Banned

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Great picture!
Old 07-02-2012, 01:10 AM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Your car looks fantastic. Re PSE- I drove an S with PSE at the track this morning and was surprised that the intake sounds (piped in) really dominated the experience noise wise - from inside the car with a helmet. Maybe the spectators enjoyed it, but I was way too busy with the rest of what an S provides- blistering speed and eyeball popping braking!
Thanks for the great comments.

In Sport Plus the sound already get louder and better with the sunroof open. I might have enough mileage by end of summer to take in a track day. I can't wait to experience the eye popping braking!
Old 07-02-2012, 09:36 AM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CarManDSL
Thanks for the great comments.

In Sport Plus the sound already get louder and better with the sunroof open. I might have enough mileage by end of summer to take in a track day. I can't wait to experience the eye popping braking!
Does sport plus still shift at redline? I didnt get it this time around b/c I never used Sport Plus and the car now comes with Sport.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:53 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by spourreza
Does sport plus still shift at redline? I didnt get it this time around b/c I never used Sport Plus and the car now comes with Sport.
Yes it does! It's pretty cool too! Except for my salesman who kept suggesting I drive it in Sport because it's enough. I drove it for a good while in Sport Plus and the PDK would only shift somewhere between 6 and 7K RPM...I don't remember exactly...I had to watch the road..Haha!
Old 07-02-2012, 10:09 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Sport Plus is better than Sport only at the racetrack. It shifts up at redline and shifts down through the gears under hard braking with all the gentle grace of a cup car drivin by a maniac, as in brapBAM, brapBAM, etc until it get to the highest rpm the car an carry through the turn. It is programmed for a fast return to the throttle and would unsettle the car unless the speed was carried through. Like mainlining adrenaline. Sport is close but less dramatic,- almost gives time to think.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:15 AM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
Sport Plus is better than Sport only at the racetrack. It shifts up at redline and shifts down through the gears under hard braking with all the gentle grace of a cup car drivin by a maniac, as in brapBAM, brapBAM, etc until it get to the highest rpm the car an carry through the turn. It is programmed for a fast return to the throttle and would unsettle the car unless the speed was carried through. Like mainlining adrenaline. Sport is close but less dramatic,- almost gives time to think.
OK so no change in Sport Plus with the 991 versus 997.2. I had it on my GT Silver 997.2 but never used it. Thats why I didnt get it on the 991. I was starting to regret not getting it this time around but if it still shifts at redline, then I have no need for it since I will probably crash into a building . I thought maybe they made Sport Plus a bit more driveable. So I guess I made the right decision. Sport is definitely enough for me. Thanks dudes.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:29 AM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by spourreza
OK so no change in Sport Plus with the 991 versus 997.2. I had it on my GT Silver 997.2 but never used it. Thats why I didnt get it on the 991. I was starting to regret not getting it this time around but if it still shifts at redline, then I have no need for it since I will probably crash into a building . I thought maybe they made Sport Plus a bit more driveable. So I guess I made the right decision. Sport is definitely enough for me. Thanks dudes.
I think Sport Plus is nice to have IMO. If you get PDK it will definitely shift at redline,but you can always intervene and shift whenever you want using the steering wheel paddles or buttons(whichever you have). But it will keep the quick throttle response and suspension stiffness.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:41 AM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

Choice is good. Don't get me wrong. If they offered Sport Plus Plus, I'd find a place to use that too!
Old 07-02-2012, 03:55 PM
CarManDSL
Rennlist Member

Received 345 Likes on 199 Posts

In Sport and Sport Plus the PDK shift speed is directly related to your aggressiveness. If you floor the throttle, the manual shift is lightning fast and goes to red line without intervention. However, if you floor it 1st to 2nd, then back off into 3rd, the shift will back off and feel lame . . . which is about as fast as you could achieve with a manual transmission shift if you practiced a lot!

Still in the early stages of break-in so can't go nuts just yet to get a feel of the real difference between Sport and Sport Plus. Haven't driven either mode aggressively in auto.

The shocks do firm up in Sport Plus, but with the stiffer springs and sway bars of PASM Sport Chassis, the difference is not that obvious unless you find yourself a really bumpy section and switch the shocks back and forth. Without testing a 991S with and without PASM Sport back to back, (tested both but weeks apart) my subjective feeling is that a 991S in firmest shock mode feels about the same as a 991S with PASM Sport in normal mode. This would be on city streets over bumpy roads around the dealership in Vancouver.

These are the spring and sway bar rates of 991;

991: Sway 26.8mm x 4.0 (hallow) Front spring - 24nm Rear spring - 48nm
991S: Sway 26.8mm Front spring - 28nm Rear spring - 64nm
991S PASM Sport: Sway 28.0mm Front spring - 33nm Rear spring - 108nm

Last edited by CarManDSL; 07-02-2012 at 03:57 PM. Reason: clarification

Quick Reply: 991S has amazing presence