Sponsored by:

991Turbo Look

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 09:19 PM
Roman Dudinov
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carcam
However, I would love a turbo without the side vents and rear spoiler.
I would love turbo without turbo.
No, really, I want naturally aspirated rear wheel drive 991 with somewhat around 500hp and (unlike GT3 RS) day-to-day usubility of Carrera.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:14 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Spoken like a bunch of guys who have never owned a turbo. Boost is good. Really good. 90% of peak torque at 2800 rpm and then hold that to near the redline. Few V8s can do that.

The AWD is basically invisible unless you really need it, and then it is a nice fail safe. I'm not saying it is the best option for a really experienced track driver, but for normal schmucks like me it helps keep the car between the ditches.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:38 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by SSST
Spoken like a bunch of guys who have never owned a turbo. Boost is good. Really good. 90% of peak torque at 2800 rpm and then hold that to near the redline. Few V8s can do that.

The AWD is basically invisible unless you really need it, and then it is a nice fail safe. I'm not saying it is the best option for a really experienced track driver, but for normal schmucks like me it helps keep the car between the ditches.
By "bunch of guys", I think you must mean Roman.
Old 07-07-2012, 11:31 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Point taken. Spoken like a guy named Roman who has never owned a turbo....
Old 07-08-2012, 12:54 AM
packwest
Advanced

Wow, pretty harsh and judgmental comments here. I mean, what's the harm in wanting to make your 4S look like a turbo? Some people may not have the money to step up to a turbo. Is a base 911 with an aero kit a poser car for the GT3?

Bill, I would look into the option of having a professional just cut into the existing sheet metal to get the turbo side vents, and just order the plastic trim that covers it. Risky move if the auto werks guy isn't skilled, but I'm sure a lot cheaper than buying 2 whole rear quarter panels. Just make sure nothing is underneath when you cut into the metal (i.e., wires).
Old 07-08-2012, 04:15 AM
Roman Dudinov
Advanced

Originally Posted by sportscentury
By "bunch of guys", I think you must mean Roman.
Point taken. Spoken like a guy named Roman who has never owned a turbo....
LOL. What are you implying?

I like high revs with most of the torque and power up there, sound of naturally aspirated engine, low weight, linear power delivery, rear wheel drive and every-day usability. At the moment the best choice for me is 991 C2S with power kit fitted which arrives late August, but if Porsche could produce some kind of über-Carrera with 500+ hp, I would love to have one.

People, who are trying to make purely rational judgments about 911 make me laugh. This is not a family van. It is a toy. It has to make you smile. If you like turbo boost it is cool. I like something different. It sounds like you are trying to convince me that bordeaux is better than burgundy or blondes better than brunettes. Just pointless. There are things that work for you and there are things that work for me. Not necessarily the same.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by bill8411
Well, you guys spoil an otherwise good party....
Hey Bill- customizing a car is one of the favorite things any car guy does. Your car, your taste- make it your own and enjoy it. As a group though, I find Porsche guys are more purists and as a whole like to keep their car within what the factory would do. Aerokits, wheels, exhausts, etc. Make your Mustang look like a Shelby or Vette look like a ZR1 and it's more accepting. Good luck
Old 07-08-2012, 10:54 AM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

If Porsche purists can accept Porsche mixing and matching parts from the bin into 57 flavours I don't see why owners can't as well. Go for it...just don't put a Turbo badge on it...
Old 07-08-2012, 03:45 PM
packwest
Advanced

SharpMan, the most logical argument yet.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:27 AM
LewisB
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What's next? A balled up tube sock in the front of the jeans?
Old 07-09-2012, 11:10 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by LewisB
What's next? A balled up tube sock in the front of the jeans?
lol

Quick Reply: 991Turbo Look