Sponsored by:

PorschWorld Roadshow Great Event

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 09:46 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 320 Likes on 193 Posts
Default PorschWorld Roadshow Great Event

I attended a Porsche World Roadshow this morning at Summit Point in West VA. Got in several runs of a section of the track slowed w cones to about a 1 min. run in a Boxter S, PDK Sport Chrono on 20s. Felt smoother, faster and easier to exploit than my 2008 Boxter S RS-60, but could def do with a bit of lowering. Was hard to tell if the brakes were any different, but they were just outstanding pulling down from top of 2nd gear maybe into third, was too busy to notice!

Then on the tight Shenandoah circuit with its carousel turn following instructors who took us for 8/10s lap (with so tech a circuit and not too much run off did not go overboard).

in a Panamera GTS 450 hp with every susps option on big Michelins (despite Perelli decals on the car). Cars this big and heavy just cannot do what this car does! Mostly redline in 2nd in the twisties but made somewhere over 110 on the short straight. NO lean, no out of shape just high grin higher G's than should be possible, just amazing. The interior in this car was just this side of a spacecraft. I had just enough time to find the sport plug and tighter sups buttons before having to put foot to floor and chase the instructor. A very very fast limo!

Then a "base" Carrera PDK on 19s. No idea if its is sluggish down low 'cause it is "typical 911 lively" on the track (rear weighting obvious), revs like hell and goes fast, did not have time to look but felt slower that the GTS, (forget to see what tires it had), then:

A Carrera S, PDK Sport Chrono, PASM Sport, 20 in Pirellis sups -just like my car but w PSE too. Fantastic easy to go very fast - maybe 5 mph more than the GTS on the fastest straight perhaps 'cause I had more confidence in braking (weighs half ton less!).

Perhaps it was the helmet and the AC on and windows up (hi 90s outside), but the PSE was not obviously better than just the sound piped in intake noise. Or perhaps I was too focused on turn in and braking from redline speeds to notice; PDK magic in Sport and Sport+ settings and 400 hp place ALL your attention on carrying speed, getting on it progressively and braking to bulge your eyeballs. I liked it A LOT. But how could I not?
Old 07-02-2012, 09:51 AM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I attended a Porsche World Roadshow this morning at Summit Point in West VA. Got in several runs of a section of the track slowed w cones to about a 1 min. run in a Boxter S, PDK Sport Chrono on 20s. Felt smoother, faster and easier to exploit than my 2008 Boxter S RS-60, but could def do with a bit of lowering. Was hard to tell if the brakes were any different, but they were just outstanding pulling down from top of 2nd gear maybe into third, was too busy to notice!

Then on the tight Shenandoah circuit with its carousel turn following instructors who took us for 8/10s lap (with so tech a circuit and not too much run off did not go overboard).

in a Panamera GTS 450 hp with every susps option on big Michelins (despite Perelli decals on the car). Cars this big and heavy just cannot do what this car does! Mostly redline in 2nd in the twisties but made somewhere over 110 on the short straight. NO lean, no out of shape just high grin higher G's than should be possible, just amazing. The interior in this car was just this side of a spacecraft. I had just enough time to find the sport plug and tighter sups buttons before having to put foot to floor and chase the instructor. A very very fast limo!

Then a "base" Carrera PDK on 19s. No idea if its is sluggish down low 'cause it is "typical 911 lively" on the track (rear weighting obvious), revs like hell and goes fast, did not have time to look but felt slower that the GTS, (forget to see what tires it had), then:

A Carrera S, PDK Sport Chrono, PASM Sport, 20 in Pirellis sups -just like my car but w PSE too. Fantastic easy to go very fast - maybe 5 mph more than the GTS on the fastest straight perhaps 'cause I had more confidence in braking (weighs half ton less!).

Perhaps it was the helmet and the AC on and windows up (hi 90s outside), but the PSE was not obviously better than just the sound piped in intake noise. Or perhaps I was too focused on turn in and braking from redline speeds to notice; PDK magic in Sport and Sport+ settings and 400 hp place ALL your attention on carrying speed, getting on it progressively and braking to bulge your eyeballs. I liked it A LOT. But how could I not?
Nice write-up. I had an opportunity to do the event in NY and NJ so twice the dose! The Pani GTS felt very fast but it was like a battering ram. Way too heavy for the track. The “S” 991 was as expected - insane. The big surprise was the Base which was crazy fast and kept up very well with the “S”. In fact at times, I couldn’t tell the difference. I had a guest with me that agreed. I tried both back to back on the tracks. The “S” felt somewhat more power in low gear but through the race, I couldn’t tell much of the difference between the two variants. Very impressed with this Porsche event. Well done. I think you summed it up.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:04 PM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I needed more laps in Monticello- The PSE was evident as you waited in the pits and another group took off awesome sound when pushed. I agree with most all of what you said and I really would have liked the boxster on teh "big boy" track as someone else put it. I think they're afraid to do that as it mght just run with the big boys. It took me two trooper sighting to finally slow myself down on the way home!
Old 07-03-2012, 09:27 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 320 Likes on 193 Posts

Fully agree re the Boxter S. I think it is the sweet spot in the Porsche lineup given the overall look and quality, the performance, price and top down fun factors. There really is nothing else like a roadster, even one this "grown up". If it could be had with the Carrera S engine, I'd place it first (and trade mine). Until they do, I will make do with my poor old 991.

Reflecting on everything I drove I have to say the Panamera GTS was the most impressive. I have seen the road tests and knew it was powerful. But the way a car that luxorious that weighs that much can go and stop so fast so effortlessly was mind boggling.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:34 PM
stronbl
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I did the event with my wife at Alameda Point, CA on Aug 12. It was a fun event especially if you go in with the attitude of an extended yet agressive test drive. PCNA had set up a nice small "track" and autocross course on one of the abandoned runways. We also had a short stratight acceleration test area to compare Panamera S vs Panamera Hybrid and Cayenne S vs Cayenne Hybrid.

As with the other comments already stated, the Panamera GTS was the real surprise to me. Managed 111 mph on the short straight and very limited roll in the corners (I had sport + on). 991 S was fun and drove it last so as to compare. Came away impressed but will not trade my 997-2 just yet.

My wife who had never done any high speed driving on a track was a bit nervous at first but by the time we ended, she loved it. We may have a future PCA autocrosser or De'er here -- if we get the new Boxster S. This is a nice, nice car. My wife's favorite without exception. She loves her 335i convertible but when it's time for a change, the boxster s will be in the discussion most certainly.

Another comment. The Porsche driving schools folks had this short acceleration test section setup so we could compare s types to hybrids as noted. They suggested the differences were almost nil. I told them after driving I could tell the difference. None of the hybrids were as fast. They were very good but I felt the s types had more power or torque or both, at least from the standing start. I probably will not get a Porsche hybrid yet (918 being the exception if I could afford it - can't/won't).

Bottom line -- it was a nice way to spend 3 hours with my wife and driving lots of Porsches in a spirited manner. If you have an opportunity to attend in your area, keep the proper expectations and have some fun.

Quick Reply: PorschWorld Roadshow Great Event