Sponsored by:

2012 vs 2013

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 10:44 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Siegel
ok, i'm home. i'm not sure how to start. i could write pages and i'll answer any questions anyone has, but night and day is the only way i can describe the difference between my 997.2 S cabriolet and this 991 base cab. it's not just a little better in every way. to me its as significant as a going from a classic austin healey to an mbz sl. there will be many people that take offense from that but i'm not comparing vehicles but the gulf between pure sports car and a luxury sports car EXCEPT, the best parts of what make a porsche a porsche are there. but, i'm telling you it's night and day. from just having automatic lights to parking seniors for a car you can see neither the front or the back of...it's an upgrade that when you're spending over 100k you should have. this is bar none the finest car i've ever driven. i'm speechless but i have so much to tell. but for now let me say this. i had my 997 for only 8 months. it was a fully loaded special car that POA gave VIPs to use (eric clapton's phone book was in the PCM) it was a powerful unreal sports car but this is something so far and away beyond....i apologize to all who think porsche has caved to the "older, luxury buyer" of which i guess i'm one...but I LOVE THIS CAR - LOVE!
This is how I felt when I first drove the 991 ... and still feel several hundred miles later. The 991 is substantially better than the 997 in numerous ways (imho) ... I don't miss my earlier pcars and, in fact, I could not imagine going back to a pre-991 911.
Old 07-08-2012, 12:00 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan Siegel
ok, i'm home. i'm not sure how to start. i could write pages and i'll answer any questions anyone has, but night and day is the only way i can describe the difference between my 997.2 S cabriolet and this 991 base cab. it's not just a little better in every way. to me its as significant as a going from a classic austin healey to an mbz sl. there will be many people that take offense from that but i'm not comparing vehicles but the gulf between pure sports car and a luxury sports car EXCEPT, the best parts of what make a porsche a porsche are there. but, i'm telling you it's night and day. from just having automatic lights to parking seniors for a car you can see neither the front or the back of...it's an upgrade that when you're spending over 100k you should have. this is bar none the finest car i've ever driven. i'm speechless but i have so much to tell. but for now let me say this. i had my 997 for only 8 months. it was a fully loaded special car that POA gave VIPs to use (eric clapton's phone book was in the PCM) it was a powerful unreal sports car but this is something so far and away beyond....i apologize to all who think porsche has caved to the "older, luxury buyer" of which i guess i'm one...but I LOVE THIS CAR - LOVE!
If it lasts more than four hours, go for another ride.
Old 07-08-2012, 02:58 PM
Alan Siegel
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i went early this morning to gelsons (our local market), well, how about a small detail like the trunk...it seems enormous. and, the same roads i've driven for 25 years around my neighborhood that in the last 8 months in my 997s would jar my arms out of the socket are as smooth as riding on a newly paved surface. and if i really miss that old time feeling...well, this car had the chrono package, though its not something i would have ordered, and its back to the sound and grip of my 997 BUT driving like a dream. but day 2...i have decided that as good as an upgrade the bose system is comparatively, I'm going to have my custom stereo transferred from the 997 into the new 991. it may be better, after the initial blast of enthusiasm, there's no way i can settle for it over my reus auto upgrade.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:59 PM
Alan Siegel
Advanced

now that i've bought new brand new porsches this month, i realize i have an issue to get some advice on. living in california, front plates are required. on my 997 i used the tow guard on the side, but obviously on the cayenne and 991 (both have front parking sensors) what options do i have. i thought about the motorized mounts that hide the plate under the car until you raise it up for parking or going into the airport but i've also seen a form fitting holder. the hideaway plate won't work on the 991 because there's not enough room. so what's everyone doing?
Old 07-08-2012, 05:05 PM
IndyRob
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What pieces did you put in your aftermarket stereo??

The Bose is pretty good, and I thought the Burmester was spectacular. Alan, can you share with us some of the components and speakers you've found as great sound for after market? Just a novice audiofile, and wondered what a great system could be had for if you went with the base system and upgraded. I would think the strength and quality of the bass would surpass any factory stereo in your custom one, but wondered what you had found that was so good you may transfer the whole thing to the new car. Thanks!
Old 07-08-2012, 06:55 PM
Alan Siegel
Advanced

rob, i wrote this very lengthy reply to you and for some reason it didn't take but the gist of it was to find a system that mirrors home audio is critical for me in any car but in a cabriolet especially so. i've used reus audio systems for years in 3 different cabriolets. they customize every car with their own equipment especially for each car. they ultimately optimize what comes in each high end car they work on. if you want to contact them they're online but i'd be happy to give you my direct contact
Old 07-08-2012, 06:57 PM
Alan Siegel
Advanced

they work all over the states, though they're based in southern california...specifically anaheim. they match all interior materials on anything they alter and the work is exception...just like the sound stage they create
Old 07-08-2012, 10:26 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 23 Posts

Congrats on your new car. Loving the interior color.

I am an audiophile and I've had a chance to listen to Reus systems at the LA auto show. Very impressive sound and workmanship. If you don't have the Burmester, then this is the next best ( ?better) thing.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Alan Siegel
Advanced

music and fidelity are subjective to say the least. i test drove a fully loaded s cab before i bought this car and it had the burmester stereo, but i found the definition, especially at low volume, lacking. but as i said music is so subjective. some of the cars i test drove had settings fiddled with by precious test drivers and the settings were all over the map. i know i can trust reus to make the sound exactly the way i like it...
Old 07-09-2012, 07:55 PM
Alan Siegel
Advanced

previous not precious (sorry)
Old 07-10-2012, 08:58 AM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Do you know if you can add amps and change speakers in the base system? I too was underwhelmed by the Bose system and have customized car systems in several cars. I'd prefer to add some JL amps and speakers and retain the functionality of the stock head unit if possible.
Old 07-10-2012, 02:19 PM
Alan Siegel
Advanced

well, i spoke to cliff at reus yesterday and he said on a new car like this he'd need two days just to diagnose and test how things would work with the build. this will be their first (or maybe second - someone is scheduled to bring one in ahead of me -then mine will take a day instead). so they are meticulous about everything. each system is customized for each specific car. just sitting in their waiting room and looking at the list on the schedule is a combination of some of the most expensive cars and biggest celeb names...i feel like a munchkin in oz. but i'm not treated that way. i think this will be my 6th or 7th stereo...a 320 mbz cab, a 650i cab, the 997 cab, a range rover, a x-5, the new cayenne...
Old 07-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Alan Siegel
Advanced

as i said a lot of the elements are custom made in their shop and not oem. if anyone is interested i'd be happy to get you in touch with who i talk with. funny at the completion of every installation cliff and rick (reus) come out to demo the system and they are actually so pleased...like they're parents giving birth. i'm gushing but i've never heard a stereo in any car that's as good as any of mine have been. ever
Old 07-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Alan Siegel
Advanced

btw if i had ordered and not found this incredible deal i got...this black and tan cab just seemed to fall into my lap, i never would have ordered a porsche stereo system in the build

Quick Reply: 2012 vs 2013