use cause the tires to become over inflated. The best way of avoiding this is to check pressure immediately after each run and bleed out whatever it takes to get down to your ideal pressure, in your case 30.
Actually, if your car is camber challenged, it might be better to run a slightly higher psi to prevent the tires from rolling on its shoulder too much. But on the other hand, MPSS overheats very easily, trust me . 40 psi is ok on certain street tires, but you need to pay attention on the wear pattern after each session just to be sure. Tire construction varies a lot from model to model, what works well for one tire might not be true for another, especially when comparing street to race tires.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:30 PM
BradB
Drifting

Originally Posted by cloud9blue
Great, few last questions, does your car have SPASM? Or just the standard PASM?

I would try upsizing the front tires to 255 or even 265, if you don't want to mess with the stock suspension. I would highly recommend stepping up to MPSC2 or something equivalent (street orientated R compounds like NT01 are great opinions too, but I am not sure if they sell them in 991 sizes), given that you track a decent amount, they might actually last quite a bit longer than MPSS on the track since the compounds can handle the heat better.
My car has the regular PASM. As much as I appreciate the track friendly SPASM, I didn't like the ride quality around my pothole infested town so I specifically ordered PASM. No regrets.

I like your idea about tire upsizing in the front. I did that when I was tracking an E46 M3 and it helped a lot. I may try that when these tires burn out. I need to investigate sizes and tire availability. I'll probably get new ones over the winter.

Are MPSC2 and NT01 tires capable of driving distances to and from the track? And are they ok in the rain? I don't have any experience with either tire brand. It's always a compromise when I can't dedicate a tire for track only use. What I buy has to do everything.

Quick Reply: How many of you guys are tracking your 991s ?