Sponsored by:

On the Wisdom of Owning a Modern Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 07:05 PM
stubenhocker
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
Interest rates are zero. Use a 60 month lease product, ample mileage allowance. Forgetaboutit.
Personally I would never 'lease" a car for a period longer than the warranty.
I don't want to spend capital on other peoples car.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To each his own. Some like to preserve their cars. Mine is a DD, but my "commute" is 8 miles round trip. I do not drive it in the snow, not because it drives bad, but because I almost got killed by an SUV driving blonde on a cell phone one winter. I enjoy every minute in that car. In fact, I would love to do a cross-country trip in it. There are some great posts of guys that have done that. Most cars will face the same issues as they age, so you either get a new one or pay for the upkeep.

The one issue I have is that I don't track and never get the full value of the car. It's frustrating tottering around at 45 or 55 in these types of cars. Nice thread. Cheers.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:25 PM
Jason Sewell
7th Gear

As the OP, these opinions are more or less what I expected to hear. I just wish I could get a better feel for long-term repair costs, although I suspect the variability is too great for an average to be meaningful. I'll just put a couple hundred bucks a month in the Porsche repair fund and keep my fingers crossed.

And when all is said and done, I imagine few men lay on their death beds smiling happy thoughts about the Porsche they decided not to buy. Wish me luck.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:46 AM
MAHack
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 13 Posts

Having driven a 997S as a daily since it's launch, I can say that I've not had one maintenance issue. Nothing has broken...no warning lights...nothing. The biggest expense besides depreciation when using a modern 911 as a DD is.......TIRES.

If you drive 10 or 12K miles a year, expect this not insignificant cost. The rears only last about 8K and the fronts will last through two sets of rears.

Good Luck.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:24 AM
skinzy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Jason Sewell
As the OP, these opinions are more or less what I expected to hear. I just wish I could get a better feel for long-term repair costs, although I suspect the variability is too great for an average to be meaningful. I'll just put a couple hundred bucks a month in the Porsche repair fund and keep my fingers crossed.

And when all is said and done, I imagine few men lay on their death beds smiling happy thoughts about the Porsche they decided not to buy. Wish me luck.
Thats it I think!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:28 AM
rpilot
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am in the same boat as Jason (OP) and here are my humble thoughts on the matter.... There is NO real wisdom in having a porsche, atleast not in the conventional sense. One buys a porsche, 991 or otherwise as an indulgence. Once you understand and acknowledge that it is an indulgence and you know yourself to be a prudent person fiscally but not one of unlimited means (as evidenced by your desire to purchase a 991 outright for cash, but still worried about the cost of upkeep), here are my conclusions...

1) Figure out your insurance costs and make sure you are comfortable with them.

2) Scheduled Maintenance only while under warranty + Tires + Brakes and wiper blades should average $100 / month... (first year will be less but this is a good average number for a DD).. If you intend to track it, add a lot more for brakes & tires and maybe even suspension components that the warranty MAY not cover. i cannot give you estimates for this.

3) Spend a little less on options than your budget or expand your budget a bit to put aside $20,000 - $25,000 into a repair fund right at the outset of your purchase.. Add another $200 per month into the repair/maintenance fund as you are thinking of doing.

4) After the warranty expires your repair fund may have balloned a little with the interest earned and the $100 or so a month extra that was put in and not used for maintenance thus far.

5) Right before the warranty expires, see if you can get your dealer to CPO the car for another 2 years using some of the repair funds if you are so inclined, or just take a chance since your are comfortable with your repair fund.

6) Drive your car worry free for many years, putting in the $200 every month. Even if you have a major powertrain repair, you are still covered by your fund.

7) If you come to a point in your life where you a) cannot put in another $200 a month into that fund, b) cannot afford insurance or c) have depelted the repair fund and have no inclination to replenish it... sell the car, buy a brand new honda accord with an 8 year extended warranty and fuggitadboudit... You will have live the porsche dream for a while and you will have fond memories and you can go back to being fiscally prudent and proud of it with no regrets.

To those who think leasing is a good idea... if it works for you great; but I really dont see someone like myself, pay $50,000 + dollars over 3.5 - 4 years for a $100K car in payments and have nothing to show for it, plus all the hassles of buying new tires, fixing paint flaws, etc etc etc at lease turn in. I will never be able to enjoy this car if leased, and I think that the OP may agree with me on this.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:48 PM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 10,783 Likes on 4,775 Posts

Originally Posted by rpilot
I am in the same boat as Jason (OP) and here are my humble thoughts on the matter.... There is NO real wisdom in having a porsche, atleast not in the conventional sense. One buys a porsche, 991 or otherwise as an indulgence. Once you understand and acknowledge that it is an indulgence and you know yourself to be a prudent person fiscally but not one of unlimited means (as evidenced by your desire to purchase a 991 outright for cash, but still worried about the cost of upkeep), here are my conclusions...

3) Spend a little less on options than your budget or expand your budget a bit to put aside $20,000 - $25,000 into a repair fund right at the outset of your purchase.. Add another $200 per month into the repair/maintenance fund as you are thinking of doing.

I'm sorry, but I just cannot agree with that.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:21 PM
fanny bay r1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by rpilot

1) Figure out your insurance costs and make sure you are comfortable with them.

2) Scheduled Maintenance only while under warranty + Tires + Brakes and wiper blades should average $100 / month... (first year will be less but this is a good average number for a DD).. If you intend to track it, add a lot more for brakes & tires and maybe even suspension components that the warranty MAY not cover. i cannot give you estimates for this.

4) After the warranty expires your repair fund may have balloned a little with the interest earned and the $100 or so a month extra that was put in and not used for maintenance thus far.

5) Right before the warranty expires, see if you can get your dealer to CPO the car for another 2 years using some of the repair funds if you are so inclined, or just take a chance since your are comfortable with your repair fund.

6) Drive your car worry free for many years, putting in the $200 every month. Even if you have a major powertrain repair, you are still covered by your fund.

7) If you come to a point in your life where you a) cannot put in another $200 a month into that fund, b) cannot afford insurance or c) have depelted the repair fund and have no inclination to replenish it... sell the car, buy a brand new honda accord with an 8 year extended warranty and fuggitadboudit... You will have live the porsche dream for a while and you will have fond memories and you can go back to being fiscally prudent and proud of it with no regrets.

To those who think leasing is a good idea... if it works for you great; but I really dont see someone like myself, pay $50,000 + dollars over 3.5 - 4 years for a $100K car in payments and have nothing to show for it, plus all the hassles of buying new tires, fixing paint flaws, etc etc etc at lease turn in. I will never be able to enjoy this car if leased, and I think that the OP may agree with me on this.

Put away $25K at the outset and a further $2400 a year on top of that - are you insane man!!!
Old 08-14-2012, 02:01 PM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would disagree with the "classic long term looks" comment in reference to the 991. Its a new body style. There is not much classic and certainly not much "long term" about the design of vehicle. It's a NEW 911 as they call it. Time will tell if its looks and alterations are classic. I didn't bet on it...and stayed with the 997 style. I'd like to see a revive of the 930...now that's a classic look.
Old 08-14-2012, 03:51 PM
Jason Sewell
7th Gear

Rpilot, you've articulated exactly what I've been thinking. Great advice. Thank you.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:29 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by LewisB
I'd like to see a revive of the 930...now that's a classic look.
+1

These cars are fast . Those are the Classics.
Old 08-14-2012, 04:57 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Never ever liked the complexity of the toureg/Cayenne. How stupid. I guess they realised their mistake w/ the new model . TO your point -ALL cars are becoming rolling computers and are inherently complex.

what about, waiting for a 1yr old car w/ a CPO? Thats what i did w/ my 997.2. I got 3yrs of wrrty + 2yrs CPO for a total of 5yrs/100k miles. I DIY all the minor stuff like Filter and Oil CHanges so the costs have been manageable.

BTW, i dont think 991 sales are that good. Perhaps depreciation can be your friend.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:02 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LewisB
I would disagree with the "classic long term looks" comment in reference to the 991. Its a new body style. There is not much classic and certainly not much "long term" about the design of vehicle. It's a NEW 911 as they call it. Time will tell if its looks and alterations are classic. I didn't bet on it...and stayed with the 997 style. I'd like to see a revive of the 930...now that's a classic look.
I think this is the best looking water cooled 911 yet. The only one I've wanted to own. The technology involved in most new cars make the decision to drive daily, and "keep forever," financially challenging.

Buy it, drive it, sell it when it's time.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:07 PM
skinzy
Instructor

Originally Posted by fbfisher
I think this is the best looking water cooled 911 yet. The only one I've wanted to own. The technology involved in most new cars make the decision to drive daily, and "keep forever," financially challenging.

Buy it, drive it, sell it when it's time.
+ 1 The 911 from 1 to 7th iteration is a "classic" look period. The tweaks over the years serve to refine. IMO the 991 is the best looking tweak yet from a long classic looking line!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:11 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
+1

These cars are fast . Those are the Classics.
Totally agree.

Quick Reply: On the Wisdom of Owning a Modern Porsche