Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Rattle & Scraping noise in rear wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012 | 01:58 PM
skinzy
Instructor

Default New Rattle & Scraping noise in rear wheel

My new 991 Cab S has developed a bad rattle and scraping noise coming out of the rear driver side wheel. Sounds like metal scraping on metal. Only 600 miles and just started. Its not the engine and sounds terrible as I back down my driveway and start forward. Sound seems to be coming from brakes but no visible problem. Any ideas about what could be wrong? I'm also concerned about driving to dealer on Monday
Old 06-03-2012 | 02:22 PM
SSST
Drifting

Just the obvious. Check and make sure the lugs are tight. I think someone had that experience a few weeks ago.

Other than that I wouldn't drive it to the dealer. I have them come out and flatbed it.
Old 06-03-2012 | 05:19 PM
AF330i
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SSST
Just the obvious. Check and make sure the lugs are tight. I think someone had that experience a few weeks ago.

THis is the first thing I would check ...

also keep in mind that poster with the loose lug nuts had their wheels removed by the dealer prior to the purchase so he could have them powder coated ...
Old 06-03-2012 | 06:07 PM
skinzy
Instructor

I read about the lug nut problem. This is not that. When I rock the rear wheel in park a sharp scraping noise comes from the brake caliper. Worse when actually driven. Get a squeal and clucking sound.
Old 06-03-2012 | 06:55 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by AF330i
THis is the first thing I would check ...

also keep in mind that poster with the loose lug nuts had their wheels removed by the dealer prior to the purchase so he could have them powder coated ...
wheels were powdercoated, problem was dealer not tightening them.. not the ball seat being coated (was not coated)

Originally Posted by skinzy
I read about the lug nut problem. This is not that. When I rock the rear wheel in park a sharp scraping noise comes from the brake caliper. Worse when actually driven. Get a squeal and clucking sound.

very odd, obviously brakes work on friction, the e brake is however inside the hub... sounds like a "parking brake" issue versus the caliper... can you jack up the rear of vehicle and rotate the hub (with or without wheel on) to try and locate the problem better?

regardless the dealer shouldnt have a problem coming to get the car, but might be a simple small problem you can alleviate without that hassle.

i would engage the parking brake and disengage and see if anything changes or odd noises come from that corner during.
Old 06-03-2012 | 09:33 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Did you check for rocks lodged in the caliper or dust shield?
Old 06-03-2012 | 09:50 PM
greenie
Advanced

Originally Posted by skinzy
My new 991 Cab S has developed a bad rattle and scraping noise coming out of the rear driver side wheel. Sounds like metal scraping on metal. Only 600 miles and just started. Its not the engine and sounds terrible as I back down my driveway and start forward. Sound seems to be coming from brakes but no visible problem. Any ideas about what could be wrong? I'm also concerned about driving to dealer on Monday
Skinzy, make sure that the brakes are not hanging up. Its possible that they havent fully released.
Old 06-04-2012 | 11:24 AM
skinzy
Instructor

Just back from the Dealer after a flat bed ride with my 991. Problem solved....a small rock had become trapped in the brake assembly. 15 min fix and I'm back on the road. Man was it making a loud noise! On another note this car barely made it on the flatbed. About a 1/16" front back clearance. If you need a tow be VERY careful!
Old 06-04-2012 | 03:36 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Glad to hear it.

Good call shizzle.

Sort of related -- anyone with first hand experience of running into a track gravel trap? How bad is cleanup?
Old 06-04-2012 | 05:57 PM
skinzy
Instructor

Originally Posted by shizzle
Did you check for rocks lodged in the caliper or dust shield?
Had checked this as best I could on the ground with mirrors. The tech said it was way in hidden from view and was not coming out on its own. Dealer recognized problem immediately. Wonder how routinely this happens? Good call!
Old 06-04-2012 | 08:33 PM
SSST
Drifting

Glad it was simple. I've never had anything like that. Even on my truck and it sees lots of gravel roads.

It does make you wonder since the tech knew exactly what it was.

Quick Reply: New Rattle & Scraping noise in rear wheel