Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 build quality and reliability so far?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 11:04 AM
deturney
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is a very early build 2012 with 5500 miles on it now. Other than the campaigns associated with the early builds (2 trips to get them all handled), it has had no issues at all. It does also have a sunroof and no rattles anywhere in the car.
Old 04-08-2013, 12:06 PM
Speeds2Much
Track Day

Originally Posted by manibot
I believe if you posted the same feed on a 6 series forum you will certainly get some friction like the poor guy on the other thread who turned in his 991 because it was too big for him.

I have 2 of my buddies who got 650xi and they love it. I on the other hand wanted to return to porsche after putting 80k on my 335xi. Amazing car and has served me well.

Can you tell us about the difference in ride quality between 650 and 991? Appreciate your comment.
Don't mean to offend anyone's ride. The 6-er is a beautiful car, no doubt, and in a straight line the twin-turbo V-8 is a gem. Still, I thought about the possibility for friction after I posted the comment, but since I was agreeing with him thought he'd probably understand I was commiserating. It just struck me that BMW doesn't respect its customers because they think they won't discern the difference. Some professional reviews have been even harsher than I was on the 650i's steering, btw.

Car & Driver wrote: "The steering effort is variable via the 6’s standard driving-dynamics-control system, but none of the settings (comfort, normal, sport, or sport plus) results in any communication." Use of the word "any" is a strong statement. Another review called the steering something like "on again, off again" and said BMW clearly isn't the Ultimate Driving Machine company anymore if they're willing to put this on the market. I can't find the article right now but the reviewers really blasted the steering.

Have not driven a 991, so I'm keying off everything I've read. But I have driven the 981 Boxster base (shares 991 suspension components) and thought the ride was much better than the 650xi's. Leagues better. The Porsche's ride is very film, but it's compliant. The electric steering is also in a different league from BMWs and you'll read that in many other places.

Now, as a BMW driver I can speak from experience about BMW break-in. The 335xi's ride for the first 10,000 miles left something to be desired, too. It didn't feel sorted out, but by 15-20,000 miles I started noticing that it was getting supple and it continued to improve up to 60,000 miles, where the improvement seemed to level off. So maybe a 650i on 20 in wheels will improve with age. But the steering? I'll have to disagree with your friends. BMW has a major problem there imo.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:07 PM
pfijcali
Track Day

So far, my 2012 991S is rock solid. No issues.

Quick Reply: 991 build quality and reliability so far?