Some questions about the 911/991

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 11:13 AM
911razr
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Some questions about the 911/991

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Porsche, and its going to be my first time buying a Porsche.
I'm a Audi customer, I have Audi RS4 2007 and a Q7 3.6 FSI 2009(US Version).

This week I am ordering a new 991 Carrera, from USA, but I live in Berlin/Germany, so i will ship it from USA to here. I wanted to ask few questions about 991. And I am not a millionaire spending too much money in cars :-). I saved money for a long time to get a 991, so I want to know if I really need some options that I will add to my 991.

1. What really Wheel Spacers 5mm do?
2. Is there a big difference between normal PASM and PASM SPORT? I'm not a high speed addicted driver and I will not use 991 for racing or stuff like this. I'm going to use the 991 for my daily routine(home, work, gym, etc). So do I really need to add any of PASM? Does PASM make the car more comfortable, like Audi's Adaptive Air Suspension?
3. What exactly is Porsche Torque Vectoring (PTV) and PTV Plus.

I would really appriciate every reply. Thanks
911razr

=====================================
Ordering 2012 911/991 Carrera Aqua Blue/ Beige interior
2009 AUDI Q7 3.6 FSI Ibis White ext./Beige int.
2007 AUDI RS4 4.2 FSI Sprint Blue ext./Black int. [Selling it. If anyone interested contact me.]
2011 Nissan GT-R (530HP model) Gun Pearl White ext./Gray int.
[SOLD] 2003 Ferrari 360 Modena (Automatic) Rosso Corsa ext./Cream int.
[SOLD] 1979 Ferrari 308 GTS Rosso Corsa ext./Black int.
[SOLD] 2007 Maserati Quattroporte Grigio Black ext./Avorio int.
[SOLD] 2007 Shelby GT500 Red ext./Black int.
[SOLD] 2005 Audi allroad 2.7T Black ext./Grey int.
[SOLD] 2005 Mercedes CLK320 Cabrio Black ext./Grey int.
[SOLD] 2004 Mercedes CL500 Dark Blue ext./Beige int.
[SOLD] 1998 Mercedes SLK230 Blue ext./Gray int

Last edited by 911razr; 07-20-2012 at 10:12 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 127 Likes on 67 Posts

1. Wheel spacers widen the track slightly for better handling but I doubt you would notice the difference. Most people add them for appearence sake as they help the tires "fill" the fenders a bit better.

2. PASM lowers the car 10mm from the base 991 suspension. PASM Sport lowers the car an additional 10mm for a total of 20mm from the base suspension. PASM Sport also gives a firmer ride with stiffer springs. With PASM the base setting is slightly softer than a non-PASM car, while the Sport setting is firmer. From your description of how you will use the car I'd say PASM Sport isn't necessary although the lowered car does look good. You might be very happy skipping PASM althogether. I suggest you drive cars with and without to decide.

3. PTV uses the rear brakes in a turn to slightly brake the inside rear wheel causing the car to rotate more easily. It has the effect of making the steering even more responsive in pointing the car where you want it to go. There's a good decsription and video of how it works on the U.S. Porsche website (maybe the German one as well). I have it on my Cayenne S and it works really well; makes the SUV feel like a sportscar. On a sportscar like the 991 I'm not as sure it's really necessary.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:12 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Beware of the beige interior. The beige dash has been known to cause a reflection on the windscreen that some find annoying.

Kudos on the Aqua, though. Great color.

I'm curious on how and why you order a German built car from the US. Is it a military or diplomatic sale? If not, why order from the US?
Old 07-19-2012, 05:24 PM
Roman Dudinov
Advanced

2.Look at it this way. With PASM you will have 2 settings of suspension. Normal and Sport. Without one you will have passive dumpers which will be somewhere between two modes mentioned above. I don't know how constrained you are in terms of finance but I would strongly recommend PASM, especially in case you are going to use your car as a daily driver. It will make ride more compliant in Normal and stiffen all up on demand. S-PASM reduces ground clearance by 20mm, adds larger front splitter (black plastic bit only) and increases rear spoiler deployment angle. And, of course, suspension will become substantially stiffer. Another words, you don't really need it since it compromises practicality (stiffer suspension and you will have to be careful not to lose your splitter somewhere as it going to scratch everything and everywhere) and standard car already feels sporty enough for the road.

3.PVT works with manual. PVT Plus works with DSG. Again, I would recommend it since it not only brakes inside rear wheel when you turn but it actually adds limited slip rear diff which I believe is a must in the car that powerful. As I can understand you are not exactly Walter Röhrl, and this system will make car easier to handle on the limit and you will feel that you are better driver than you actually are. Which is always nice
Old 07-19-2012, 08:11 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 314 Likes on 189 Posts

Just FYI-
My 991 with 20s and PASM Sport has greater clearance than my old Boxter S RS-60 (which was similarly lower than standard). It scrapes less. I have had just one incident with the spoiler- when I backed down a steep driveway perpendicular to the slope.

The 991 suspension is so supple (and the Pirelli's so much smoother riding than the Michelin PS2s) that the ride is not harsh at all in any mode, and is sedan like - but not so much as a non PASM Sport- 991.

I love the "track ready" feel and think anyone who intends to track their car should have it.

BUT- the 991 handling without it is superb anyway, way above what it makes sense to use on the street so it is not a "must have" IMHO. Kind of like Sport Chrono- wonderful but there is already a damn fine sport mode.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:50 PM
911razr
AutoX

Originally Posted by sapman
Beware of the beige interior. The beige dash has been known to cause a reflection on the windscreen that some find annoying.

Kudos on the Aqua, though. Great color.

I'm curious on how and why you order a German built car from the US. Is it a military or diplomatic sale? If not, why order from the US?
The one i tested was beige interior, and i tested it on a sunny day. There was no problem, plus i'm a sunglasses driver . And i can not imagine buying a new car, in other interior color. Beige is my fav.
Oh yes its a diplomatic sale, plus saves me about €22000. Its quite a lot! And the shipping from US to Germany is free.

Only thing that i have to do when i get the car is to change the US side markers, to clear ones. Like these :http://tinyurl.com/bwzu4p9

Last edited by 911razr; 07-19-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:15 PM
911razr
AutoX

Originally Posted by Roman Dudinov
2.Look at it this way. With PASM you will have 2 settings of suspension. Normal and Sport. Without one you will have passive dumpers which will be somewhere between two modes mentioned above. I don't know how constrained you are in terms of finance but I would strongly recommend PASM, especially in case you are going to use your car as a daily driver. It will make ride more compliant in Normal and stiffen all up on demand. S-PASM reduces ground clearance by 20mm, adds larger front splitter (black plastic bit only) and increases rear spoiler deployment angle. And, of course, suspension will become substantially stiffer. Another words, you don't really need it since it compromises practicality (stiffer suspension and you will have to be careful not to lose your splitter somewhere as it going to scratch everything and everywhere) and standard car already feels sporty enough for the road.

3.PVT works with manual. PVT Plus works with DSG. Again, I would recommend it since it not only brakes inside rear wheel when you turn but it actually adds limited slip rear diff which I believe is a must in the car that powerful. As I can understand you are not exactly Walter Röhrl, and this system will make car easier to handle on the limit and you will feel that you are better driver than you actually are. Which is always nice
Your explanation was one of the best! Thanks man!
It's not about money that i'm looking to save on PASM, but i was confused if i really need it, so i'm picking the Normal PASM.

I'm also car traveler.
Last year my summer trip was around 4000km with Nissan GTR 530hp model, for 20 days.
Started (Munich-Milan-Genoa-Monaco-St.Tropez-Barcelona-Saragossa-Bordeaux-Le Mans-Paris-Amsterdam-Munich).
But GTR was most uncomfy car that i was driving on a trip !

With 991 i am planning a East - Southeast Europe trip!

Quick Reply: Some questions about the 911/991