PDK Thoughts

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 08:15 PM
MojoCowboy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PDK Thoughts

Hey all,

Have an oppty to pick up a c2s cab pdk from the dealer. Was focusing on MT.

Any thoughts in PDK from former MT drivers?
Old 07-10-2012, 08:33 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 131 Likes on 70 Posts

I hesitate to reply as there is probably no subject aside from the 997/991 issue that will stir up more crud than this one. Just wait for the responses that follow. I'll just say this; I love MT's and have been driving them since I was 16 (I'm 62). I got PDK on my '09 Carrera S because I wanted the best performance and technology available and I have no regrets.

Try to do a thorough test drive in that PDK car, using all of the PDK functions including manual mode, not just a quick spin in auto mode, and decide for yourself. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2012, 08:34 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 321 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by MojoCowboy
Hey all,

1. PDK in normal mode in normal driving will initially drive you bonkers as it tries to get into the highest gear that will move the car as soon as possible, until you get into trying to maximize mpg, a new mildly entertaining new 911 performance parameter of consequence.

2. Contrary to MT theorists, when you have it, you find you can shift it yourself at the rpm of your choice by the mechanism of your choice to make the car behave the way you want and satisfy what itches somewhat more efficiently than you are used to (or let it do its thing with the same result).

3. The variety is very easy to get used to- particularly if you drive frequently in stop and go traffic.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:14 PM
IndyRob
Advanced

I have owned 3 PDK cars. All were great, it's a wonderful piece of engineering, had near bullet proof dependability even with my abuse. Part of that is that it's an electronic request when you move the shifter, if the computer thinks it's okay and won't over rev or hurt one of the double clutches, it processes your request, sometimes much to your surprise.

Sometimes in showing others it's flawless operation, I would take it to speed, and flick it from 7th, to 6th, to 5th, to 4th, to 3rd, to 2nd, and all the way back to 7th, and it wouldn't as much as hiccup.

With Sport Chrno, the launch control is fun. In Sport Plus mode, it is another fun thing as it keeps downshifting to keep the revs up, won't upshift..you can use the paddles to just concentrate on one shift, the upshift. It is the exact opposite of the non sport mode that basically keeps the car at about 1200 rpm and puts it in 7th asap.

I highly, highly recommend it. You can manually hold each gear, quickly downshift, and get maximum burbbles and pops. Coming out of a tight corner, sometimes I would up shift, and then for no reason at all downshift two or three gears just to take it from 3rd, to 4th, back to 3rd and then to 2nd..just to try to fake it out, and to hear the wonderful symphony of sound.

You can't do that with the MT.

But what you can do with the MT, is be in the wrong gear, miss a shift...feel the shift gate, try to think is the 5th or 7th. You can request a gear it doesn't and won't want to go in. You can feel in your palm when it goes in. I will probably drive it at a higher rev range almost all the time, then the PDK would do even in sport mode. I will be in 2nd a lot. I will have the sport exhaust on a lot. from 20 mph to 60, 2nd and maybe 3rd will be the gears of choice...only when I am distracted and want to view more of the country side will I use the taller gears. I probably won't shift as much even as I did in playing with the PDK. But I do know this. After 3 PDK's I really missed the MT.

Pre PDK it was about 90% manuals and 10% Tiptronics...mostly to accomodate the wives of the owner.

First year PDK, it caught on quickly...and by 2nd year was almost 50%/50%.

By 2012 it was 90% PDK, and 10% manuals.

I think given that the PDK is superior in every way, PDK stays majority. But also feel MT starts to crawl back maybe to 20% take rate, given what I am reading on this board.

I like shifting and making a mistake. The PDK NEVER made a mistake.

Either way, I don't think you can't make a bad choice.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:26 PM
Mike Andrews
Instructor

Originally Posted by MojoCowboy
Hey all,

My wife has driven manuals all her life. Ok. most of it. We picked up a PDK cab two weeks ago and she's already a convert.

If you think you want a manual, then just use the shifter to shift gears. Of course you'll have to find something to do with you left foot as theres no clutch but you could manualy move the lever to change the gears.

But I'm betting once you drive one for a few days you'll appreciate the PDK and find times to put it in auto mode.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:32 PM
caveatesq1
Intermediate

I have had limited experience with PDK (but just sold my DCT equipped M3). These dual clutch autos are technological marvels and brilliant for for track use. But if you like a manual and are now considering PDK, I would advise you to spend a significant amount of time with one if you dealer will let you.

With my M3, I found that the novelty of paddle shifting quickly wore off and I ended up driving around in auto mode, constantly infuriated by the transmission's incessant desire to maximize fuel economy at the expense of performance. My experience with PDK in auto mode has been the same. Needless to say, my M3 is history after a mere 20 months and I am picking up a manual 991 tomorrow.

Last edited by caveatesq1; 07-10-2012 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:35 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 254 Likes on 157 Posts

I agree that the PDK dual-clutch gearbox is technologically superior to a three pedal manual gearbox and, for a track car, the PDK dual-clutch rules. But, the MT is more fun to drive on a day-to-day basis. After ~ 2 1/2 years in a dual-clutch transmission car, I just got bored with the flappy pedal gearbox. That's why when it was time for a new car, I went with a 991s w/MT and I'm glad I did. For a DD, you just can't beat a MT car.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:54 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

PDK is faster, MT is more fun. IMO

If it's a dd and/or track times are important, get the PDK. If you want to maximize your driving involvement everytime you get behind the wheel (even on a quick trip to the store), get the MT.
Old 07-10-2012, 09:58 PM
MAHack
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SSST
PDK is faster, MT is more fun. IMO

If it's a dd and/or track times are important, get the PDK. If you want to maximize your driving involvement everytime you get behind the wheel (even on a quick trip to the store), get the MT.
Exactly...MT lets you participate more in what is going on with the car and for 90% of the time, that's driving on the street for most of us.

Incidentally, caveatesq1...what year is your M3 and did you trade it or sell it? I have a 2010 6spd and am not sure which way to go with it. The values of these have stayed higher than expected.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:09 PM
caveatesq1
Intermediate

[QUOTE=MAHack;9676624
Incidentally, caveatesq1...what year is your M3 and did you trade it or sell it? I have a 2010 6spd and am not sure which way to go with it. The values of these have stayed higher than expected.[/QUOTE]

I had a loaded 2011 e92. It was leased and an acquaintance assumed the remainder of my BMWFS lease.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:16 PM
MAHack
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 13 Posts

He got a great deal then....the residuals on the 2010 and 2011s are way lower than the current market value since these are the last V8s I assume...There should already be at least $10K equity in the lease, which almost NEVER happens.

Good luck with the 991. I'm still trying to decide what to order.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:32 PM
caveatesq1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by MAHack
He got a great deal then....the residuals on the 2010 and 2011s are way lower than the current market value since these are the last V8s I assume...There should already be at least $10K equity in the lease, which almost NEVER happens.

Good luck with the 991. I'm still trying to decide what to order.
I am not so sure about that. My current buyout right before completing the transfer was about that same as the CPO cars that I saw on line. My monthly lease payment was several hundred dollars per month lower than that available on a new 2012 M3.

Good luck with your selection. I agonized for weeks before ordering a 981S and even after ordering kept finding myself drawn toward a 991 - especially an S. I compromised on a base car which I think will be more than sufficient as a weekend toy - and a full $325/mo less than the S.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:59 PM
Patriot
Rennlist Member

Received 791 Likes on 293 Posts

My Cayman has PDK. Here's where I would come down on it. If I had a choice between PDK and Manual, and the PDK was a no-cost option, I would choose the PDK. However, if the PDK cost extra (which it does of course), I would opt for the manual. How's that for confusing.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:05 PM
MojoCowboy
Intermediate

I'm trying to decide between an m6 convertible and 911 cab for a dd. I have had a c2s coupe on order for a couple of months that's now delayed due to glass s/r production issues. The process has been dragging on for months.

Figure why not just lose the top altogether. M6 is huge but has its merits.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:14 PM
MojoCowboy
Intermediate

Thanks, everyone for the thoughtful comments.

Quick Reply: PDK Thoughts