Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's in my driveway!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 09:49 AM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

cmb13, Because the car is a daily driver, I wanted a nice interior and some practical options. I had a budget, stuck to it, and forewent options like sport exhaust, sport chrono and PDCC which I'm sure make a great car even better but which I didn't feel I needed. I was right. If you start with the premise that a base 991 with no options is one of the best cars in the world regardless of price, then whichever options you choose will simply enhance your personal experience. As for the standard radio, I think it sounds about perfect. On my trip back from New York, I cruised along the highway in 7th gear at 75 with the top down listening to everything from Jack Johnson to Karmin to Springsteen to the 4 Tops. It all sounded excellent. I'm sure if I compare the base system to the Burmester it will get blown away, but in this case ignorance is bliss. I can compare it to the 997.2 base system, though, and I think it's crisper and has much cleaner bass.

keithos27, When I found out the white color had changed and read some negative comments about it, I went to a dealer and held a sample of "white" next to a Carrara white car. There was definitely a difference. The "white" was whiter. Now that I have a "white" car, all I can tell you is that sitting there by itself, I couldn't care less if it's "white" or "Carrara white". It just looks great, and I'm totally satisfied with it.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:05 AM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tgcrun
cmb13, Because the car is a daily driver, I wanted a nice interior and some practical options. I had a budget, stuck to it, and forewent options like sport exhaust, sport chrono and PDCC which I'm sure make a great car even better but which I didn't feel I needed. I was right. If you start with the premise that a base 991 with no options is one of the best cars in the world regardless of price, then whichever options you choose will simply enhance your personal experience. As for the standard radio, I think it sounds about perfect. On my trip back from New York, I cruised along the highway in 7th gear at 75 with the top down listening to everything from Jack Johnson to Karmin to Springsteen to the 4 Tops. It all sounded excellent. I'm sure if I compare the base system to the Burmester it will get blown away, but in this case ignorance is bliss. I can compare it to the 997.2 base system, though, and I think it's crisper and has much cleaner bass.

keithos27, When I found out the white color had changed and read some negative comments about it, I went to a dealer and held a sample of "white" next to a Carrara white car. There was definitely a difference. The "white" was whiter. Now that I have a "white" car, all I can tell you is that sitting there by itself, I couldn't care less if it's "white" or "Carrara white". It just looks great, and I'm totally satisfied with it.
I was very surprised by the base radio. I had a sound package plus system on my old 09 Cayman - Bad! I had the Bose on my 2011 997.2 - good. Now I have the base radio on the 991 - good. I am not sure about the new Bose radio on the 991 but I can tell you that the base radio is almost on par with the Bose on my 997.2. I think the 9 speakers that come with the base radio is more than enough for such a small cabin. I set Treble on +3 and bass on +2 and I am good to go.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:14 AM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Curious if the base radio has that dashboard integrated subwoofer? I'm guessing that's the key difference, this sub and it's amp, about 200W with the Bose and double that with Burmester. How does the very low end sound?
Old 07-26-2012, 10:46 AM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

I set the bass on the base at +2, and it sounds pretty darn good to me. I don't have the specs on the base system in front of me, but it does sound like there's a sub in the dash.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:56 AM
keithos27
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

That's all I needed to hear. Thank you.
Old 07-26-2012, 11:31 AM
HotLap
Racer

It's a beauty, enjoy and is that a stick I see in there (jealous)
Old 07-26-2012, 12:00 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Don't be jealous, you live in Ventura County. You'll be cruisin' top down in December while I'm freezin' my a## off. Isn't white a great color? This is my first white car since my 1978 Alfa Spider, which was also white/black/black. It was my first convertible, bought new a couple years out of college. It was also the car I was driving when I picked my wife up for our first date.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:49 PM
HotLap
Racer

Don't be jealous, you live in Ventura County. You'll be cruisin' top down in December while I'm freezin' my a## off. Isn't white a great color? This is my first white car since my 1978 Alfa Spider, which was also white/black/black. It was my first convertible, bought new a couple years out of college. It was also the car I was driving when I picked my wife up for our first date.
LOL, that's for sure Fall, Winter & Spring are the best vert weather here! Summer can be a bit hot to be sitting at a light with the top down! I do like the white color, although it shows more dirt than I would have thought especially the rear bumper area with the exhaust splatter and dust and the rocker panle areas up through the rear qtr. panel area. Guess with the wide tires lots of road dust!! Enjoy your new ride - bet you are chomping at the bit to drive it RIGHT NOW!!
Old 07-26-2012, 03:47 PM
typecase
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful car! Thanks for the pics. Enjoy it in good health.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:36 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I've test driven 2 cars with the Bose and was not impressed. I thing I'd go with the base also, and upgrade aftermarket if I felt I needed to.

Glad you're happy with the car. I think I'd build similarly. I actually liked the richness of the Carrera white and wish they still offered it. I might go with silver or blue instead.

I can't wait until my current lease is up (8 months).
Old 07-26-2012, 11:00 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats! Looks great! Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:47 PM
spourreza
Pro

Originally Posted by cmb13
I've test driven 2 cars with the Bose and was not impressed. I thing I'd go with the base also, and upgrade aftermarket if I felt I needed to.

Glad you're happy with the car. I think I'd build similarly. I actually liked the richness of the Carrera white and wish they still offered it. I might go with silver or blue instead.

I can't wait until my current lease is up (8 months).

Porsche may pay some of your lease payments...
Old 07-27-2012, 07:41 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

Now this is a great way to look at ordering/buying a Porsche! The difference in performance between a fully loaded out "performance version" car and one with a few choice options is very minimal to be sure, so why not just worry about the personal essentials and what will make you happy on a daily basis.

Well done, great looking example, enjoy....
Old 07-27-2012, 08:03 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Thanks. I think I did all right. I've had the car for 4 days now, and I couldn't be happier. The only change I might have made is adding ventilated seats. It's been in the high 80s/low 90s, and they would have come in handy.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:06 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 748 Likes on 545 Posts

White is a great cab color....very summery..........good luck with it!!

Quick Reply: It's in my driveway!