Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ordering Carrera 3.4

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

The SC feature is not a must in a manual car, but I ordered just for the dash clock. I like it.
I would order the Bose system, my base stereo sounds awful, it has no punch at all.
Old 07-18-2012, 08:20 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would only get the PDK and Silver colour. For me the rest of the stuff does not add value, the seats are great as they are, base suspension is great too. Again, to me the 20" doesn't look that much diff than 19", but the weight savings is probably better with the 19". I never listen to the radio as the engine sound is great. Love that you skipped the sunroof-another weight savings. Notice a trend? Cheers.
Old 07-18-2012, 09:08 PM
typecase
Advanced

+1 for the sunroof.
Old 07-18-2012, 10:43 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

I dont care for the sunroof and I hardly ever use mine, but IMO a car at this price point should be optioned with one, wether you like it or not.
Not sure how many lbs the sunroof adds to the car's weight, but it should be negible in a 3200 lbs car.
Old 07-19-2012, 11:52 AM
911razr
AutoX

I like the options you picked.

I think it would be nice if you add the Glass sunroof and Power Steering for fuel economy, and feels nice to drive with power steering wheel
Old 07-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Roman Dudinov
Advanced

Originally Posted by 911razr
I like the options you picked.

I think it would be nice if you add the Glass sunroof and Power Steering for fuel economy, and feels nice to drive with power steering wheel
What do you mean by power steering and how does it contribute towards fuel economy? Power steering comes standard on 991 and it actually consumes fuel rather than saves it.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:20 PM
911razr
AutoX

Power Steering Plus is an extra option on the new 991. It's $270. I really don't know how it works that saves fuel, but I have heard about it.
I am ordering this week a 991 Carrera (not S) and still not sure about some options
Old 07-19-2012, 01:21 PM
911razr
AutoX

Originally Posted by Roman Dudinov
What do you mean by power steering and how does it contribute towards fuel economy? Power steering comes standard on 991 and it actually consumes fuel rather than saves it.
Power Steering Plus is an extra option on the new 991. It's $270. I really don't know how it works that saves fuel, but I have heard about it.
I am ordering this week a 991 Carrera (not S) and still not sure about some options
Old 07-19-2012, 01:30 PM
PVP2
AutoX

I would add park assist and folding mirrors if parking is ever an issue for you. Not expensive and could avoid annoying dings.
Old 07-19-2012, 04:58 PM
Roman Dudinov
Advanced

Originally Posted by 911razr
Oh, I see what you mean

You are a bit confused, I guess. Electric power steering comes standard on all 991. It is more fuel efficient than more conventional hydrolic systems. Power Steering Plus is an option which makes low speed manoeuvring easy. Makes steering wheel lighter up to about 30mph. However, a lot of people do not really like it since it is not a big problem to turn steering wheel without this system and very light steering feels slightly awkward on 911. And obviously it has nothing to do with fuel economy.

What else are you hesitating about?
Old 07-19-2012, 09:59 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

According to another site, the sunroof weighs about 30lbs, PASM (w/ PDCC) 48lbs, 18-way seats 20lbs,
I'm guessing about 5-10lbs for the HD, and 20 lbs for the wheels. That's about 100-130lbs roughly. It's a big deal to me, but some of the options might be appealing enough to others to out-weigh the weight. Cheers.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:08 PM
IndyRob
Advanced

I like how you think, and fully appreciate the goal of coming in under 100k, even if you can afford more, at some point you have to draw a line in the sand. I had an 991s with PDK, and PTV, and PASM of course. I found I never used the PASM. I like that the PVT has a better differential, but quite honestly after spending 2 hours in a base 3.4 without it, I'm not a track enough driver to tell. I also do not like the idea that the PTV may intervene and apply the brakes to the inside turning wheel...makes me think could cause brakes to wear prematurely (although sure it's a minor wear factor). Also I had flat tire problems with the 20" wheel, so bad in fact I traded the car in so I could get the 19" base wheel and Goodyears which have higher profile by about 16% and a 10% tougher longer wearing compound, not as gummy. But after a few hours testing one, felt it was still excellent. That saves like $1,500 right there.

If this is your first Porsche, I would say 90% of people who get the Sport Exhaust rave about it. One of the most special things to many is how the car sounds, and with the PDK all the burbles and pops you can get out of it when you manually shift is amazing. It will put a huge smile on your face everytime, more than what the PASM and PTV will.

Free items to consider are the model delete for a cleaner look, you can still have the Porsche on the back end. Also the smokers package which gives a nice spring loaded door over the little cubby with another 12v outlet for charging things.

It is extremely rare to find any of these cars without the Bose upgrade, or Sat Radio. I understand and like the theme though, going with stock radio and popping for the free HD. I am guessing you would never subscribe to the SAT radio after the free trial period and not important to you. The SAT radio is hard to add (at least it was in the 997.2) if you don't get from factory, and for a few hundred right now, even though you don't care about resale, you may want to have that with the HD, if you stick with the base radio. I've heard the base radio actually isn't bad, some have said they like it, it's pretty decent compared to the Bose.
You are going with the top of the line seat, and have heard only incredible things about that, and with the natural red interior that is first class comfort all the way. Obviously that is a high ticket splurge right there that eats up a lot of the way to 100k.
Have you seen some of the other little touches you can wrap in the natural leather. Very few people do it, but you should check it out on the configuator. For example the bright trim strip rectangle that encases the buttons and PDK can be wrapped for $300. That one option alone with the natural red, I believe warms and enriches the interior to a whole level. Also the brightwork that encloses the cup holders easily fingerprints and almost looks cheap against the red. You can have those handwrapped too..as well as the stripes on the door panel...you can do all 4 pieces for $790. So by adding those two items, you really have the leather, and given that seems like a highlight for your build. The fingerprints on the little door don't smudge off easily, I'm not sure what it's made of, but I think leather there would add a lot of elegence, and believe it is a slightly different hue.

I was very influenced by a comment the lead product engineer for the new car said in the Christophorus magazine in an interview. When pushed about which options are must haves for the base car, he said company may not like him saying this, but the new 991 base car is just perfect for the majority of people without adding a single performance enhancement. Likewise although you aren't selecting PDCC, and not available I don't believe on 3.4, I don't like the idea of the such flat handling through turns, I like a little lean...and figure just enough electronic, hydra do-dad that could have problems later.

So I would actually say could save the money on PASM, PVT. Go with Sport Exhaust.

Last edited by IndyRob; 07-19-2012 at 11:59 PM.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:37 PM
IndyRob
Advanced

Default Best Video on Sport Exhaust

This is a much better audio and demonstration of Sport Exhaust than the Porsche website

thanks to Jetta911 for finding...and typeracer8 for his work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=mTwl2kvPCUM
Old 07-19-2012, 11:23 PM
Rocket_boy
Burning Brakes

Received 330 Likes on 219 Posts

First off I think your spec is pretty nice (silver & red is great!). Now just my .02.....

The only thing that will hurt resale is some really bad color combination, high mileage or the car wasn't taken care of like a $90k car should. Options don't matter that much at all, there are buyers for just about every combination out there. Some want them loaded, other buyers won't even know what some of the options are.

SC is not absolutely necessary and my dealer has sold plenty of PDK 991s without as the standard sport button is a pretty darn good combination. If you don't have a need or want launch control or red-line ultra firm shifts you just negated about 2/3rds of SC. The dynamic engine mounts are good, but not necessary either. Sunroof or no sunroof is fine either way, if you don't use it, don't get it. Being that they now cost money, many are taking a second long look whether they need them or not. Again, half my dealers stock has been sans-sunroof cars and they don't have a problem moving them at all.

Get the steering wheel you like most, I decided and ordered the multi-function wheel as I dig the look, the buttons that work both ways on each side, and how it works so well with the nav/radio. For me the SD steering wheel looked a little bit on the cheap side, Porsche could have done better IMO.

PSE is nice and I ordered it, but the stock exhaust is much better compared to the outgoing 997.x cars. So if you like it as is, no need to order it.

For radio, get what you want. Bose and Burmester are better than base and may get you some more $$$ at resale, but not absolutely necessary.

A couple of things I would seriously consider are....steering column wrapped in leather (it is black plastic and looks way out of place in a red leather car), fuse box covers in leather (they are also black and stick out against red carpeting), or order deviated carpeting in black to match the headliner which is black, then you can forget the fuse box covers in leather. Work it up on the 3D configurator and you will see what I mean although you can't deviate the carpet on it, but it is an available option.

Good luck with your final order,....you done good so far!
Old 07-20-2012, 12:14 AM
ipse dixit
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 11,574 Likes on 5,077 Posts

Originally Posted by IndyRob
I like how you think, and fully appreciate the goal of coming in under 100k, even if you can afford more, at some point you have to draw a line in the sand. I had an 991s with PDK, and PTV, and PASM of course. I found I never used the PASM. I like that the PVT has a better differential, but quite honestly after spending 2 hours in a base 3.4 without it, I'm not a track enough driver to tell. I also do not like the idea that the PTV may intervene and apply the brakes to the inside turning wheel...makes me think could cause brakes to wear prematurely (although sure it's a minor wear factor). Also I had flat tire problems with the 20" wheel, so bad in fact I traded the car in so I could get the 19" base wheel and Goodyears which have higher profile by about 16% and a 10% tougher longer wearing compound, not as gummy. But after a few hours testing one, felt it was still excellent. That saves like $1,500 right there.

If this is your first Porsche, I would say 90% of people who get the Sport Exhaust rave about it. One of the most special things to many is how the car sounds, and with the PDK all the burbles and pops you can get out of it when you manually shift is amazing. It will put a huge smile on your face everytime, more than what the PASM and PTV will.

Free items to consider are the model delete for a cleaner look, you can still have the Porsche on the back end. Also the smokers package which gives a nice spring loaded door over the little cubby with another 12v outlet for charging things.

It is extremely rare to find any of these cars without the Bose upgrade, or Sat Radio. I understand and like the theme though, going with stock radio and popping for the free HD. I am guessing you would never subscribe to the SAT radio after the free trial period and not important to you. The SAT radio is hard to add (at least it was in the 997.2) if you don't get from factory, and for a few hundred right now, even though you don't care about resale, you may want to have that with the HD, if you stick with the base radio. I've heard the base radio actually isn't bad, some have said they like it, it's pretty decent compared to the Bose.
You are going with the top of the line seat, and have heard only incredible things about that, and with the natural red interior that is first class comfort all the way. Obviously that is a high ticket splurge right there that eats up a lot of the way to 100k.
Have you seen some of the other little touches you can wrap in the natural leather. Very few people do it, but you should check it out on the configuator. For example the bright trim strip rectangle that encases the buttons and PDK can be wrapped for $300. That one option alone with the natural red, I believe warms and enriches the interior to a whole level. Also the brightwork that encloses the cup holders easily fingerprints and almost looks cheap against the red. You can have those handwrapped too..as well as the stripes on the door panel...you can do all 4 pieces for $790. So by adding those two items, you really have the leather, and given that seems like a highlight for your build. The fingerprints on the little door don't smudge off easily, I'm not sure what it's made of, but I think leather there would add a lot of elegence, and believe it is a slightly different hue.

I was very influenced by a comment the lead product engineer for the new car said in the Christophorus magazine in an interview. When pushed about which options are must haves for the base car, he said company may not like him saying this, but the new 991 base car is just perfect for the majority of people without adding a single performance enhancement. Likewise although you aren't selecting PDCC, and not available I don't believe on 3.4, I don't like the idea of the such flat handling through turns, I like a little lean...and figure just enough electronic, hydra do-dad that could have problems later.

So I would actually say could save the money on PASM, PVT. Go with Sport Exhaust.
Thanks, that's very helpful.

Quick Reply: Ordering Carrera 3.4