Sponsored by:

Painted remote key DIY - Porsche 991/981, Cayenne, Panamera

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 11:52 PM
iambon
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Painted remote key DIY - Porsche 991/981, Cayenne, Panamera

Hi, I always wanted to paint my car key in white to match with my new 991S (factory optioned is way too expensive). However, I tried to search from the internet forum but I could not find the info anywhere how to disassemble Porsche key case.

However, a few days ago, I accidentally washed my car key (it was sit in my pant's pocket). The key was not able to operate... then I opened a battery cover... sad news, the battery was leaked with brownish liquid. I decided to repair it, and I will need to disassemble the key case without knowing of how to do it properly (anyway, it is already broken).

Luckily, I did it a pretty good job to disassemble the key case then using the hair dryer with brush to dry and remove all messes from the electronic parts/chips.

Thankfully, my Porsche key is alive and working again.. save me a lot of trouble (Porsche's quality is water proofed).
Since i was able to disassemble the key case with else so i decided to paint it with matt white spray then re-coat with matt clear lacquer. The result is fantastic and I really excite to show it to your guys, enjoys. I will write DIY soon.

PS. I also did a fix to my rattled left rear quarter window, so I was able to remove a whole rear seat and rear side panels to access the window assembly area. Then I used 3M tape to fix it and now there is no more rattles, I think I did a better job than OEM. (I also plan to remove the rear seat belts for both rear passengers to save some weight)

Anyone who have this window rattle's issue please let me know, i might be able to help.
Attached Images  

Last edited by iambon; 07-04-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:55 PM
VELOCITY 997
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks Great.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:00 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

very curious how it came apart, would love to know.. would probably give the pieces to a local paint shop however to get a thick/sturdy coat on the key.

thank you for the help, hopefully the pics/DIY is easy to follow...

also glad your key works again!. would be an expensive mistake.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:30 PM
iambon
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

Hi, please see DIY from the link below, sorry my Rennlist photo storage is over the limit. Can someone help to increase my storage quota?

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...y-porsche.html

My matt white paint has

1 x times primer coat
4 x times matt white base coat
4 x times matt clear coat

The paint has a very strong scratch resistance. I drop it to the floor and no sign of any scratches, I am a very happy Porsche owner.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:48 PM
HotLap
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

iambon, nice job on the key and I would be VERY interested in the process to remove the interior panels on the 991 both front and rear. My 997 had a persistent rattle from the drivers' rear qtr. panel that almost drove me nuts. I tried to remove the panel but it was stubborn and I didn't want to break anything. I've removed many other car and truck interior panels and while they are fairly similar, the Porsche panels seem to be a whole different animal!

thx !!
Old 06-09-2012, 07:29 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

now if i could just figure out an easy way to get the dash plastic pieces off and send them to paint guy at same time (and i wish the seat backs!!! (but thats like 2 days of work ))
Old 06-10-2013, 11:59 AM
bredband
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question painted remote cayenne key

Hallo first sorry for my bad English.
is there some one who can show me in pictures, how to dissesemble a Cayenne 957 remote key i want to paint it like i did to my panamera key.
many thanks from sweden
Old 06-10-2013, 12:45 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

I read that someone wrapped his key using the same film used on cars to change the paint color. That makes for a perfect finish and seems to be a lot less work than applying paint. It's also not going to chip the way paint can.
Old 06-10-2013, 12:48 PM
stealthboy
Burning Brakes

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I wonder how well this will wear with repeated use inserting the key... Can you post pictures in a week or two after you've used it?

Edit: I see this is an old thread - can the original author post pics how the key looks after a year now?
Old 06-10-2013, 01:14 PM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

28 bucks on ebay.
install is simple- remove metal key, pop off the 2 sides using a blade, snap on the new part, done.

Im thinking about applying a clear bra!
Attached Images  
Old 06-10-2013, 02:44 PM
MacAna
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I especially like your Porsche iPhone cover visible in the reflection of the key
Old 06-10-2013, 05:01 PM
John 996 TT Cab
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can order, from the Porsche dealer parts department, the side coverings in almost any of the standard colours. Then you snap off the sides somehow and replace with coloured. On my 991S I ordered a white one to match the car and then the Guards red parts to match the interior. I believe Suncoast has these available also. Now it's easy to keep my key separated from my wife's.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:44 PM
freeman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
Default key fob bulletin

The good news: PCNA has a Parts Information bulletin on the After Sales site entitled Painted Driver's Keys (hand-held transmitters that describes the disassembly and reassembly of the 991 key fob. It is coded D16 with a large 8 whatever that means. The information comes with a caveat that The key housing is not designed to withstand repeated replacement of the key fob side casings. For this reason, the key fob side casings can only be replaced once.

The bad news: I cannot find the bulletin anywhere on the PCNA site. It popped up when I Googled for a replacement key. I cannot find it by Googling again.

Sorry
Old 06-10-2013, 11:37 PM
SanibelSpeed
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 3 Posts

As little as $18 on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-Pain...cd61c1&vxp=mtr
Old 06-10-2013, 11:47 PM
GT325
Pro

Received 187 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by freeman
The good news: PCNA has a Parts Information bulletin on the After Sales site entitled Painted Driver's Keys (hand-held transmitters that describes the disassembly and reassembly of the 991 key fob. It is coded D16 with a large 8 whatever that means. The information comes with a caveat that The key housing is not designed to withstand repeated replacement of the key fob side casings. For this reason, the key fob side casings can only be replaced once.

The bad news: I cannot find the bulletin anywhere on the PCNA site. It popped up when I Googled for a replacement key. I cannot find it by Googling again.

Sorry
Ask and ye shall receive. See attached..........
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
keylow.pdf (269.0 KB, 583 views)

Quick Reply: Painted remote key DIY - Porsche 991/981, Cayenne, Panamera