Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wondering if the PDK will let me....?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2012, 10:15 AM
Sebljo
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wondering if the PDK will let me....?

I will soon take delivery of a 2013 991 with PDK and PSE that has been on order for several weeks. With the selector in the manual mode, and in first gear, will I be a able to rev the engine a little when the vehicle is stopped, or slowing down while coming to a stop [for example, while sittng at a stop light, or coasting into a parking space] as one can do with a MT?
Old 09-22-2012, 10:45 AM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 583 Posts

No. The car goes if you hit the gas.
Old 09-22-2012, 11:03 AM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Rumor floating around suggests that pulling on both paddles (aka Ferrari) will put PDK in neutral. Always meant to try it at the dealer, but never remembered. Then you should be able to rev a bit and then pull the up paddle to place in gear again. Anyone try this?,....does it work with wheel buttons also?
Old 09-22-2012, 12:00 PM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Rumor floating around suggests that pulling on both paddles (aka Ferrari) will put PDK in neutral. Always meant to try it at the dealer, but never remembered. Then you should be able to rev a bit and then pull the up paddle to place in gear again. Anyone try this?,....does it work with wheel buttons also?
This is correct. Pull both paddles for neutral. You can only reengage first gear by placing foot on brake and pulling paddle again. If you want some revs you'll need temprarily to use that left foot for the brake
Old 09-22-2012, 02:15 PM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Yes this works, then again the same thing could be achievable by simply reving in neutral and dropping it into gear - just like we used to do to our parents automatics when learning to drive! Anyone with a leased 991 they're not attached to want to try a high rpm clutch drop and report back if it works like launch control?
Personally, I skipped sport chrono just to avoid the temptation of launch control (and I have no need for off-track redline shifts). I had an Audi TTS with launch control and pretty much buggered up the first gear clutch from the abuse. The PDK in this car is so smooth and I'd like it to stay that way. By the way, these cars definitely improve with mileage and use. My Carrera finally feels like it has 350HP and I'm definitely looking forward to a track event next month!
Old 09-22-2012, 02:41 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
This is correct. Pull both paddles for neutral. You can only reengage first gear by placing foot on brake and pulling paddle again. If you want some revs you'll need temprarily to use that left foot for the brake
Interesting, must be a new PDK feature on the 991. The version in my '09 C2S won't do that.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:43 PM
rodsky
Rennlist Member

Received 856 Likes on 583 Posts

Originally Posted by WCE
Personally, I skipped sport chrono !
I think thats a mistake - regardless of LC. I have probably used LC 5 times in 18000 miles but use SC to adjust settings every time i drive it. If you get PDK you must get SC. Normal mode is very "boring". BTW, you can retrofit without the dash "wart". Although I like the wart.
Old 09-22-2012, 04:34 PM
Sebljo
AutoX

Follow-up: Does the car have to come to a complete stop with your foot on the brake before it will allow you to place it back in gear, or can you put it back in gear from nuetral while slow rolling?
Old 09-22-2012, 05:33 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Cool, now someone with a multi-function wheel needs to test it out with the buttons. Can't see why it wouldn't do the same thing pulling both buttons.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:22 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
Cool, now someone with a multi-function wheel needs to test it out with the buttons. Can't see why it wouldn't do the same thing pulling both buttons.
When you pull both paddles at the same time, you are simultaneously signalling for an upshift and a downshift. When you pull both buttons each button is signalling for a downshift since they are redundant. You may be right, it might work, but they would have had to design PDK to respond to different commands with the buttons than with the paddles. Or maybe push on one button and pull on the other....but which one to push and which one to pull?
Old 09-22-2012, 07:51 PM
peterm
Racer

you could push pull with the toggles- Ill try it tomorrow!

Btw when you shift to neutral youll need apply the brake to releasse the interlock and go into drive
Old 09-22-2012, 08:06 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Mike in CA
When you pull both paddles at the same time, you are simultaneously signalling for an upshift and a downshift. When you pull both buttons each button is signalling for a downshift since they are redundant. You may be right, it might work, but they would have had to design PDK to respond to different commands with the buttons than with the paddles. Or maybe push on one button and pull on the other....but which one to push and which one to pull?
Good point!,....yes peterm, let us know the results please!
Old 09-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Sloopy
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WCE
Yes this works, then again the same thing could be achievable by simply reving in neutral and dropping it into gear - just like we used to do to our parents automatics when learning to drive! !
Here I thougt I was special.
Old 09-23-2012, 04:45 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Originally Posted by Sebljo
Follow-up: Does the car have to come to a complete stop with your foot on the brake before it will allow you to place it back in gear, or can you put it back in gear from nuetral while slow rolling?
You can slip in and out of neutral any time, rolling or at a complete stop. It's a great feature.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:18 PM
Alsarkal
Track Day

Tried to do it with the buttons but couldn't get it work.

Quick Reply: Wondering if the PDK will let me....?