Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carrera vs Carrera S - revisited

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 09:30 PM
vtmikev
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It a Porsche.....very simply, to keep the car in the fun zone...keep the revs up and never go into 5th, 6th or 7th gear unless you feel like relaxing or using your cell phone on the highway. Porsche engines are probably the most free reving motors and can maintain higher rpms with out effort .......better than any other manufacturer.....If you drive any other way you are wasting your money and would be better off in a ZR1, Z06, left over Viperor possibly a BMW M
After testing a Cayman R and a 991 911s in this way back to back I was really pleased with both...despite the HP difference.
I just do not understand why most people shift so low and save the engine for the next buyer in (6 to 10 years......) I also do not understand garage queens, biut that is another topic.

As for the OP, get the S, as you will always be second guessing yourself!
Old 07-01-2012, 09:31 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by NZ951
Its beyond me why people complain about a 3.4+ motor being insufficient power wise for a daily driver car. I have built and owned some fast cars, V8 turbo Supra (550HP) and have a track car now, and for a daily driver my 2001 996 cab with 300HP is more than sufficient as a commuter. Why on earth do you ever need more than that for driving on public roads.
Part of the fun of owning the car is the visceral sensation. For example, coming around a bend, dropping it down a gear, and giving it a little gas. The sensation, sounds, and feel are what make this car so special. Without one of those components (i.e. the feel of the kick in the seat), it makes the experience that much less fun for me. If I'm not having fun after having spent around $100k, something's wrong.

Mind you, I'm not talking about street racing, heck, I don't even need to speed to experience what I'm looking for.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:54 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Received 319 Likes on 193 Posts

I drove a "base" Carerra (w PDK) back to back with a Carrera S PDC Sport Plus, PASM sport, on the track this morning. The S is very obviously more capable,, but- the base car was superb. I did not not drive it hard so the low end torque difference as irrellevant. Driven hard it revved FAST and pulled almost as well at high RPMs and was outstanding in the twisties- with a bit more movement than the S which could have been tire differences (I forgot to look) and of course the lower stiffer springs. I have and like the S but the differences are less than I expected.
Old 07-02-2012, 09:26 AM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chuckbdc
I drove a "base" Carerra (w PDK) back to back with a Carrera S PDC Sport Plus, PASM sport, on the track this morning. The S is very obviously more capable,, but- the base car was superb. I did not not drive it hard so the low end torque difference as irrellevant. Driven hard it revved FAST and pulled almost as well at high RPMs and was outstanding in the twisties- with a bit more movement than the S which could have been tire differences (I forgot to look) and of course the lower stiffer springs. I have and like the S but the differences are less than I expected.
Yah. I did the Porsche World Roadshow in NJ and one in NY. So I had the opportunity to do the event twice. Could not believe how capable the Base was versus the S. Obviously there is somewhat of a difference but I feel that most of the difference can be corrected with driver skills. In the end, the S was insane as was the base. I expected the S to be insane and was completely surprised how well the Base did.
Old 07-02-2012, 11:30 AM
IndyRob
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Solution to be happy with base car

I had one of the first new 2012s in our town. The PDK S is very fast, maybe not turbo fast, but when it comes on...it is very exciting. After some tire issues with the 20" wheels, and realizing how much I missed shifting after having 3 PDKs, I traded it in with only 1200 miles and stepped down to a base manual cab, but loaded it with everything I like for not much more than the S, PDK coupe. To do the deal at a good price, the dealer wanted the S back right away so I went and bought a Mazda Miata to tool around in, till the cab gets built. It got pushed back I think while they ramped up Boxster production. Now we have friends coming up to my wife in the grocery wondering if I lost my job, if I'm okay, did something happen with our kids? etc...but the plan is when I get back in the base cab, from the mazda, I should be back to totally thrilled. It's all relative-- really isn't it? What is wrong with driving it around in upper rev range, squeezing out more. I found very few places in town other than a track to really push the S, I couldn't push it 100%. I'm hoping the base cab is just right.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:22 PM
cmb13
Racer

Originally Posted by IndyRob
I had one of the first new 2012s in our town. The PDK S is very fast, maybe not turbo fast, but when it comes on...it is very exciting. After some tire issues with the 20" wheels, and realizing how much I missed shifting after having 3 PDKs, I traded it in with only 1200 miles and stepped down to a base manual cab, but loaded it with everything I like for not much more than the S, PDK coupe. To do the deal at a good price, the dealer wanted the S back right away so I went and bought a Mazda Miata to tool around in, till the cab gets built. It got pushed back I think while they ramped up Boxster production. Now we have friends coming up to my wife in the grocery wondering if I lost my job, if I'm okay, did something happen with our kids? etc...but the plan is when I get back in the base cab, from the mazda, I should be back to totally thrilled. It's all relative-- really isn't it? What is wrong with driving it around in upper rev range, squeezing out more. I found very few places in town other than a track to really push the S, I couldn't push it 100%. I'm hoping the base cab is just right.
That's really funny! Maybe I should trade my 335i for a Buick, drive it for a while, then get the base. It'll be awesome, and I'll be blown away by the torque! ROFLMAO! The Miata is a great car, btw!

What was the issue with the 20"? I actually kinda want the 19's also to tell the truth. I wonder if there is a Powerkit for the base?
Old 07-03-2012, 12:59 AM
IndyRob
Advanced

I kept getting flat tires. Read others getting flat tires. Tire Rack went on several week backorder on P Zeros. Dealers in Chicago said when they race the new P Zeros big chunks coming out. Just didn't want to be sitting on side of road with wife waiting on flat bed truck.

I have heard good things about the 19" Goodyears. I probably could have put a non spec, or non "N-0" or "N-1" oem 20" on, using Michelins. But in end I decided to go with the base cab, instead of hard top S. I've never had any tire or wheel problems on previous cars. I do like the look of the 20" wheels, but have now convinced myself the 19" base wheel, has the sleeper look I want.

I have not seen anything about powerkit, I would think that's an upcoming "exclusive" to build out when sales slow down, and factory catches breath.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:09 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

I kept getting flat tires. Read others getting flat tires. Tire Rack went on several week backorder on P Zeros. Dealers in Chicago said when they race the new P Zeros big chunks coming out. Just didn't want to be sitting on side of road with wife waiting on flat bed truck.

I have heard good things about the 19" Goodyears. I probably could have put a non spec, or non "N-0" or "N-1" oem 20" on, using Michelins. But in end I decided to go with the base cab, instead of hard top S. I've never had any tire or wheel problems on previous cars. I do like the look of the 20" wheels, but have now convinced myself the 19" base wheel, has the sleeper look I want.

I have not seen anything about powerkit, I would think that's an upcoming "exclusive" to build out when sales slow down, and factory catches breath.
I was not sure what to expect with the Goodyears, but I've been very pleased with them. And I much prefer 19s on the 991.
Old 07-03-2012, 09:09 AM
spourreza
Pro

this is interesting. I have the 19s b/c I thought the 20s looked too big. As I said in my other post, I then began to wonder whether the 19s looked too small on this frame. But now I dont. As for the tires, I do not like the Goodyear F1. They are 0.4 inches thicker than my other low profile tires on my 997.2 which also had 19s. I wish I could change them but they are brand new. Here is what they look like in case you havent seen them (comparison with my 997.2): https://rennlist.com/forums/991/7038...-question.html lots of pics
Old 07-03-2012, 11:43 AM
peewee72
Intermediate

base carrera has same engine than boxter, no? so why would you not get the boxster then for half the price ? I would. forget about the base carrera, just buy the boxster!
Old 07-03-2012, 12:28 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by peewee72
base carrera has same engine than boxter, no? so why would you not get the boxster then for half the price ? I would. forget about the base carrera, just buy the boxster!
But the Boxter coupe is not yet available!
Old 07-03-2012, 12:40 PM
spourreza
Pro

Because he isn't a wealthy high school girl getting a graduation present from dad joking. That said, they don't have the same engine and these are completely two different cars with two completely technologies that are not comparable. Um, even the PDK transmission and MT is different. Width, scale, ergonomics blah blah are different. And please don't quote 0-60 times or you will sound like every other new Porsche buyer that has never step foot on a track. I raced them all and the Coxster felt like being in a go cart on steroids. Sorry these comparisons are idiotic.
Old 07-03-2012, 12:46 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by peewee72
test drove a boxster s. the sticker was $81500!!!
Old 07-03-2012, 01:24 PM
chuckbdc
Race Car

Originally Posted by kosmo
test drove a boxster s. the sticker was $81500!!!
Silly comparison. The cars offer different experiences.

If price is your main consideration the used market offers recent 911s of all stripes and levels of equipment that must be considered bargains, not to mention a recent Spyder. The new cars are great but so are most of the old ones!
Old 07-03-2012, 06:52 PM
cmb13
Racer

Originally Posted by spourreza
Because he isn't a wealthy high school girl getting a graduation present from dad joking. That said, they don't have the same engine and these are completely two different cars with two completely technologies that are not comparable. Um, even the PDK transmission and MT is different. Width, scale, ergonomics blah blah are different. And please don't quote 0-60 times or you will sound like every other new Porsche buyer that has never step foot on a track. I raced them all and the Coxster felt like being in a go cart on steroids. Sorry these comparisons are idiotic.
I love it. I wish I were!!!

However, the reason for the Carrera in my case is b/c of my kids (very small, will fit nicely). That's why I gave up the Vette for a 335i. (big mistake) I had a 3rd car with the Vette, but it was driving me crazy.

Quick Reply: Carrera vs Carrera S - revisited