Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

White 991S Coupe... Which Wheels To Get?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012 | 04:39 PM
keithos27
Racer

Default White 991S Coupe... Which Wheels To Get?

Hi everyone! I'm seriously considering buying a 2013 991S in White (not Carrara White I guess given that it's MY 2013), fully optioned... I'm thinking full black leather interior with Guards Red deviated stitching, as well as the ceramic brakes.

I've narrowed down pretty much everything except the wheels!

They all look great (except the Tequipments to me, which I'm not a huge fan unless they are "half-painted" in black) so I'm having a hard time deciding.

Originally I was all about the Carrera Classics from pics I had seen in different magazines, youtube videos, etc. After seeing them in some online photos, however, I sometimes doubt them thinking they make the wheels look too large in proportion to the rest of the car. Since I can't order it painted in Platinum I guess that eliminates that option.

Next option is the Carrera S wheel painted Platinum (semi-gloss). I think this gives a nice contrast to the White exterior, without hiding all the detail a black-painted wheel has (IMO). Not sure I like this when it's not painted Platinum, though.

And finally there's the SportDesign wheel, which I've recently seen in some youtube videos of a white 991S with the ceramics... looks hot! Since I can't order it painted in Platinum I guess that eliminates that option.

I've been going back and forth on these for a long time now... So I'm looking for some input/help from you guys!

I am 99% set on the interior... really love the Black with the Guards Red stitching. I've owned black and silver cars in the past so I'm thinking of going with White to try something new/different this go around. Plus I like how the White contrasts with the parts of the exterior that are black standard.

I'm also considering tinting the windows to a legal tint percentage but am unsure on that.

Can you guys please help by posting any pics of White/Carrara White 991s you may have access to? Preferably white ceramics if you have them... Any/all help would be greatly appreciated!

Also, is there any "difference" in any of those three wheel options other than price? Like performance, durability, etc.?

Thanks,
Keith
Old 07-25-2012 | 04:51 PM
peterm
Racer

painted carrera s wheels look great but.....you can see the inside of the rim and cleaning that is a huge PIA I was hoping the reduced brake dust would have made my job easier but now cleaning the inside adds a whole new dimension of PIA
Old 07-25-2012 | 04:53 PM
keithos27
Racer

Good to know, thanks peterm! Wouldn't the ceramics help in that regard (not much brake dust)?

Any pics to share?
Old 07-25-2012 | 06:25 PM
Roman Dudinov
Advanced

Originally Posted by keithos27
Also, is there any "difference" in any of those three wheel options other than price? Like performance, durability, etc.?

Thanks,
Keith
Yes, those "tequipments" as you have called them or more commonly SportTechno are half an inch wider (so you can't order it with spacers) on each axle and a bit lighter than all other 20" wheels 991 wheels due to different technology of production.

I have seen white 991 C2S, looks very nice and no sign of far too large wheel. Would be my preference. Are you going to spec S-PASM?
Old 07-25-2012 | 06:53 PM
SSST
Drifting

Personally I really like the 991 SportTechnos. They really did a nice job modernizing them while keeping the distinctive look. It's one of the few things I think they actually improved on the asthetics.
Old 07-25-2012 | 07:19 PM
Galion
Pro

Imo pictures dont do any justice to the Carrera Classics wheels, the look fantastic in the flesh.
Old 07-25-2012 | 07:27 PM
ScorpionT
Instructor

I like the Carrera S wheels, but personally, I would get an aftermarket set. This way you could get something you love, rather than having something you arent so sure about.
Old 07-25-2012 | 08:02 PM
keithos27
Racer

Well I really like all of them so I know I won't be unhappy once I make the most informed decision

@Roman, yes I am going for SPASM And yes, the SportTechnos are 305 in the rear (compared to 295), thanks for pointing out!

Can anyone help show me some White 991s with the options I'm playing around with? The configurator is a joke (from a looks perspective).
Old 07-25-2012 | 08:06 PM
keithos27
Racer

Originally Posted by Galion
Imo pictures dont do any justice to the Carrera Classics wheels, the look fantastic in the flesh.
I've seen them in the flesh and on some colors/settings I think they look amazing. At other times, I think they look "too big" on the car (almost like the tops of garbage cans, lol).... but I think it's an angle thing?

I was hoping someone may have some pics to share with them on a White 991 (and preferably with yellow ceramics)?
Old 07-25-2012 | 08:13 PM
Galion
Pro

Originally Posted by keithos27
I've seen them in the flesh and on some colors/settings I think they look amazing. At other times, I think they look "too big" on the car (almost like the tops of garbage cans, lol).... but I think it's an angle thing?

I was hoping someone may have some pics to share with them on a White 991 (and preferably with yellow ceramics)?
Check this out:

http://www.autogespot.nl/porsche/991...to&color=white
Old 07-25-2012 | 08:15 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

The Carrera Classic wheels are available in a very dark version-
i don't know what it is called, but its halfway between black and platinum with an anodized look. They really set off a car and don't look oversized at all.
Old 07-25-2012 | 08:17 PM
keithos27
Racer

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
The Carrera Classic wheels are available in a very dark version-
i don't know what it is called, but its halfway between black and platinum with an anodized look. They really set off a car and don't look oversized at all.
Where did you see that? When I go on the configurator it doesn't let me select anything.

I currently have a BMW e39 M5 and their wheels are what were called (back in 2001) "shadow chrome" which is kind of what I think is maybe what you're describing? Almost like a "dirty" chrome wheel, as silly as that sounds, lol...?
Old 07-25-2012 | 08:18 PM
keithos27
Racer

Originally Posted by Galion
I'm looking now, thank you!!!
Old 07-25-2012 | 08:21 PM
keithos27
Racer

Here are the SportTechnos with ceramics....

Last edited by keithos27; 07-25-2012 at 09:05 PM.
Old 07-25-2012 | 08:23 PM
keithos27
Racer

And here are the same wheels painted black... This could go nice on a White 991, no?

I had seen the same wheel not painted black by Porsche, but by a local Atlanta guy... basically you order them silver and then he paints the spokes "half" black like in this picture, but I think the center was still silver?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: White 991S Coupe... Which Wheels To Get?