Sponsored by:

sport & sport plus - PDK question

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 01:08 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Default sport & sport plus - PDK question

Is there any difference between “sport” and “sport plus” modes when driving with the pdk on the manual side?
Old 06-15-2012, 01:13 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

slightly faster shifts
Old 06-15-2012, 01:42 PM
Galion
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

I can feel the faster and more agressive shifts too.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:47 PM
skinzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Absolutely..huge difference. SportPlus stiffens ride and shifts occur at near redline. Way to aggressive for street driving but does this car fly. Sport is perfect for aggressive DD. Don't understand how it impacts "manual" function as by definition its "manual"?
Old 06-15-2012, 03:33 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

drove manual yesterday w/ sport plus,

when u press sport, the sport exhaust came on as well
when u press sport plus, exhaust and susp turn on.

as far as shifting=same... the gas pedal was more sensitive tho.

pdk.. the shifts "kick" more on sport plus in manual, driving sport plus in auto on streets is impossible because keeps rev's WAY too high.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:54 PM
HotLap
Racer

Originally Posted by rijowysock
drove manual yesterday w/ sport plus,

when u press sport, the sport exhaust came on as well
when u press sport plus, exhaust and susp turn on.

as far as shifting=same... the gas pedal was more sensitive tho.

pdk.. the shifts "kick" more on sport plus in manual, driving sport plus in auto on streets is impossible because keeps rev's WAY too high.
Dealer told me in Sport Plus w/PDK (not sure if Sport Chrono effects the Sport Plus settings or not?) but he said it will NOT shift until redline! I tested this statement (once) and it appears true, don't want to be redlining it until I have a few more miles on it...sitting at 600 miles so far!
Old 06-15-2012, 04:34 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by HotLap
Dealer told me in Sport Plus w/PDK (not sure if Sport Chrono effects the Sport Plus settings or not?) but he said it will NOT shift until redline! I tested this statement (once) and it appears true, don't want to be redlining it until I have a few more miles on it...sitting at 600 miles so far!
you only get "sport plus" with "sport chrono"... 600 miles is plenty!. go for it...
Old 06-15-2012, 05:23 PM
skinzy
Instructor

you only get "sport plus" with "sport chrono"... 600 miles is plenty!. go for it...
Are you sure? I thought sport plus was an "S" upgrade and then you could add the sport chrono which I did.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:44 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by skinzy
Are you sure? I thought sport plus was an "S" upgrade and then you could add the sport chrono which I did.
nope. sport is standard on all, sport plus is only w/ sport chrono... get wart on dash, G meter in cluster, GPS for track recording in dash, adaptive engine mounts.. if you get pdk then you also get launch control and.... something else.

The "S" gets PTV, PASM, Red 6 pot brakes, 50hp, silver rev counter, a more open front radiator inlet, upgraded exhaust (true quad), 20" wheels standard, and ability to have PDCC.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:32 AM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

nope. sport is standard on all, sport plus is only w/ sport chrono... get wart on dash, G meter in cluster, GPS for track recording in dash, adaptive engine mounts.. if you get pdk then you also get launch control and.... something else.

The "S" gets PTV, PASM, Red 6 pot brakes, 50hp, silver rev counter, a more open front radiator inlet, upgraded exhaust (true quad), 20" wheels standard, and ability to have PDCC.
wish my salesman had explained it so simply. thanks!
Old 06-16-2012, 01:54 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by jcf7
wish my salesman had explained it so simply. thanks!
this is why i take the booklet home and read it thoroughly and also read a lot on here..

i've had sales men tell me things where i just had to stop and laugh... they will all tell you "gotta have sunroof", "gotta have sport chrono", "gotta have this", "gotta have that" after you know it thats 15k in options... and i never saw them open their checkbook.

several dealers told me to buy things "for resale value" but then upon trade in they are always the biggest lowballers.. when selling I have had people ask me "does it have nav" (my cayenne without nav stock) and i told them.. it could but would be 4k more... would u rather have nav or 4k... they always prefer the 4k.

with the market so large and so many cars available, it's all about price in my opinion... pricing my car below every other car on market i never have a hard time selling it... i cant imagine having 15k extra in options and being in the middle of the market..

cheapest 991 on any sales site right now is 92k (manual) and 96k (pdk), i'm pretty sure i'll have no problem at all selling mine for the 82k i propose to sell it for in 4 months..
Old 06-17-2012, 08:26 AM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i used auto mode on my PDK for about 5 minutes and put it back in manual.

manual & sport plus - shifts much faster, sounds amazing & downshifts are a total riot. the PDK shifter is at the perfect height & reach for shifts
Old 06-18-2012, 10:46 AM
HotLap
Racer

rijo, nice summation of what options the Sport Chrono brings you! Funny, how things aren't really detailed on the window sticker and many times not in the OM either. I have had to refer back to the Porsche site new car "build" area seveal times to be able to drill down into exactly what comes with particular option packages. I'd suggest anyone go there and build your car with exact options and check out your option packages....
Old 06-18-2012, 10:47 AM
HotLap
Racer

Originally Posted by Cpa4S
i used auto mode on my PDK for about 5 minutes and put it back in manual.

manual & sport plus - shifts much faster, sounds amazing & downshifts are a total riot. the PDK shifter is at the perfect height & reach for shifts
Same here, to date the only time my pdk is in auto mode is when it's cold and just for a few minutes until it warms up...shifts are sluggish when it's cold.
Old 06-18-2012, 04:46 PM
mtony
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

So do people say you have to get sport chrono with PDK because of launch control? Seems I would only do that a couple of times a year and wouldn't really miss that. I don't care for the g-meter or the stopwatch. Maybe I would miss the engine mounts though.

Quick Reply: sport & sport plus - PDK question