991 Targa spy photos

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012 | 10:08 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by THPorsche
I hope they will offer 2WD
Unlikely. According to Porsche marketing Targas sell best in markets with inclement weather and the car's USP is it's combination of Cabrio-like wind-in-your-hair driving along with all-season comfort and driving capability.
Old 06-08-2012 | 07:38 AM
ISUK
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts

Pure speculation on my part but perhaps the glass rear window pivots through 90 deg like a clam shell, the flaps in the targa roll hoop open out and the targa top pivots through 180 deg like the flip top on the Ferrari Superamerica then the rear window closes back down over it. It would mean the targa roof covered the rear seats as a sort of inverted parcel shelf (unless they've found an ingenious way to fold it up as it pivots backwards).

Here is a simple sketch of what I mean minus the required pivot arms.

Old 06-08-2012 | 10:20 AM
WCE
User

Received 188 Likes on 91 Posts

Interesting concept, but I'd bet Porsche chooses simplicity and the targa top stows in the front trunk + a wrap around glass window, like the old ones. This T4 is just a mule and I'd also bet the cab mechanism body cut lines go away for the engine hatch like the coupe.
Regardless, should still be very unique!
Old 06-08-2012 | 01:03 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ISUK
Pure speculation on my part but perhaps the glass rear window pivots through 90 deg like a clam shell, the flaps in the targa roll hoop open out and the targa top pivots through 180 deg like the flip top on the Ferrari Superamerica then the rear window closes back down over it. It would mean the targa roof covered the rear seats as a sort of inverted parcel shelf (unless they've found an ingenious way to fold it up as it pivots backwards).

i think you're right, with that cab rear piece, im sure the top goes back further to allo rear seat to be like cabriolet.
Old 06-08-2012 | 02:08 PM
ISUK
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 11 Posts

Good point. If the rear deck cover lifts up like it does on the cabrio it will allow the glass rear window to swing back a little further. If the targa section has a double pivot mechanism it should be able to store away behind the rear seats and be package into the same area the folded roof sits on the cabrio like this.

Old 06-08-2012 | 03:50 PM
zanwar
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perhaps it's a just a lightweight carbon fiber roof panel that you remove manually like in the old days? I think I could live with that, if it's a one person operation and quicker than the Boxster Spyder top.
Old 06-08-2012 | 04:54 PM
HotLap
Racer

I like ti, what't that stub on the lower driver's side of the top?
Old 06-08-2012 | 07:24 PM
dethman
Intermediate

intriguing shot, will be interesting to see what it looks like and how it functions when released.
Old 06-10-2012 | 02:09 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Interesting indeed. Thanks for sharing.
Old 06-10-2012 | 11:07 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 136 Posts

[QUOTE=HotLap;9597225]I like ti, what't that stub on the lower driver's side of the top?

Probably the base to an antenna used for transmitting/receiving telemetry data that is routed to Weissach.
Old 06-11-2012 | 10:39 PM
Michael T
Pro

Received 87 Likes on 51 Posts

From looking at the notches at the middle top of the Targa bar, it looks like the rear glass is a hatchback that has had cabriolet cloth applied to it to hide the all glass back. Be interested to see how and where the Targa roof stows.
Old 06-11-2012 | 11:56 PM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

I wonder whether the roof works like the one in the Smart Targa? Essentially a roller blind.
Old 06-13-2012 | 07:16 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ISUK

You should consider offering your services to Porsche -- I like where you're going with this more than what I've seen from Porsche's design folks of late. : )

Anyway, what you've sketched can work with a radius arm, so the roof panel over the driver and front passenger simply swings back to rest about where the pieces of the Cabrio Z-fold down. The rear seats could remain semi-comfortable like the coupe instead of being forced upright like the Cab.

They could then take the Targa platform to make a Speedster like the Boxster Speedster (manually installed fabric roof, like the old "soft top Targa" which I still think has appeal.)

The only difference I see is that the 991 Targa should be a bit more like the "hatch back" approach (the rear section should hinge forward at the roof line, not backwards at the engine cover deck lid.) In this way the expanse of storage space behind the rear seats becomes readily accessible, just pop the Targa hatch, throw a soft bag in there or even lay down the rear seats (or make it possible to unclip and remove them completely) and you've got an open area to carry two sets of golf clubs or whatever.

Then, just put a photo-chromatic film on the inside of the glass and when you park, it all goes completely black using something like e-ink or a passively solar powered OLED film of some sort to hide the entire cabin (including the windshield if the DOT would allow an opaque filament in the front glass.)

I think the 991 Targa 4S will be the pick of the litter.
Old 06-13-2012 | 09:00 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

I would like to see a very simple version with the old school lift out panel. And a very simple cloth cover to put in its place, if caught in a rain storm or to park it. I would rather take the weight penalty in the chassis reinforcements than an automatic top mechanism.

Hey, maybe they can eek out several different models out of the same thing. They do have some experience with that, lol.
Old 06-26-2012 | 09:44 PM
cmb13
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Any talk on release dates? I just sat in a coupe and cabrio and was disappointed by the change in rake of the rear seats of the cabrio. It makes them unusable even for my small kids. I'd love to see if the targa retains the rear seats of the coupe.

Quick Reply: 991 Targa spy photos