Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What would you have changed if you were given the opportunity to design the 991?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 06:56 PM
Carlo_Carrera
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,470 Likes on 1,559 Posts

Have the sunroof retract into the roof not above it.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:19 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlo_Carrera
Have the sunroof retract into the roof not above it.
sun roof delete is fine with me.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:46 PM
neanicu
Nordschleife Master

Received 350 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
How about RSR suspension geometry on the 997 platform.
2500lbs curb weight
factory integrated roll cage
quick release air bags, nav and a/c system
800 hp from 5000rpm to 10,000 rpm
conventional four-way damper coil over
cabin adjustable sways
driver programmable traction, stability, abs
Guard OEM LSD
Movit rotors
Stop Tech calipers
heads up display with data acquisition on everything from pedal pressure to suspension position
no fuss warranty coverage for track

What?
WOW!

I wonder how much this thing would cost...?

Old 06-28-2012, 11:34 PM
ThatOneGuy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

remove rear seats = mid engine.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:56 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
How about RSR suspension geometry on the 997 platform.
2500lbs curb weight
factory integrated roll cage
quick release air bags, nav and a/c system
800 hp from 5000rpm to 10,000 rpm
conventional four-way damper coil over
cabin adjustable sways
driver programmable traction, stability, abs
Guard OEM LSD
Movit rotors
Stop Tech calipers
heads up display with data acquisition on everything from pedal pressure to suspension position
no fuss warranty coverage for track

What?

MINE!
Old 06-29-2012, 01:59 AM
Alan Siegel
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

two things strictly visual/luxury options. 1) for convenience in ordering: a complete leather interior package that encompassed the entire interior where applicable 2) multiple wood options including the dark walnut wood interior option like in the cayenne instead of the mahogany only option available now. with the luxor beige leather interior in my cayenne the dark walnut is gorgeous.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:31 AM
packwest
Advanced

1. mid-engine
2. 2-seater
3. no more VW beatle headlights
4. no electronic steering
5. sharper angles on the stamping
6. smaller side mirrors
7. better cup holders
8. audi-like interior styling
Old 06-29-2012, 05:24 AM
livaz
Intermediate

This. is. stupid.

I mean come on, 2 seats? mid engine? why ask for this when there is the Boxter?
Old 06-29-2012, 05:31 AM
livaz
Intermediate

btw i would never understand peoples like you who cry when they see a Diesel Porsche Panamera but will sacrifice all the things that make the 911 so special, sure there is some things to do here and there, but ask for something like a mid engine, seriously

(that should be said, and sorry for my poor english, i'm french)
Old 06-29-2012, 11:57 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Alan Smithee
Well, since you asked...

Starting from the inside, the Panamera transmission tunnel/console is dumb in a rear-engined car that, at one time, prided itself on form following function. If the idea is truly to bring the shifter closer to the driver, make the console narrower and without anything under it, like the CGT and MP4-12C. Or separate the dash from the console like every V8 Ferrari (except the 348), and pre-996 911. Bugs me that the steep rise forces the climate control readout to face the sky, which will just accumulate dust and dirt. IMO, taking out the luxury car/SUV console alone would go a long way towards eliminating the new 'GT' image. While they are at it, ditch the electric parking brake and hill-start assist and bring back a conventional parking brake.

The gauge cluster needs help. The hodgepodge of analog and digital isn't working. Stick to one or the other, and make it right - this is another form-following-function trait that the 911 has lost over the years - and if digital, get rid of the 5-dial cluster.

The luxury car door panels do not work either, IMO. Improved interior quality is appreciated, but that does not mean it has to look like it came out of a 6-series.

Outside, I still have a problem with the proportions. I like that it is lower, but to me the wider front end throws off the 911 shape. Maybe it will look better with the wider C4 rear. It is also a shame that it was designed around 20" wheels - I get that 'the market' demands them, but they are heavy, detrimental to handling, prone to damage, and make the (needlessly larger and heavier?) brakes look puny. Again, not 911 traits. I like the shorter overhangs, but I would rather have seen them shorter still, but without the wheelbase increase - bringing back more of the original 911 proportions. Lower, shorter, and wider, instead of lower, longer and the same width.

Mechanically, I would like to see an M030 sport suspension option without electronics, as was last available for the 997.1 in other markets. Even better would be a true coil-over suspension option. Along with that, bring back the 997.1 steering too, please - awesome weight and feedback, whether navigating the mall parking lot or Latigo Canyon. And 400hp is not enough enough for a $100k car in 2012. Doesn't matter that the 991 is 100lbs lighter - it just isn't enough. I also wish the car sounded great without having to engineer sound into the interior.

I also have a problem with the front and rear lights. The front bumper lights have the same design as the new Passat's taillights, and the rears are too much of a sliver with such a large rear bumper cap. I hate the reflectors down at the bottom - they should have been integrated with the taillights. And if we must identify that this is a Porsche, I would have preferred to see big ‘PORSCHE’ letters formed in the plastic, more bold like the original 928, rather than delicate chrome from the original 911. Unlike many, I like the horizontal trailing edge formed by engine lid - not unlike the original 911 - but the engine lid/spoiler cut lines don't work on the coupe - the Cabriolet design is so much better.
amen!
Old 06-29-2012, 12:11 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by evio
Just picked up my 991 MT polar silver metro blue guts, love it waited 6 months for custom color. Worth it
Would love to see Polar Silver on the 991. I had it on my 986 and it was gorgeous. Please post some pictures.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:13 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by livaz
This. is. stupid.

I mean come on, 2 seats? mid engine? why ask for this when there is the Boxter?
Agreed. (It is spelled Boxster, by the way. )
Old 06-29-2012, 12:54 PM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think you mean Coxster
Old 06-30-2012, 03:31 PM
packwest
Advanced

livaz...umm...because the Boxster is underpowered! If you seriously think the 2 useless seats in the back of a 911 have some real world function, you're dillusional and blind. Not only are they useless, but they take up space that could be put to better use, like redesigning the layout so the ugly hump is gone.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:26 AM
livaz
Intermediate

If you need more power why not just wait for the turbo, gts, gt2 or something designed with hard performance in mind?

And about those 2 back seats, that they have been very useful with my 997, and as a Porsche fan i don't EVER see a 911 without them, or with a mid engine, or with something else than a flat6, or without those famous headlights...

Quick Reply: What would you have changed if you were given the opportunity to design the 991?