Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How are those with base manuals liking them?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2012 | 12:36 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by packwest
gota911 does make a valid point. There is a stigma associated with owning a Boxster. It is a step down from the 911 in terms of prestige, heritage, power, etc. If you don't care about any of that stuff and just want a fun car to drive, the Boxster will give you hours of enjoyment. The new Boxster S makes a compelling case. On the public streets, you are able to exploit most of the Boxster's potentials. With the 911, not so much.

At the end of the day, whichever car you buy, you'll be hopping into an excellent sports car build by an excellent car company. You can't go wrong with either.
I would be surprised if 1 out of a 1000 people, excluding Porsche owners of course, could differentiate a 981S and 991 if both cars opted for the model delete option. Also, you would be surprised how inexpensive (relatively speaking) it is to increase the HP of a 981S from 315 to 350.

A couple of months ago I went to see a movie at a local megaplex. On a remote section of the parking lot I saw about 20 people milling around taking pictures of a car. As I approached I saw a Boxster Spyder, top down, and a late model 997 cabriolet parked about 20' apart. Want to guess where most of the people were gathered?
Old 07-22-2012 | 06:43 PM
Onad
Rennlist Member

Default Discounts on Manual 2012s

Originally Posted by caveatesq1
Just put my money down on the base 991, 7 speed manual. Its Guards Red with black standard interior, sunroof, Premium Pkg, Bose Pkg, 20" Carrera S wheels in Platinum, and Sport Chrono. After pontificating all weekend, my decision was essentially made once the monthly lease quote for the nearly $95,000 911 came in only $37/mo higher than the $77,000 Boxster S that I had on order due to a 4% higher residual and a smoking discount on the in-stock 2012 991. At that point, it was a no brainer to go with the 911. My dealer also has a nicely equipped black 991S in stock but I can't justify the $325/mo premium over the base car. Picking it up Wednesday!
This is a helpful thread... I'm stuck on the same question.

What sort of discounts are you guys expecting to see on the 2012 991s in the next few months? I've seen references like the above on "smoking discounts" and forum members talking about 5-7% off over the last few months. I'm thinking they will have to offer deeper cuts soon on the left-over 2012s. I've been thinking about the value proposition of ordering a low-spec base manual under $90 versus another Boxster, but I think my heart is set on the 991 at this point-- I just need to a bit of time to rationalize the price difference. That said, if I see pictures of the new Cayman soon, and it has a glass sunroof like the 2013 991, I might put down a deposit. The planning for the next one is always an enjoyable experience. Thanks all.
Old 07-22-2012 | 07:28 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

You can't go wrong with a Boxter, a Cayman or a 911- base or S--- they are ALL superior sports cars. They all have their own advantages, and many differences among them shrink with every model update.

But make your choice for what you value in driving, not over notions of "prestige", the perceived approval of others or marginal differences in monthly payments, so long as you an afford what you purchase. Life is too short!
Old 07-22-2012 | 09:16 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
. . . . so long as you an afford what you purchase. Life is too short!
Life IS MUCH TOO SHORT. So get on with it. Days after you take delivery of your new Porsche, you will forget about whether or not you made the right choice of model or options. IT WILL BE GOOD whatever it is!

Forget what the "Jones" think. Go where your heart is.
Old 07-23-2012 | 12:05 AM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Couldn't agree more-life is too short if you think in terms of human existence on this planet and our average 911 driving age (say you buy a 911 at 30 & can't drive it past 80). It's a blink of an eye. On the subject of cars-I love all Porsches. On a wonderful Spring day I am in love with the Boxster, and on other days a 911. And as far as the issue of prestige is concerned, anyone bragging about a 911 should try parking it next to a Buggati or Enzo. Love the car for what it is and not what others think about it. It puts things into perspective. Cheers.
Old 07-23-2012 | 12:35 PM
Onad
Rennlist Member

Default Agree

Agree on all accounts. I've had two Boxsters and I like the idea of the extra cabin space in the 991 versus the Boxster. In so far as keeping up with the "Jones Family," for me at least, the perception that the 911 is an even fancier Porsche than the Boxster is a negative. I'd rather keep a low-profile-- hence, as much as I love the yellows and other bright colors, my next Porsche (991, 981, or 997.2) will be another dark shade in an attempt to blend in a bit.
Old 07-23-2012 | 07:27 PM
DRJMK
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Nemic
I would like to see photo's of that colour as well, Evio.
Please post some pics! I am debating on forking out the extra cash for the polar silver. And with the blue interior, but I am torn between the Boxster S and waiting for the Targa.
Old 07-23-2012 | 11:03 PM
fast1
Race Car

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
You can't go wrong with a Boxter, a Cayman or a 911- base or S--- they are ALL superior sports cars. They all have their own advantages, and many differences among them shrink with every model update.

But make your choice for what you value in driving, not over notions of "prestige", the perceived approval of others or marginal differences in monthly payments, so long as you an afford what you purchase. Life is too short!
I couldn't agree more. There are a lot of good reasons for buying a car, but perceived prestige is near the bottom in my books. My experience is that 99% of the general public couldn't care less what kind of car that others are driving, and it's a mistake to assume that a car that impresses you will necessarily impress others.
Buying a car that you feel may impress others can be a very elusive goal, and certainly not a rewarding one IMO. I learned this lesson from the school of hard knocks many years ago when I tried to impress a young lady with my purchase of a Porsche 911. It just so happened that she loved Hondas and didn't care for Porsches at all. Fortunately I did and that's all that really matters.
Old 07-24-2012 | 12:45 AM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fast1
. . . . I learned this lesson from the school of hard knocks many years ago when I tried to impress a young lady with my purchase of a Porsche 911. It just so happened that she loved Hondas and didn't care for Porsches at all. Fortunately I did and that's all that really matters.
I take it you did not marry her.

Funny, nothing but Honda and Porsche in our family.

Quick Reply: How are those with base manuals liking them?