Sponsored by:

Headlight Washers

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2012, 08:20 AM
spourreza
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight Washers

Hi Everyone, noticed that my car doesnt have headlight washers. Is that part of a package I just missed? Every 991 comes with Xenon's so I thought headlight washers were part of it.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:34 AM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by spourreza
Hi Everyone, noticed that my car doesnt have headlight washers. Is that part of a package I just missed? Every 991 comes with Xenon's so I thought headlight washers were part of it.
Yes, you missed it because you didn't chose a 'Premium' package on your base car. Otherwise you would have had it. It is an option called "Porsche Dynamic Light System" or PDLS. It consist of Dynamic cornering lights, speed-dependent headlight range control, adverse weather function and headlight washer system.

According to one part of PCNA's model information in configurator site, the 991S model comes standard with Bi-Xenons and the Base does not. But if you compare models on that same website, it claims both 991 models come with Bi-Xenons & headlight washers! "The New 911" paper brochure claims both models come with Bi-Xenons but does not mention headlight washers unless talking about PDLS. In the 997/987 models, you only got washers if you ordered Bi-Xenons, which is why I have washers on my '12 Spyder. I hope that by now you as confused as I am about what type of headlight you actually have in your base!

My understanding of the need for headlight washers was a German TuV regulation which specifically required cleaning glass lenses in the event of any obstruction (e.g. snow) which could deflect path of your bright lights into incoming traffic for a blinding effect. It was mandated on certain types of lighting (e.g. Bi-Xenons) by German law, especially in a systems that moves according to load (e.g. self-leveling depending what is in your trunk, etc). If a base 991 headlight system (even if it is technically a Bi-Xenons) does not self-adjust to load, perhaps it doesn't need the headlight washing system! But that is only a guess. Like you, I assume the Base also had Bi-Xenons.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, CO
Old 06-25-2012, 12:02 PM
HotLap
Racer

I hope mine never engage as we don't need them here in sunny SoCal and I had a couple of BMW's (535i and M3) where they came on every four washer cycle (or similar) and I'd always have windshield washer fluid on the hood! I always thought there should have been a separate button for the headlight washers....
Old 06-25-2012, 12:14 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have these and never used them. In fact i wish i didnt even have these as i dont live in a snow state.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:18 PM
spourreza
Pro

Originally Posted by Z356
Yes, you missed it because you didn't chose a 'Premium' package on your base car. Otherwise you would have had it. It is an option called "Porsche Dynamic Light System" or PDLS. It consist of Dynamic cornering lights, speed-dependent headlight range control, adverse weather function and headlight washer system.

According to one part of PCNA's model information in configurator site, the 991S model comes standard with Bi-Xenons and the Base does not. But if you compare models on that same website, it claims both 991 models come with Bi-Xenons & headlight washers! "The New 911" paper brochure claims both models come with Bi-Xenons but does not mention headlight washers unless talking about PDLS. In the 997/987 models, you only got washers if you ordered Bi-Xenons, which is why I have washers on my '12 Spyder. I hope that by now you as confused as I am about what type of headlight you actually have in your base!

My understanding of the need for headlight washers was a German TuV regulation which specifically required cleaning glass lenses in the event of any obstruction (e.g. snow) which could deflect path of your bright lights into incoming traffic for a blinding effect. It was mandated on certain types of lighting (e.g. Bi-Xenons) by German law, especially in a systems that moves according to load (e.g. self-leveling depending what is in your trunk, etc). If a base 991 headlight system (even if it is technically a Bi-Xenons) does not self-adjust to load, perhaps it doesn't need the headlight washing system! But that is only a guess. Like you, I assume the Base also had Bi-Xenons.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, CO
Very weird but yes, the base does come with Bi Xenon. I checked today. In fact, the Bi Xenon on the 991 is nicer than the Bi Xenon on my old 997.2. Different illumination. I actually added items/options with the car instead of getting a package since some of the items in the packages are not what I really wanted. So, I hand picked items. Even though I do not want the washers, I figured that they just came with the car. When I noticed they didnt, I started to second guess whether the lights are even Xenon as advertised. Luckily, they are and they are better than the Xenons on my 997.2.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:33 PM
c4-toy
Instructor

Are you certain about the headlight washers? I'm Stiil waiting on my MT base order mid July, but I asked my dealer about it and checked the Porsche website and it says they are standard with or without any premium package. From the web page:
"The new 911 models are equipped as standard with Bi-Xenon(TM) headlights including a headlight cleaning system and dynamic range control."
Old 06-26-2012, 08:11 AM
spourreza
Pro

Originally Posted by c4-toy
Are you certain about the headlight washers? I'm Stiil waiting on my MT base order mid July, but I asked my dealer about it and checked the Porsche website and it says they are standard with or without any premium package. From the web page:
"The new 911 models are equipped as standard with Bi-Xenon(TM) headlights including a headlight cleaning system and dynamic range control."
You get the Bi Xenon and dynamic range control but there is an error with the headlight washer. I never used them on the 997.2 but was more curious. The bumper looks better without them.

What did you get with your car?
Old 06-26-2012, 08:21 AM
c4-toy
Instructor

You get the Bi Xenon and dynamic range control but there is an error with the headlight washer. I never used them on the 997.2 but was more curious. The bumper looks better without them.

What did you get with your car?
991 Base MT scheduled mid July delivery.
2-tone black/gray full leather
Sport seat upgrade
20in Carrera classics
Heated seating
Self diming mirrors
Power swiveling mirrors
Sunroof
Sports design steering wheel
Parking sensors.

I went w more comfort & convinience and look as the car has enough performace for me and won't be tracked. I also opted not to get Bose as it's overpriced to me and the base stereo is awesome. I did opt for the HD receiver however.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:50 AM
spourreza
Pro

I just checked the website and its totally wrong. They say that rain sensor wipers is an option. They even say that the PCM is an option. I think its really old info. See quote from the website below:

Engineering that takes you forward: optional Porsche Communication Management (PCM) with navigation module and a high-resolution 7-inch color touchscreen. PCM is your control center for audio, navigation and communication functions
Old 07-07-2015, 02:22 PM
porscheprestige
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356

Saludos,
Eduardo
Vail Valley, CO
That's almost the same thing I knew...but I heard it was a European mandatory feature, not German - TUV related. Anyhow, the end result is the same.
Now, what is funny, is that unless Porsche Germany does this to reduce the cost of their cars, there is no other reason.
And here it is why :
Saw a 2015 (V6) with bi-xenon lights and a 2016 Diesel with LED lights and none of them had the headlights washers. I do not know if for LED there are the same regulations as for the bi-xenon...
But even if ther are not, why is there a 2015 Cayenne with bi-xenon lights and no headlight washer?
Saw a 2016 Cayenne Turbo (LED headlights) and a GTS (LED headlights) and both had the headlight washers.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:23 PM
gman99
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No washers on loaded '16 Cayenne e-Hybrid with PDLS+

I'm a little late to this thread but I, too, am puzzled that mine came without. I selected nearly every available option including the LEDs and PDLS+. Cost cutting at Porsche? I saw a new Turbo at the dealership that has the headlight washers. My dealership was at a loss to explain the discrepancy. At the end of the day, I can probably get by without them........but still.

Quick Reply: Headlight Washers