Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone move from an R8 V10 to the 991 S?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 08:37 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone move from an R8 V10 to the 991 S?

Pondering trading in for the S vs. waiting for the turbo or GT3.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:39 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

ive driven R8 V10 and was not impressed, feels like an M3... torque, not fast...

Gt3 is 2014,
Old 07-01-2012, 08:43 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Well, to compare it to an M3 is absurd, but it's definitely a huge difference in feel from a 911 (and I had a 997 C4S as well as a modified 997 GT2). AWD, mid engine, high revving NA engine, etc.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:31 PM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rijowysock
ive driven R8 V10 and was not impressed, feels like an M3... torque, not fast...

Gt3 is 2014,
For the first time in a long time, you are out of your mind....my business partner has an R8 V10--...hands down, way better than any porsche, and kicks the crappp out of an M3 (I have an '11 M3, and his car is on a different planet) Anyway, he also just put the Stasic package on it last month...damn road feel is awesome, grip is just unreal...it's like the tires are stapled to the pavement. And, to most people on the planet, a WAY more visually appealing car than any 911. The only reason I would get a new 991 over the R8 is if I needed back seats. Otherwise, while more money, it's way better of a car.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:35 PM
ajag
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cole328
For the first time in a long time, you are out of your mind....my business partner has an R8 V10--...hands down, way better than any porsche, and kicks the crappp out of an M3 (I have an '11 M3, and his car is on a different planet) Anyway, he also just put the Stasic package on it last month...damn road feel is awesome, grip is just unreal...it's like the tires are stapled to the pavement. And, to most people on the planet, a WAY more visually appealing car than any 911. The only reason I would get a new 991 over the R8 is if I needed back seats. Otherwise, while more money, it's way better of a car.
Cole, I wouldn't go so far as to say it's better than any Porsche, or even 911, but different. I've got the Stasis ECU/Exhaust and it looks and sounds great. I guess I'm just getting the itch, as we lunatics do, and don't have (or want to spend, at least) the scratch for a 458 or MP4-12C. I guess I'm just antsy to see what the 991 TT is like and am jumping the gun, hehe.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:03 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by ajag
Well, to compare it to an M3 is absurd, but it's definitely a huge difference in feel from a 911 (and I had a 997 C4S as well as a modified 997 GT2). AWD, mid engine, high revving NA engine, etc.
driven both, HARD.. feels just like an E92 M3, torquey, faster than 997, but not "fast" like gallardo fast or etc.

when you put a couple hundred miles on each, then i'll side with you... the R8 regular is slow as crap, and the V10 i was unimpressed and actually asked if it was really the V10... gallardo is quicker and feels much more involved but is same engine/platform so doesnt make sense.. both are quicker than 991 but so is the m3 except to 60 because it's heavier off the line..

the 991 is slow off the line, somewhat embarrassing because it surely doesnt mimic the numbers that porsche states because of the insane low end lack of power and the lag from flooring it...

best car on the market right now is the 458 and thats why the resale values are so high, if they come down to 160-175 before the TT991 comes out, then that's def the winner in my book... the entire car market is becoming too "soft" because of the regulations and rules... only companies like ferrari and lambo have the ***** to say screw the regulations and pay the fines and give us "real" cars... the 991 unfortunately was designed to gain market share and therefore is more luxury and "posh" than ever before... gotta spend time and money like i did to find it's *****.. they are under there, but you gotta look..

gT3 will be good because they know they have to give it ***** otherwise why would anyone buy it.... the powerkit will be for the showboaters who can't drive a GT3 because of it's lack of lux.
Old 07-02-2012, 12:14 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cole328
do you have sedan or coupe? DSG or manual? (i am comparing it to a DSG coupe)

were you in passenger seat of his or driving? (i am comparing driver for driver, as a pass the tq in the R8 feels robust, as a driver seeing the speedo you see that you do feel it but it doesnt manifest itself in the speedo)

R8 V10 is faster than porsche, but feels like M3, when i say that i mean it has tq... u dont feel the hp... its heavy on braking and turn in... and sluggish because it feels heavy..

would you prefer i compare it to a bentley supersport? same feeling, heavy, sluggish, lots of Tq but feels slow.

i literally put my all into the R8 V10 and wanted to get turned on and lust after it, but it only left me saying "this costs how much?"... i had been driving a scudaria for a few days before it...so obviously it's not scudaria but it's bland... like the 991... these cars need more *****.

obviously this all opinion based, but ive put many miles on both... i do prefer a more "raw" feeling vehicle.. which is why i prefer ferrari and my exige or GT series vehicles.. but the V10 just didnt live up to my expectations...

Last edited by rijowysock; 07-02-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:59 AM
cole328
Three Wheelin'

OK...as always, fair (and thorough) counterpoints, which is why I always love reading and interacting on these posts. So, what would you guys get as a DD? I , like most of you guys on here, have worked hard and can afford just about any car within reason, that I want. However, given that I have two small children, and their toys take up the 3rd garage spot, I can practically only have two cars, DD's each for me and my wife. My wife has a gorgeous S class, which is her acceptable version of a minivan...ha. As mentioned, when my 997S lease was up I got the current M3. Great all around car, but def too much of a "ricky racer"car for me. I need something more representative of my stage in life (46 yo business owner). So, on the current short list, recognizing that I am trying to balance the DD aspect, while still having something fun are the following three:

a) Merc CLS 63
b) Panny GTS (I drove the turbo as well, and found the GTS much more engaging)
c) Maserati Q (love the car, but concerned about reliability)

As always, appreciate any feedback.

BTW, I agree 1000% ....the 458 is THE most stunning car on the road
Old 07-02-2012, 09:11 AM
ajag
Rennlist Member

I went from the GT2 to the R8 mainly because I didn't have time to track much anymore and I wanted a car I (could if I wanted) DD. R8 is so smooth and comfortable it's almost clinical, and I agree that if you don't push it, you'd think you're in an S5. It's heavier and thus slower than the Gallardo, but more liveable. For my purposes it was (and is) perfect. I was worried that it's all around competence would leave it soulless, and it does, a bit, but I wasn't expecting a visceral F or G-car experience when I got it. If I had way more money, I'd love to have a Scud, 458, McLaren or Superleggera as a weekend/track blaster.

Cole, obviously I'd tell you the CLS63 with the M157 biturbo engine is the way to go, hehe. Very moddable and for a small chunk of change you have a real straight line beast (650hp/750tq w/ just a chip). It isn't going to handle like a Panny, but it looks better IMHO. It won't turn as many heads as a Maser, but it's more reliable and cheaper to service. Honestly if I were you I'd look at the M157 E63, CLS63, and the new M5 or M6.

Quick Reply: Anyone move from an R8 V10 to the 991 S?