Sponsored by:

Scratches on the PCM-display

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 06:34 AM
wim.lon
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scratches on the PCM-display

Does anyone know how to remove scratches on the PCM-screen of the 991?
Old 05-18-2019, 03:17 PM
kjohaima
4th Gear

Hey! Any luck finding a solution to your PCM scratch?
Old 05-23-2019, 05:46 AM
2015gts
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the screen is very soft, there's really not any way to remove a scratch without destroying it, you'll need to replace it
Old 05-23-2019, 10:38 AM
kjohaima
4th Gear

Thanks for the reply.

Any ideas where I can find instructions on how to replace?
Old 05-23-2019, 01:05 PM
Homeles
Three Wheelin'

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Use a nail file on it? Didn’t know that was possible.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:25 PM
Dr. Ice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Google the Novus scratch remover lineup. I believe it comes in 3 levels of aggressiveness and is designed to take scratches out of plastic face masks and motorcycle windshields. I would buy fine and medium and start with the fine. It works well on my Harley Davidson windshield and will not damage your car plastic. If you need to go to medium or level 2, finish with the fine or level 1.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:29 PM
jfischet
Three Wheelin'

Received 621 Likes on 365 Posts

i wonder if a tablet screen protector cut to size would do the trick?
Old 05-23-2019, 03:10 PM
BCA01
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 49 Posts

I've used Plexus to remove minor imperfections from the clear plastics on gauges (like over your tachometer, speedometer, etc.) with success. An old product that I used to have 10+ years ago called Malm's polish & glaze also did it when used on a quality microfiber. The key, I think, for the soft clear plastics is to have something that has a mild solvent aspect to it and VERY mild, if any, abrasives.

It sounds like the OP is talking about the actual PCM display in the center console. That's a tougher one....never tried to get a scratch out of an LCD screen like that....but Googling LCD scratch repair is where I would start. I would bet that there's a product out there that would make it better if not fix completely. But I'd be very cautious on a screen like that because it would be very easy to make the problem worse.
Old 05-23-2019, 03:15 PM
SLC Tortfeasor
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 8 Posts

It's also possible/likely that having interior paint protection film installed over your scratched display will make the scratch disappear.

I just had this done to my interior, and it made small scratches on other parts of my trim disappear. I didn't have any scratches on my screen, but assume it would do the same for the screen.

Unfortunately, I think there are not a lot of places that install interior paint protection film, but here are the guys who helped me and I'm sure they could answer your question in a quick phone call. They do this stuff all day every day so they would be very knowledgeable. https://www.facebook.com/ilovepremierprotection/
Old 05-23-2019, 04:07 PM
Sidvicious7
Burning Brakes

Received 135 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by wim.lon
Does anyone know how to remove scratches on the PCM-screen of the 991?
Scratches come in many levels. It’s hard to determine the scratch level on your PCM display based on words alone. Depth and width of the scratch/s on you screen play a vital role in determining the amount of work required to buff it out, if possible. Do you happen to have images you can share with the group? Keep in mind our PCM display has a matt finish and buffing one specific area will change the sheen from Matt to glossy at different angles. If buffing out the scratch is not viable there is another solution vs replacing the PCM which is extremely costly. Our PCM units are assembled in three pieces; CD-Player, Communication Section and finally the Display and Button section (Display/Screen). You can location a donor unit of eBay for under $500 and swap out the donor screen on your PCM. In my opinion this fix to get it perfectly right is not cheap. Bottom line is based whether you can live with the scratch/s, attempt to polish out the scratch or replace the display section.....

Quick Reply: Scratches on the PCM-display