991 very long delivery time...

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 10:23 AM
sesydos
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 very long delivery time...

i dont know if this is the same in the states or anywhere else in the world
but i went to order a c2 991 and the rep told me you will be on dec prod and will arrive in late feb.... add to that its 12k USD more expensive than in the states for a base c2... we don't have taxes in saudi arabia ,, maybe its the lack of market competition and different pricing strategies ...

its not that there are so many orders they filled the quota, but the quota it self is less than three cars a month for the richest country in the world,,, there is something wrong !!!.

can some tell me what was the waiting time...

later,
wali
Old 06-18-2012, 12:19 PM
Rainier_991
Instructor

I ordered just over a month ago in South Africa. Two weeks before that the estimated waiting time was 4 months. When I ordered two weeks later it had gone up to 5 months. I believe they are now quoting 7 months - this agrees with your quoted times, we fall under "middle east" here even though we are 6000 miles away.

The factory is producing record numbers, over 1000 a month now but it is simply too little to keep up with demand.

If it makes you feel any better, there is a reason for the high demand: It's a really good car and many are now buying one that would have never considered a 911 in the past.

Rainier
Old 06-18-2012, 02:27 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

I got mine 07 months after ordering.
Now that I want to order a new one, I have to wait until February 2013 production / April 2013 delivery.
All the quoatas are filled up to September (03 or 04 cars a month) since then, there are no more quota assigned for us until the next year.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:42 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Rainier_991
I ordered just over a month ago in South Africa. Two weeks before that the estimated waiting time was 4 months. When I ordered two weeks later it had gone up to 5 months. I believe they are now quoting 7 months - this agrees with your quoted times, we fall under "middle east" here even though we are 6000 miles away.

The factory is producing record numbers, over 1000 a month now but it is simply too little to keep up with demand.

If it makes you feel any better, there is a reason for the high demand: It's a really good car and many are now buying one that would have never considered a 911 in the past.

Rainier
What is odd is that based on what people are saying on the Porsche forums (i.e. - anecdotal evidence) , the 991 is not selling particularly well in some of the traditionally larger markets (US, Canada, UK). Personally, I have seen only four others 'in the wild' aside from my own. 2 were at a 991 owners meet and 1 of the others was a Porsche Cars North America car in town for the NY Auto Show.

Where are they selling? I think I read that the domestic German market is doing well. Are the BRIC countries consuming most of the other builds?
Old 06-18-2012, 09:03 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I spend most of my time in Houston and Austin. Both are pretty good markets for Porsche, and both have strong economies. So far I've only seen three 991s in the wild. 2 in Houston and 1 in Austin.

I think demand isretty strong for these cars, but 1000/month for global production is not a lot. My guess is that the larger markets like the US and EU are getting priority on the allocations. They want to protect their larger markets.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:18 AM
Rainier_991
Instructor

I have no clue what allocations are here. We have three Porsche dealers to cover the entire country and they all belong to the same crowd (not good for competition so don't bother asking for a discount ).
All I can say is my local dealer had two on the floor when I went there (perhaps 6-8 weeks ago) for the first time. One was "sold". Since then the floor has been empty of all 991, only a new 997.2 4CS hoping to still convice sombody that does not want to wait (no, don't ask for a dicount either). Looks like whatever comes in goes straight out the door...
Only one 991 "S" seems to be around, used for demo rides - and it is giving lots of them. It seems to me this is one that was left behind from the World wide launch of the 991 last year which of course happened right here in my home town (and not a bad venue for that kind of thing either).

Yes, Porsche did want to create a 911 this time that will appeal to more than just the enthusiasts. Like it or hate it - it is pretty convincing that they have managed this. I would not be surprised if we see delivery times stretching to a year or more, in particular in some regions. It will take Porsche a good bit of time to increase production facilities considering their space challenged current setup.

Perhaps the politicians that are currently trying so hard to find a fix for the Euro problems should have a closer look at what is happening here. The answer is right there - but yes, it does require "work". I'll leave it at that.

Rainier

Originally Posted by sapman
What is odd is that based on what people are saying on the Porsche forums (i.e. - anecdotal evidence) , the 991 is not selling particularly well in some of the traditionally larger markets (US, Canada, UK). Personally, I have seen only four others 'in the wild' aside from my own. 2 were at a 991 owners meet and 1 of the others was a Porsche Cars North America car in town for the NY Auto Show.

Where are they selling? I think I read that the domestic German market is doing well. Are the BRIC countries consuming most of the other builds?
Old 06-19-2012, 08:47 AM
peterm
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default order time in us

I placed my order mid jan for a march build slot took delivery 4-15

I had not seen another in the wild until i went to the Monticello event there were two other owners cars there. I did see one on the road and one parked this past weekend. Aside from that for the first 2 months of ownership in NY metro I had not seen another
Old 06-19-2012, 04:45 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here in Dubai the wait is now around 6-7 months. There is only one dealership here and they claim with numbers to back up that they are by far the largest dealer in the world in terms of number of new porsches sold each year.
But about 80% of their sales are cayennes and panameras, while the rest are the sports cars of which only 10% may be 911s.
Yeah, don't bother to ask for a discount here either. But 911 prices are similar to the US so among the cheapest places in the world to buy one. When they need to move stuff they rarely do give offers like a year of free insurance, free service, special financing deal (subsidized by them) etc. rather than lower the price of the car.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:46 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here in Dubai the wait is now around 6-7 months. There is only one dealership here and they claim with numbers to back up that they are by far the largest dealer in the world in terms of number of new porsches sold each year.
But about 80% of their sales are cayennes and panameras, while the rest are the sports cars of which only 10% may be 911s.
Yeah, don't bother to ask for a discount here either. But 911 prices are similar to the US so among the cheapest places in the world to buy one. When they need to move stuff they rarely do give offers like a year of free insurance, free service, special financing deal (subsidized by them) etc. rather than lower the price of the car.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:00 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by peterm
I placed my order mid jan for a march build slot took delivery 4-15

I had not seen another in the wild until i went to the Monticello event there were two other owners cars there. I did see one on the road and one parked this past weekend. Aside from that for the first 2 months of ownership in NY metro I had not seen another
That's funny. At least one of the 991s you are counting (at Monticello) is the same as one that I am counting.
Old 06-20-2012, 05:50 AM
Al Morales
AutoX

Same here in Hong Kong. I ordered my 997 Feb 11' and got it in July 11' Ordered my 991S in March 12' and its scheduled to arrive next week. Here in Hong Kong there is 100% tax
Old 06-20-2012, 07:02 AM
rnl
Burning Brakes

Received 458 Likes on 204 Posts

It seems to be much shorter in the states. Ordered April 24th and delivered less than two months later on June 20th. From factory completion on May 30th took only three weeks from factory to dealer.
Oddly enough, the very first 991 I spotted in the wild was yesterday. I spotted this black beauty within seconds of receiving an email from my dealer that my ride had arrived at his store. I did see a red cab from a distance about a week ago, and like birding, the report of any rare bird cannot be claimed without certainty.

100% tax, oh my! is there also an income tax?
Old 06-20-2012, 11:46 PM
Al Morales
AutoX

No income tax or sales tax in HK but cars and petrol is at 100% Seems the HK Gov. wants to discourage driving since there is a pretty good public transport system here. With that said, there are a lot of nice cars driving around this little city. Lots of Lambo's, Ferrari’s, Porches, Aston Martins etc...

Quick Reply: 991 very long delivery time...