Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

went for a C2S instead of C4S order

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 10:52 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 251 Likes on 154 Posts

I test drove a 997c4 before I bought my 991sc2. I did not like the steering feel in the c4. IMHO, awd is for jeeps and suvs. Sports cars do best with rwd.
Old 11-03-2012, 02:08 AM
fester
Rennlist Member

Received 116 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by parkerfe
I test drove a 997c4 before I bought my 991sc2. I did not like the steering feel in the c4. IMHO, awd is for jeeps and suvs. Sports cars do best with rwd.
Different schools of thought...
Old 11-03-2012, 03:42 AM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the kind words guys - well, did prep work today in the garage for the installation of the
HyLoft folding tire loft HyLoft folding tire loft
tomorrow.

I originally thought of putting it up on the wall in front of the Porsche parking sign (my side of our humble garage ) but! -

what if the tire loft falls out of the studs somehow (it's rated to 300 lbs, but it could happen right?) and then the tires fall on the frunk of the 911? That would be such a bummer. Can I rest at night wondering if the tires are secure above my car? lol! Decided to mount it on the wall in the back room of the garage (where I keep some exercise equipment, lawn mower, some other odds and ends) and just roll the tires back and forth twice a year into the front of the garage. I was a bit worried our big wide Porsche tires might not fit, but it came out fine as long as I install the main sides at 48 inches apart.

Since this is the last few days on the regular summer tires, am taking extended drives at night when possible and it has been very wet/raining up here near the Canadian border. The summer oem P-zero tires are doing very well in the wet, but I can't wait to see how the Michelin Alpin 4's do with the same conditions next week. The floor jack should be here tomorrow and I have to figure out which way the tread is supposed to go - I mean, it is angled and obviously points one direction on each tire. So which is left and right? doh! I'll have to call the dealership and if I can't get my service advisor on the phone then I'll wait 'till Monday to switch things around

Last edited by Nicoli35; 11-03-2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:11 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Thumbs up Michelin Pilot Alpin 4's installed

Got the wheels and tires on for winter! Was waiting for Griot's wheel lug adapter set and it came today. It's really a nice little set, plastic covers over the lug adapters so as not to damage the wheels, and its own case.

The Michelin Alpin 4's have an indicator on the sidewall to show which way the tire tread should face. The "V" points to the front in the treads..simple enough but I never changed performance winter tires like this before.

The tool kit under the front bonnet or (or frunk) has the locking lug bolt adapter as well.

Should have heavy rains very soon, looking forward to testing the tires in the rain at least. Also according to the manual, torque is now 118 ft/lb for the wheels, different than what I've heard for previous models.
Attached Images     

Last edited by Nicoli35; 11-16-2012 at 08:20 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 07:59 PM
Rapture1
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I like your choice of winter wheels, what brand/model are they? I need to investigate for next year.

Also, you need to go down to the hardware store and buy a piece of copper pipe insulation and put it on that jack handle. Tha't scaring me.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:16 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Hi, I put aftermarket Vossen CV3 wheels on for summer, and kept the original wheels to CPO the car someday. The winter tires are mounted on the factory Porsche Carrera Classic 20's that came with the car. Good call on the insulation, hehe. Just went for a test drive and everything is feeling great with the wheels.

The TPM chimed after a bit and asked if I changed the wheels. Really - something like "did you change wheels? Please reset TPM" popped up in the dash display. lol. I went into the TPM and set it to "20" winter tires" and it just auto-calibrated everything. Well done Porsche.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:31 PM
Rapture1
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks, looking back at the Pic's now it should have been obvious to me about the winter tires being on the factory wheels, Doh!

Looks like you have the torque wrench I have been looking at to replace my 30 year old Craftsman.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rapture1
Looks like you have the torque wrench I have been looking at to replace my 30 year old Craftsman.
You know - this is the first time I've used the torque wrench, and it was a little more than I'd counted on spending for one..but it really worked. I pushed memory, set the 118 ft/lb, pushed memory again and torqued the lug bolts. It's green until almost there then yellow, then red and *beeep*, and it displays the maximum torque last applied in the window.

Nifty wrench for sure. It's heavy and seems well made. I got it from Amazon.com, arrived well-enough protectively packaged, no complaints so far. It will need 3 AA batteries.
http://www.amazon.com/Brown-BLD0212-Digital-Torque-Wrench/dp/B0032A60W2 http://www.amazon.com/Brown-BLD0212-Digital-Torque-Wrench/dp/B0032A60W2
Old 11-17-2012, 01:32 PM
chuck911
Race Car

Received 56 Likes on 38 Posts

What? No Griot's torque wrench???! LOL! I got mine years ago and yes it was spendy but worth every penny. And no need to buy batteries! LOL!
Love that wheel lug set. I just have the one size, and the socket isn't covered on the outside like yours, which are totally sweet!
Old 11-17-2012, 09:32 PM
Nicoli35
Burning Brakes

hehe, I didn't know Griot's had a torque wrench! The lug wrench set is really nice, I am starting to tell friends, lets take your wheels off! lol :-)

P.S. just got the GoPro car mount, here is a first time test. Hopefully I can get some winter tire snow action going sometime soon. http://youtu.be/kbdAnFD5L6I

Quick Reply: went for a C2S instead of C4S order