Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

991 build quality and reliability so far?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 12:29 PM
studdgart
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 991 build quality and reliability so far?

I am ina 2012 bmw 650i now. I am thinking of going back to Porsche within the next few days.

I am a little nervous about being in a first year model of a new series. I knoiw the 991 owners have not had their cars very long, but how would you rate the build quality?
Old 06-15-2012, 01:53 PM
skinzy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No problems here and build quality is first rate! When VW gains full control all bets off!
Old 06-15-2012, 02:03 PM
peterm
Racer

Default build quality

Carrera number 5 for me- this is the first one i have had to return to address a very annoying rattle from the rear quarter panel. If service had fixed it for more than 2 days Id be happy but it has returned worse than it was and back for second service visit next week. Additionally I have a window that auto returns on its own, the module was replaced yet that problem persists as well.

I dont believe these are new model issues- and essentially its an evolved model not really "new" the PDK - 3.8 - etc have been tried, tested and released before

In the previous vehicles the only issue I had was a transmission gloitch right after delivery that called for transmission replacement at 89 miles (tip 2002)
Old 06-15-2012, 02:45 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally I'm waiting for the turbo to arrive.

As a rule I never buy first year production cars.
Old 06-15-2012, 03:05 PM
skinzy
Instructor

"I dont believe these are new model issues- and essentially its an evolved model not really "new" the PDK - 3.8 - etc have been tried, tested and released before"

+1 I agree. We could discuss this all day and will not have an empirical answer. Only time will tell. I waited three years to buy the 991 and I'm very glad I did. I now have a car that will be current for 7+ years with a great 4 year warranty. Ultimately I am betting on Porsche quality which I think is a safe bet. Would not say the same for BMW, Mercedes, or Jaguar. Only the Japanese have a better record!
Old 06-15-2012, 03:30 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i personally dont believe in "new model issues", every car regardless of whats what has issues... i have early adopted almost everything in my life from phones, computers, cars, etc...

my 958 cayenne's were great besides like 1-2 hiccups.
my 997.2 was great,
my 991 is great

only problems i ever have are rattles (they usually same day fix at dealer)... and thats it... the cayenne had a weird battery issue but quickly fixed with the help of google...

go for it,
Old 06-15-2012, 03:58 PM
HotLap
Racer

Only at 600 miles to date but only one interior rattle coming from the cab top. Decided it's not serious enough to let a tech unfamiliar with the new top structure learn on my dime...that and I can't seem to find the manual transmission - there's this automatic "PDK" in there...well that's another story

I am really enjoying this new Carrera S and you won't be disappointed!
Old 06-15-2012, 04:13 PM
chance
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i personally dont believe in "new model issues", every car regardless of whats what has issues... i have early adopted almost everything in my life from phones, computers, cars, etc...

my 997.2 was great,
my 991 is great

only problems i ever have are rattles (they usually same day fix at dealer)... and thats it... the cayenne had a weird battery issue but quickly fixed with the help of google...

go for it,
+1
Old 06-15-2012, 04:53 PM
studdgart
Track Day

thanks guys!

i know a real good argument could be made either way. the 997.2 is like a rock now.
i have always had really good luck with porsches, though. they have actually been the most solid cars i have ever owned.
i am not too impressed with my first year of a new series BMW 650i. that is a different story though. BMW has always been my second favorite car. i have driven nothing but BMW and Porsche for the last 10 years. recently BMW seems to be losing some of its sportiness. i may be done with BMW for a while.
hopefully i will be back in a Porsche soon.
Old 06-15-2012, 05:21 PM
royalton
AutoX

Build Quality is absolutely fantastic, as it was in My 997.1 cab my 997.2 Coupe and my MB G 500 of the pastM
Old 06-15-2012, 09:57 PM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 61 Likes on 23 Posts

BEST PORSCHE NEW YEAR SO FAR
Old 06-16-2012, 12:41 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by rijowysock

my 997.2 was great,
my 991 is great

go for it,
+2
Old 06-16-2012, 12:42 AM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by skinzy
No problems here and build quality is first rate!
^this^
Old 04-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Speeds2Much
Track Day

Default Agreed

Originally Posted by studdgart
thanks guys!

i am not too impressed with my first year of a new series BMW 650i. recently BMW seems to be losing some of its sportiness. i may be done with BMW for a while.
hopefully i will be back in a Porsche soon.
Completely agree. I'd aspired to the 650xi coupe for some time, and when it first arrived in the states, I was stunned by the beauty of the car. Finally, I had an opportunity to test drive one while my 335xi was in for routine service.

Will not be trading up, as I could not have been more disappointed with the 6-series. I was stunned and even a little offended (because it indicated that BMW doesn't care about its long-time customers). The electric steering is the worst I've ever experienced since renting a U-Haul van. It was so bad, I had to slow down to 10 mph on a sharp sweeper because I had zero confidence that I could maintain the right line. The ride on 20 inch wheels...harsh and unrefined. And there was too much road and wind noise for a $100,000 coupe. My E90 3-series is quieter. There was NOTHING sporty about the 6-series. Even the powerful engine was joyless because it was so ill-matched to the chassis.

I complained to the sales associate, suggesting that if BMW wants its customers to move up in the brand, they'd better have the right products waiting for them. BMW built it's reputation on being the Ultimate Driving Machine, but the new 6-series is nothing more than a marketing-driven image and design "product." The engineering substance isn't there.

Based on my experience, it's worth the extra $15,000 to get a 991.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:59 PM
manibot
Intermediate

I believe if you posted the same feed on a 6 series forum you will certainly get some friction like the poor guy on the other thread who turned in his 991 because it was too big for him.

I have 2 of my buddies who got 650xi and they love it. I on the other hand wanted to return to porsche after putting 80k on my 335xi. Amazing car and has served me well.

Can you tell us about the difference in ride quality between 650 and 991? Appreciate your comment.

Quick Reply: 991 build quality and reliability so far?