Sponsored by:

991 cab vs boxster s in a straight line

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 10:05 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 128 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I have to concede my proclivity for hyperbole gets the better of me from time to time when I'm trying to be succinct on Rennlist (no kidding! I'm seriously trying! : )

Keep in mind, I have a 991 S and I'm a defender of the car against criticisms (that don't include the steering) but I still want Porsche to come back to the 4.0 RS and say "let's see what we can do to make this lighter and sharper..."

I've driven the 991S about 4000 miles, in all conditions other than snow and the 997C4S in equivalent circumstances, tracks, roads, tires, setup. It's superior to the 997S in some ways, inferior in vital factors, too. The 991 might be a "win" compared to a 12C or an Aventador, I think that's just dreary prosaic nonsense from an advertising magazine and my allegiance to the 911 doesn't push me that far. I'd say the 4.0RS and even the 3.8RS are more appealing to me and arguably "better" than the current crop of technological wonders like the 12C and the 458. I can't justify the risk of a $200K 4.0 on the track and I haven't found anything to convince me to sell the 3.8 RS.

The Aventador has to be seen to be believed -- I've been at Thunderhill for a private day when a then "first kid on the block" Aventador was being driven quite quickly -- it's a car you don't want to pass, you just want to take in the sights and sounds of it. It's back to the good old, bad and mad old days of Lambo. Wild, ostentatious appearance, a robotic shift that's so brutal, it's absurd. It all makes sense to me! The 12C is too sterile and clinical. Let's see how its track-oriented variant comes along. The 458 is a depreciation cliff-dive and I'm not so taken with the design -- I'm stuck on the 430 Scuderia, though it's no match for the new machine. I don't see the 991 GT3 winning me over. Maybe. I'm more likely in the 991 C4S Targa with a power kit, then waiting for the 991 RS. If that's a let-down, I think it's time to hang up on Porsche and drive a 997 RS to my grave. And a 993 GT2. Maybe an '89 Turbo. And a 73 RS clone with a nice 2.7 MFI and period correct handling (with better brakes...) And ...
No reason to excuse yourself for your prolific prose....I enjoy your posts......despite (and sometimes because of) the occasional hyperbole. I too might write off MT's article as a typical advertising fluff piece, but I watched the in-car video of Randy Pobst, a very accomplished driver, and the 991; that was a man who was genuinely impressed, and not one who was faking his obvious delight in driving the car.

Like you, I hope the GT variants offer even sharper variations on the 991 theme. But I think the new car is going to be a fine platform for doing that, and those who think otherwise are, IMO, missing the mark.

Last edited by Mike in CA; 08-31-2012 at 10:26 PM.

Quick Reply: 991 cab vs boxster s in a straight line