Sponsored by:

2012 vs 2013

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 10:45 AM
Alan Siegel
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 vs 2013

found a car that's the right color combo with options and dollars (?) that i'd be very happy with at a dealership just as i'd made up my mind to order a 2013 that would arrive in oct.

i'm going to go see it today but in a case like this where the options are close, should dollars be the deciding factor between getting an '12 now or waiting a few months and getting a 2013 car i'd order. seriously option-wise the cars are VERY close.

the one i'd order would be cosmetically perfect and only the options i really want. the dealership car has a few less of the cosmetic options substituted with the chrono package which i really don't need but the numbers work out very close. the chrono package had always been a consideration for the dynamic engine mounts which i'd heard helps make the 991 drive smoother - one of the primary reasons i want to upgrade from my 997.
what do you think?
Old 07-03-2012, 12:52 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Dynamic engine mounts don't make for a smoother ride- they provide less movement of the engine mass, and more stabiltiy at very high rates speed in turns by snubbing down (hardening) the mounts to almost solid to the chassis. So if it is smooth that you are after that should not be the deciding factor.

Stay away from PASM Sport, and S with 20 inch wheels, and Sport Chrono if "smoother" is what you are after, as they don't provide that. But be aware that ALL 991s are "smooth" relative to prior generation shorter wheelbase 911s, due to the longer wheelbase, chassis improvements, and the higher profile tires that are standard because of them (relative to the wheel sizes that are optional).

My take was to compromise very minimally on the "cosmetic" and the "options" I really wanted because I wanted it NOW and got what I considered a good deal. I can live with the compromises or change stuff and am not missing a minute's enjoyement. PS PASM Sport is not a harsh ride at all, and does other good things for me in the looks and handling department.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Alan Siegel
Advanced

so are you saying the 19" wheels will be better than the 20s in that case? i was opting for the basic cab but with a full leather interior to spend the money on. a couple of ext things like color matched painted wing mirrors, the dual sport exhaust pipes, pdk, front and rear park assist. but no performance upgrades at all. the car i found has 20" wheels, chrono, and bose, none of which i need but aren't a deal killer. it has leather int just not full leather. but int he end, the extra money for the larger tires, the chrono, and bose are about equal to the cost for full leather interior.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:39 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

personally i would order the 13 and wait the 4 months. The various threads about problems: Fuel line recall, suspension clunk, various internal rattles, air deflector on Cab, etc all give me pause.

good luck
Old 07-03-2012, 02:22 PM
clembo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are getting PDK, then Chrono is nice. I have 20's on my 991 and it rides better than 19's on my 997, plus it handles better as well.

You need to decide if you want gratification now with a car that is 95% of what you'd order, or wait 4 months, miss alot of fun, and then get exactly what you want.

Both scenarios are wins.
Old 07-03-2012, 02:43 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by Alan Siegel
so are you saying the 19" wheels will be better than the 20s in that case? i was opting for the basic cab but with a full leather interior to spend the money on. a couple of ext things like color matched painted wing mirrors, the dual sport exhaust pipes, pdk, front and rear park assist. but no performance upgrades at all. the car i found has 20" wheels, chrono, and bose, none of which i need but aren't a deal killer. it has leather int just not full leather. but int he end, the extra money for the larger tires, the chrono, and bose are about equal to the cost for full leather interior.
NO NO NO not saying that. I was saying that IF smoothness meant everything to you 19s with OEM tires would likely be smoother than 20s.

I would get 20s in any case as the ride is very good with them, as I prefer the look they give the car, and the handling advantages. If that don't matter and it is full leather or not, I would get full leather on grounds that you can't SEE the tires from inside the car where you will spend more time appreciating how wonderful your car is (once you get over going out to stare at it and touch it if you are like me with a new car).
Old 07-03-2012, 02:59 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by kosmo
personally i would order the 13 and wait the 4 months. The various threads about problems: Fuel line recall, suspension clunk, various internal rattles, air deflector on Cab, etc all give me pause.

good luck

Face it, the issues have been small ones for a mostly new car:
The fuel line recall required a little sleive to prevent potential rubbing, the more serious suspension clunk issue (ehich I don't have) is now resolved at the factory, the internal rattles turn out to to be simple fixes, the air deflector on Cab turned out to be resolved with a little lube.

You can be certain the cars will be improved continually for the next ten years and last years will always be not as "perfect" as next years.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:28 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 251 Likes on 154 Posts

FYI, Porsche "Full Leather" is a leather upper dash and door panels. The lower dash, glovebox door and console are additional.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:29 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

My car will be here in a couple of weeks, and I chose full leather and the premium package over the performance options like SC, PSE, and PDCC. I'd order what you want rather than take a bunch of options you don't need.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:22 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=chuckbdc;9658306]Face it, turned out to be resolved with a little lube.

That's what she said......
Old 07-03-2012, 11:15 PM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

[quote=cole328;9659442]
Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Face it, turned out to be resolved with a little lube.

That's what she said......
And a little sleeve to prevent potential rubbing.......that's what she said.
Old 07-03-2012, 11:41 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unless there is a big price difference, I would order exactly what you want and get a 2013. It will be a model year newer from a future value perspective, and they will likely make improvements based on problems experienced with the first year version. The problems may be minor, but you still have to go through the hassle of taking your car in to get them fixed.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:29 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Face it, the issues have been small ones for a mostly new car:
The fuel line recall required a little sleive to prevent potential rubbing, the more serious suspension clunk issue (ehich I don't have) is now resolved at the factory, the internal rattles turn out to to be simple fixes, the air deflector on Cab turned out to be resolved with a little lube.

You can be certain the cars will be improved continually for the next ten years and last years will always be not as "perfect" as next years.
Agreed. Some folks would have you believe the first year 991 has been plagued with problems, which is just nowhere near reality. Enough already.

And, as an aside, the OP is clearly talking about a base, and the fuel line recall was only on early 991Ss.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Alan Siegel
Advanced

well, i put my deposit down on a car that was almost exactly what i want. i have until friday to decide. yes, if i ordered a car it would be perfect. no, i wouldn't get quite the deal. i'm getting about 8% off. not sure i'd get that on the new order plus they matched the best price on my '09 997. so i'm kinda torn. the car is great and it would be nice to have it immediately. well, i've got a couple of days to decide....
Old 07-04-2012, 05:31 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by Alan Siegel
well, i put my deposit down on a car that was almost exactly what i want. i have until friday to decide. yes, if i ordered a car it would be perfect. no, i wouldn't get quite the deal. i'm getting about 8% off. not sure i'd get that on the new order plus they matched the best price on my '09 997. so i'm kinda torn. the car is great and it would be nice to have it immediately. well, i've got a couple of days to decide....
Now we are all waiting to see what you do!

Quick Reply: 2012 vs 2013