Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How are those with base manuals liking them?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 11:39 PM
caveatesq1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How are those with base manuals liking them?

I have a new Boxster S on order due in August but have the opportunity to pick up an in stock 2012 base 911 manual or a 911S manual at a good discount. The 911 has 20s, premium, sport chrono, and Bose - no PASM and no PSE. How are those of you with the base cars liking them? Having major regrets for not getting the S?

I drove the base 911 along with a PDK Boxster S and manual 911S coupe yesterday. I am not a PDK fan and the Boxster felt a little low on power with terrible rear visibility. My order is for a stick. The base 911 felt a whole lot like my previous 997.1S in terms of power and handling. I loved the 911S but the stock car is nearly 20k more than the base and I don't know if I can justify that kind of cash for a weekend toy. Leaning toward staying with my Boxster order but tempted by a 911 at a good price.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:44 AM
packwest
Advanced

I too struggle between the new Boxster and 991. I think for me it will come down to hp. The difference between the Boxster S and 991 base may not be significant enough to warrant the extra cost (although I have never driven the 991 base). I do think the new Boxster is a better looking and proportioned car. My only struggle is with the power output, same as you. Ultimately, it will depend on what you value. Power and prestige, go with the 991 S. Value and balance, the Boxster S is probably the better choice. I would have a hard time justifying a base 991 knowing that the Boster isn't that far behind.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:01 AM
uhn2000
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

I have heard nothing but great things about the base 991. As much a I like the Boxster I really feel that the new styling of the 991 puts it in another league all together.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:05 AM
gota911
Newbies Hospitality Director
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

If you get the Boxster, will you be thinking to yourself "Maybe I should have gotten the base Carrera."? Because you are considering both, this is a possibility.

However, if you get the base Carrera, will you be thinking to yourself "Maybe I should have gotten the Boxster."? My guess is.... probably not.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:46 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 667 Likes on 328 Posts

My 991 base MT is my fourth 911...and is by far the best car I've ever owned. Couldn't imagine going with PDK. Couldn't imagine going with a Boxster S. Drove several 991s' and loved them all, but couldn't justify the extra cost for my needs/interests.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:07 AM
Nemic
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure this helps (it's not really what you are asking about) but anyway.

I recently drove a 911S Cab and a Boxster S back to back - both PDK, sorry.

Up until the drive I had pretty much decided to go for a Bosxter, they are much cheaper and look really good.

However after driving the 991S, the Boxster just left me cold. It was weird, the Boxster was a really nice car but it was just lacking something. I liked the Boxster, but I loved the 991. My wife felt exactly the same, during her Boxster drive she felt no real attraction to it.

I think if I had simply driven the Boxster then it would be an easy purchase. However the 991S Cab just totally eclipsed it.

The 991 did not feel like a cabriolet at all, it was incredibly solid. I won't be buying a Boxster, but will need to save more to get the 991.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:02 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A month ago I traded a 987 Boxster S for a 997.2 911 S Cabriolet and I cannot even put into words how happy I am with the new car. I will say the Boxster was much easier to drive fast, though. But for a quick night out we are able put our dauughter in the back of the 911- a huge plus for us. I think if my wife was pressed on it, she'd say she preferred driving the Boxster. 6 speeds in both of them- for what it's worth. A different dealer was urging me to wait to drive a new Boxster S before buying the 911, but I can't see paying $75k for a Boxster when I could get into a new 997 S Cab for "only" $13k more. I subscribe to the notion that you should buy the best/nicest Porsche you can afford.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:47 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderingwheelz
A month ago I traded a 987 Boxster S for a 997.2 911 S Cabriolet and I cannot even put into words how happy I am with the new car. I will say the Boxster was much easier to drive fast, though. But for a quick night out we are able put our dauughter in the back of the 911- a huge plus for us. I think if my wife was pressed on it, she'd say she preferred driving the Boxster. 6 speeds in both of them- for what it's worth. A different dealer was urging me to wait to drive a new Boxster S before buying the 911, but I can't see paying $75k for a Boxster when I could get into a new 997 S Cab for "only" $13k more. I subscribe to the notion that you should buy the best/nicest Porsche you can afford.
I believe that "get the best you can afford statement" applies typically to used Porsches. My problem is the opposite of what posters on this thread have. I have a 07 Boxster S which I have tracked on occassion, and it was my intent to buy either a 997 or 991 until I took the test drive. I've got addicted to the handling of a mid engined car so it's going to be hard for me to rationalize the extra expenditure for a 991 or 997, especially since I don't require a rear seat.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:31 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There isn't much downside to buying a new Boxster, if all you care about is the experience of driving the car. From my perspective, the 911 is a much higher status car, has a back seat, isn't a chick car, and will almost certainly be easier to get rid of when it is time. Plus, it just feels more powerful through the entire rev-range. The new Boxster looks an awful lot like a Toyota MR-2 to my eyes, besides. The new taller headlights and deeper cut air intakes are what does it for me.

Bottom line: There isn't a bad choice here. But for me, the 911 was the best choice.

Getting the best of what you can afford applies to pretty much everything, really... new or used. High quality, well made items should pay you back over the longer haul.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:40 PM
packwest
Advanced

gota911 does make a valid point. There is a stigma associated with owning a Boxster. It is a step down from the 911 in terms of prestige, heritage, power, etc. If you don't care about any of that stuff and just want a fun car to drive, the Boxster will give you hours of enjoyment. The new Boxster S makes a compelling case. On the public streets, you are able to exploit most of the Boxster's potentials. With the 911, not so much.

At the end of the day, whichever car you buy, you'll be hopping into an excellent sports car build by an excellent car company. You can't go wrong with either.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:04 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

The way I see it, there is with each new model progressively less difference between Boxters and 911s. They share ever more parts, and now that is even true of engines (apart from intake manifolds) in the base versions, and quality is now equivalent in every dimension. The Boxter retains its superb 6 speed and shares the improved PDK. It is marginally slower in acceleration and in top speed- both cars are way beyond street uses of full tilt pushing. I drove a Boxter S at the track last week, and think it was at least as good in the turns and braking hard as the base 991 I drove.

I went from a very good 914 2.0 to a 911 S, and then to a 911 SC, then to a Boxter S, and now to my 991 CS. Every one was great and better than the last. I know what the additional money buys in terms of what matters- to me. I didn't personally feel superior in any way except torque. Save "prestige" for Ferrari and Lamborghini - it is needed to justify spending about twice what a good Porsche costs. There will be a bigger difference between the 991 CS and turbo than between Boxter S an 991. Contemplate that.

BUT- if you have never had a 911, and can afford one, get the 991 - or an older one. There is nothing else like a 911, and every auto enthuseast should have at least one some time.

Last edited by chuckbdc; 07-09-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:13 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by wanderingwheelz
From my perspective, the 911 is a much higher status car, has a back seat, isn't a chick car, and will almost certainly be easier to get rid of when it is time. Plus, it just feels more powerful through the entire rev-range. The new Boxster looks an awful lot like a Toyota MR-2 to my eyes, besides. The new taller headlights and deeper cut air intakes are what does it for me.
Hehe, I was almost burned alive in this forum when I said that the Boxster was a chick car.
I wouldnt go that way again but the above perspective is interesting.
Said that, I love my manual 3.4L 991, it is a blast to drive, I drove them both back to back and the Base 991 "feels" stronger, more solid and powerful, definetely a much better car. The new Boxter looks good too, but it will never be the cream of the crop in the Porsche line.
Old 07-09-2012, 10:30 AM
10 GT3
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by packwest
I too struggle between the new Boxster and 991. I think for me it will come down to hp. The difference between the Boxster S and 991 base may not be significant enough to warrant the extra cost (although I have never driven the 991 base). I do think the new Boxster is a better looking and proportioned car. My only struggle is with the power output, same as you. Ultimately, it will depend on what you value. Power and prestige, go with the 991 S. Value and balance, the Boxster S is probably the better choice. I would have a hard time justifying a base 991 knowing that the Boster isn't that far behind.
Don't forget weight. A 981 S has the same acceleration numbers as a 991 due to its much lower weight. Also, most of the power difference is due to the much more restrictive exhaust on the 981. An aftermarket exhaust should be able to bump that back up.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:54 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 322 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by 10 GT3
Don't forget weight. A 981 S has the same acceleration numbers as a 991 due to its much lower weight. Also, most of the power difference is due to the much more restrictive exhaust on the 981. An aftermarket exhaust should be able to bump that back up.
I read somewhere that the rated power difference was due to a less effecient intake manifold design. Porsch claims is due to the space restrictions in the Boxter compared to the 991. Not sure I believe that and suspect it is part of marketing the 991. I can tell you that the 991 base really does scream and push more at at high RPMS than the Boxter S. So the aesthetics may be different if thats what you like.

They are both so quick that it is only on the race track that such a difference in actual performance is meaningful. The Boxter S I drove had 20s with Pirellis and the 991 Carrera had 19s and something else and the Boxter carried speed more easily in corners. ALL that and the driver will make all the difference in lap times anyway.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:10 PM
caveatesq1
Intermediate

Just put my money down on the base 991, 7 speed manual. Its Guards Red with black standard interior, sunroof, Premium Pkg, Bose Pkg, 20" Carrera S wheels in Platinum, and Sport Chrono. After pontificating all weekend, my decision was essentially made once the monthly lease quote for the nearly $95,000 911 came in only $37/mo higher than the $77,000 Boxster S that I had on order due to a 4% higher residual and a smoking discount on the in-stock 2012 991. At that point, it was a no brainer to go with the 911. My dealer also has a nicely equipped black 991S in stock but I can't justify the $325/mo premium over the base car. Picking it up Wednesday!

Quick Reply: How are those with base manuals liking them?