Sponsored by:

Viper owner making the switch to 991

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 11:07 AM
SUSportsfan
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Viper owner making the switch to 991

I have been driving a gen 2 1999 Viper for 12 years. It is a beast, a monster that I have tracked several times and I will always love the time we had together. I have always respected and admired Porsche from a far but the 991 has me hooked. I was driving by the local Porshe dealer and an Agate Gray 991 with carrera classic wheels was sitting outside and I fell in love. I went in yesterday struck a deal and now I am nervous. It is an early build (12/11) with only 14 miles on it. The dealer said he has to complete 4 campaigns and that I can probably pick it up next week. The campaigns are:
1. check/rework fuel line
2. check refrigerant intake pipe/replace if necessary
3. rework PDK unit
4. rework body seal

I could really use the help in answering a couple of questions:

1. Are they any early build owners out there that have not had any problems?

2. Are there any of these campaigns that I should be particularly concerned about?

3. As a first time Porsche owner, should I not buy this car because it is an early build?

My expectation as a well respected car manufacturer, is that Porsche will make good on all of these issues and that I will truly love this car. However when you read some of the posts on this forum, my expectations begin to waiver.

Please comment on my first post ever on a forum, thanks.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:42 PM
chance
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 31 Posts

welcome!

1. no problems (5k)

2. drove 2k before i had any of these 4 recalls done without any issues. (body seal is the only one i have left to do)

3. have bought early build/first gen boxster, cayman, cayenne, 997 and now 991 never had a single issue with any of the cars. I would not hesitate to buy an early build porsche.

I do think having a good relationship with a pcar dealership you trust close by makes being an early adopter a much easier proposition...hopefully thats the case for you.

good luck with your decision.
Old 08-15-2012, 12:43 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

car has been sitting on the lot 8 months ..

unless it was incredible deal, order one to your exact specification
Old 08-15-2012, 12:59 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Body seal one is the only one I would be concerned about. I do not have first hand knowledge about what needs to be done, but I have read some comments on another forum that indicate that the work needs to be done by a body shop and that body panels need to be removed. I don't think I would like that on my new 100K+ car.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:06 PM
chance
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
Body seal one is the only one I would be concerned about. I do not have first hand knowledge about what needs to be done, but I have read some comments on another forum that indicate that the work needs to be done by a body shop and that body panels need to be removed. I don't think I would like that on my new 100K+ car.
yeah the body seal one does suck. Replacing little rubber grommets that may or may not leak potentially damaging electronics with new ones. done at the dealer an all day + job. I am waiting to do it with the next oil change.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:31 PM
SUSportsfan
3rd Gear

I just called my dealer and he equated the body seal job to a windshield replacement. Parts have to be removed to do the job right. He is confident that the job will be done right with no problems for years to come.
Old 08-15-2012, 03:37 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by SUSportsfan
I just called my dealer and he equated the body seal job to a windshield replacement. Parts have to be removed to do the job right. He is confident that the job will be done right with no problems for years to come.
Did you expect him to say anything different? He is in sales and trying to sell you something. The repair can probably be done properly, but are you sure you want to buy a car that has been sitting on the lot for this long, and has to have the repair made? If it has been sitting outside, better check the paint for acid rain damage.

Another consideration is the car is a 2012, which is one model year old now that the 2013's are out. Make sure your price takes the year old car into consideration.

Last edited by GSIRM3; 08-15-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-15-2012, 04:33 PM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

does make you wonder why this car has been sat unsold for such a long time
Old 08-15-2012, 04:52 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not wait 4 months and order the exact car you want 2013 MY, if you've had your current car 12 yrs, 4 months is not much.

But no harm in getting this one if your heart is on it. Porsches are reliable and these campaigns are not really a big deal. You should negotiate a good discount over msrp.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:10 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

I have an early car (1/12) and have had 0 problems. All campaigns done except the seals. Likely next week.

It is a car, not a marble sculpture. They are built up and can be taken apart and put together again. It is the first year of a new model, and there a lot of electronics but gremlins are possible at any time in modern cars. There have been very few reports of real problems even here where Porsche's most vocal critics congregate, (except from people who don't actually own one, or who have purchased one that is not quite what they wanted).

Given how long the car has been there you should have been able to make an exceptional deal. It is practically an anti-Viper in terms of practicality, fit and finish. Not as visceral, but as always can punch far above its weight.
Old 08-15-2012, 10:39 PM
SUSportsfan
3rd Gear

I like the car, it has all the options I would have picked, I got close to 10% off and I will expect (hope) that Porche will stand by its car. I am looking forward to the change and a few track events in my future. The viper may be more visceral, but the technology, safety quickness and finish of the 991 S will out weigh everything else. Let's all stay positive, because if I have problems with this car, the wife is going to kick my a_ _!
Old 08-16-2012, 12:44 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Porsche is no Viper. Once you go Porsche,you will never go back!
Good luck and enjoy!
Old 08-16-2012, 08:46 AM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 251 Likes on 154 Posts

I have over 5000 miles in 2 months in my 2012 991s w/7 mt with no problems at all. I use it as my DD and it just gets more fun to drive each time I get behind the wheel. I once owned a 1997 Viper GTS and while it was faster in a straight line, it pales in comparison to a 991s as far as handling and build quality are concerned.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:57 AM
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Apologies for quickly hijacking this thread: Is the body seal issue affecting only MY12 or also MY 13 cars (i.e. built from june 2012 on)? Just got my MY13 C2 and am wondering whether I should contact the dealer to do this...

Thanks!

And now to your question, Sportsfan: I have been waiting for my C2 for 4 months. It is painful indeed, but it is my own baby. I decided what goes in the car and how it should look, etc. So if the car at the dealer is really 100% your build, take it (I trust that dealerships will able to manage all the recalls). If you think you would go for a little different built (e.g. consider all the cool Exclusive optione, like deviated switching, out there now) build and order your own car! And during the wait ask your dealer for some test drives

Best!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:13 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by SUSportsfan
I like the car, it has all the options I would have picked, I got close to 10% off and I will expect (hope) that Porche will stand by its car. I am looking forward to the change and a few track events in my future. The viper may be more visceral, but the technology, safety quickness and finish of the 991 S will out weigh everything else. Let's all stay positive, because if I have problems with this car, the wife is going to kick my a_ _!
Keep reminding her that it is really a practical, economical dual purpose thing. (like Dr Jeykil and Mr Hyde).

Quick Reply: Viper owner making the switch to 991