Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   991 (https://rennlist.com/forums/991-221/)
-   -   Carrera vs Carrera S - revisited (https://rennlist.com/forums/991/704274-carrera-vs-carrera-s-revisited.html)

cmb13 06-29-2012 01:47 PM

Carrera vs Carrera S - revisited

Recently I had posted a thread about the benefits of the Carrera S vs the base model. I was wondering whether the extra power would be worth the cost, as I do not track the car and do not drag race. Additionally, I do not care much about bragging rights. I was really hoping that the base model would be adequate for my needs.

This week I had the opportunity to test drive a base Carrera with a manual transmission. I have to say I was somewhat disappointed. The car seems quick, but seems to rely on a burst of power that occurred around 4000 or 4500 RPMS. Lower in the range, the power it did not seem to be quite what I expected. Again, I do not plan on racing or driving back hard, but would like to have that push if I needed lower in the range.

I may drive a base model one more time before making a final decision, but at this point I'm leaning towards spending extra money on the S. Additionally, I would like to wait for the Targa model, but I really have no idea when this is coming out.

chuckbdc 06-29-2012 02:05 PM

To figure out prepricely what to do find the ratio of $$ to smiles and divide by the number of expected trips over the life of owndership and subtract the $ for options vs standard for base and S.

Alternatively just buy the S and don't worry about it.

wanderingwheelz 06-29-2012 02:14 PM

My dad's next door neighbor just traded his Ferrari on a base 991 Cab. I think that speaks volumes about how he felt about the power on the base car....

kosmo 06-29-2012 02:35 PM

do you have a vette?
both the base nor the S will not have torque like a vette.
However when i drove the base and S, both PDK, the difference was apparent.

WCE 06-29-2012 03:02 PM

I've put about 2k miles on my 3.4 Carrera and am generally satisfied with its performance. Acceleration is sufficient for it to be the fastest car in any normal driving situation, however It never feels supercar fast unless you're over 6k rpm and in first gear. Neither the 3.4 or 3.8 will give you wheel spinning launches, but my test drive of the S definitely felt more "ferocious" at all rpms.
For me, it really came down to keeping the car under $100k including options I wanted with taxes and fees - the S model pushed the car past what I was comfortable with.
Bottom line, if money really isn't an object go for the S, you will probably be more happy with it!

cmb13 06-29-2012 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by kosmo (Post 9648748)
do you have a vette?
both the base nor the S will not have torque like a vette.
However when i drove the base and S, both PDK, the difference was apparent.

I had a Vette, 2005, for 5 years. You're right, it's not an entirely fair comparison, as they are differnet cars with different benefits. The torque of the Vette was amazing.

I realize the Porsche is better in every other way. However, the fact is that for a car that costs twice as much, and was released 7 years later, I would expect it to be as fast.

Without going into that any more, I just don't want to spend $100k and feel disappointed. I might have to sacrifice the cabrio or some other options and go for the S.

Fabolous 06-29-2012 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by cmb13 (Post 9648594)
Recently I had posted a thread about the benefits of the Carrera S vs the base model. I was wondering whether the extra power would be worth the cost, as I do not track the car and do not drag race. Additionally, I do not care much about bragging rights. I was really hoping that the base model would be adequate for my needs.

This week I had the opportunity to test drive a base Carrera with a manual transmission. I have to say I was somewhat disappointed. The car seems quick, but seems to rely on a burst of power that occurred around 4000 or 4500 RPMS. Lower in the range, the power it did not seem to be quite what I expected. Again, I do not plan on racing or driving back hard, but would like to have that push if I needed lower in the range.

I may drive a base model one more time before making a final decision, but at this point I'm leaning towards spending extra money on the S. Additionally, I would like to wait for the Targa model, but I really have no idea when this is coming out.

I think you answered your question there

/end thread

aamersa 06-29-2012 05:02 PM

I agree with what some have said on the other thread about what they would change about the 991. I think the base should be 400 hp, and the S at least 450 hp, ideally 500 hp.

cmb13 06-29-2012 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by wanderingwheelz (Post 9648684)
My dad's next door neighbor just traded his Ferrari on a base 991 Cab. I think that speaks volumes about how he felt about the power on the base car....

I'm not sure. Everyone has their priorities. Ferraris, for most buyers around here, have nothing to do with power and everything to do with sound, feel and image. Not to say they aren't fast and capable, but rather I am commenting about the average buyers priorities. No judgements about your dad's neighbor whatsoever, but that's just my experience around here (Boca Raton area).

I just don't want to spend $100k and feel disappointed coming out from around a bend, kicking down a gear, and waiting for the power to come.

aamersa 06-29-2012 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by cmb13 (Post 9649390)
I'm not sure. Everyone has their priorities. Ferraris, for most buyers around here, have nothing to do with power and everything to do with sound, feel and image. Not to say they aren't fast and capable, but rather I am commenting about the average buyers priorities. No judgements about your dad's neighbor whatsoever, but that's just my experience around here (Boca Raton area).

I just don't want to spend $100k and feel disappointed coming out from around a bend, kicking down a gear, and waiting for the power to come.

Case closed. Get the S. You won't regret it. Until the turbo comes out at least.

SSST 06-29-2012 09:04 PM

The problem is you drove the S. I can never drive the more powerful version of anything and then be satisfied with the base version. That's why I haven't had a non-turbo or non-v8 version of anything in 20 years. Torque is addictive.

If you really want to screw up you decision go drive a 997.2 turbo S.

kosmo 06-29-2012 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by SSST (Post 9649640)
The problem is you drove the S. I can never drive the more powerful version of anything and then be satisfied with the base version. That's why I haven't had a non-turbo or non-v8 version of anything in 20 years. Torque is addictive.

If you really want to screw up you decision go drive a 997.2 turbo S.

you speak the truth!
the same could be said about have money and women! :roflmao:

kosmo 06-29-2012 09:54 PM

to the OP, perhaps a lightly optioned S or even a preowned car may be the way to go.

tgcrun 06-29-2012 10:04 PM

I was able to get an S cab with some nice options, including full leather and premium package for $113,000. If you don't go with PDK, PDCC, SC, etc. you'll still end up with a great car and can get pretty close to that $100,000 mark.

Carcam 06-29-2012 11:50 PM

I guess it's relative. I have the S and feel it's underpowered unless it's really reved up. I miss the torque of the turbo. It's plenty fast but feels slow around town with the PDK, even in sport mode unless you keep the revs up. Even the base is really fast on a track winding it out. I guess it depends on how you drive.