Looking to Order 991S- Comment on my build

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 07:56 PM
Kathuat
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking to Order 991S- Comment on my build

Fellows-

I have been debating ordering my 1st Porsche car. Frankly, have been struggling with the sticker shock (price) of the car. Close to $100K in my mind is quite a bit of money in my mind for a car. How do you guys justify the price you spend on these cars? I usually like to own cars for a long time (last one I had owned for 14 years bought brand new for $40K) - I have figured buying the car I want and owning it for a long time would make it all worth it. Thoughts?

Most of my use of the car is going to be a Daily Driver. After debating between a Base 911 and 911S a million times in my head - I have figured ordering lightly optioned 911S is probably going to be the best option.

This is build I have in my mind. I am looking for comments/suggestions/recommendations before I finalize my order:

911 S
Manual 7 speed transmission (Love to row own gears)
Black/Black Interior
Premium Package (includes Automatic Dimming Mirrors, Power Sports Seats, PDLS and Heated Seats)
Park Assist (Front and Rear) (Small investment to prevent mistakes)
Sport Chrono Package (like Dynamic Mount and Sport + button)
Ventilated Seats (Would be nice in summer and have heard great reviews)
Sport Design Steering Wheel
HD Radio Receiver (Mostly listen to regular radio so thought having HD radio would be nice)

Total $104,590

Options not sure about:

1. Bose Sound Package/Bumster Sound Package
2. Sunroof in Glass
3. Although, I selected Premium Package I could save $2320 by just ordering Auto Dimming Mirrors and Heated Seats. Thoughts?

Any advice on the configuration above and help will be much appreciated.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:05 PM
aamersa
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you keep the car many years like you do the $$$ spent is justified.

Since you asked for comments:

Your options are sensible. Of the premium package you could save a bunch and just get auto dimming mirrors.

Ventilated seats??? Heated seats??? If looking to save money, delete.

The only option to add is PSE, you will not regret it over the several years of ownership.

All the best.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:29 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

If I were to order my car again, I would add

1. Smoker's Package (to get rid of the little cubby hole in the console).
2. Sports Exhaust

I would also recommend getting the Sports Seats Plus. I'm a bigger guy, and the seats fit me amazingly well even with the extra bolstering. They're extremely comfortable, and provide good leg and upper torso support.

I've listened to the Burmeister stereo, and while it is excellent, I personally don't think its worth $6000 more than the Bose (I prefer the exhaust/engine note anyways, so the stereo is rarely on).
Old 05-25-2012, 08:45 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like it. Nice and clean. On the stereo, it really depends on how much you like your tunes. I always go to the top of the sound options. +1 on the ventilated seats. I live in Texas and they are a big plus in the Summer. Mrs. SSST has them in the MB and I spend a lot of time in her car in the Summer.

PSE is one of those nice to have things. It sounds great, but so does the stock exhaust. Just not quite as great. depends on whether you think it is worth it.

At the end of the day, it's not what we think. It's what you think. It's your money.
Old 05-26-2012, 12:38 AM
tgcrun
Three Wheelin'

Received 438 Likes on 234 Posts

I have a similarly optioned cab coming in July. I didn't order sport chrono because I didn't think I needed the dynamic engine mounts in a dd, and the car comes with a sport button as standard equipment. I did order the premium package, because I wanted my seats to be both heated and electrically adjustable. I'm short and have manual seats in my 997.2, and I feel that my seating position can use a bit more fine tuning. Hopefully, the 14 ways will help with that. I also ordered park assist, mainly because the shortness thing tends to hamper my visibility. Like you, I didn't upgrade the sound system - the base system in my 997 sounds just fine. I did order the leather interior because I like the aluminum trim on the doors and the richer look of the dash and seats. $113,000 after the discount. Not bad for an S cab. This will be my sixth 911, and believe me, the money you spend on the car is well worth it.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:35 AM
Roman Dudinov
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would personally advise you tick Bose sound system. Difference between basic audio setup and Bose is vast. If you plan to enjoy sometimes something other than radio and phone conversations, go for it. And it is not that expensive given the price of the car.
Burmester is simply the best audio you can ever get in the car. The same audio setup is now used in Veyron (Naim was used before). It produces rich, warm and well composed sound with good amount of air as opposed to the B&O systems which despite very wide range, sounds a bit dry and cold. However, it is expensive and you need to really appreciate it. As well as this you will have to be careful with sources of sound. CD's ideally or at least high quality mp3.
I've listened to all three configurations and specced Burmester. But if you are not that much into sound, get Bose it is just marginally less fantastic. And it sounds much better than Bose on 997.

As well as this, I don't want to push you to spend more but why not to consider leather interior. It ages beautifully and it makes interior so much more special. I am buying 991 C2S in the UK and you cannot even spec it without full leather here. And I think it is right. There shouldn't be plastic in the car that expensive. Leather feels different, smells different, looks different. With all that stitching and beautiful leather/metal contrast, your car will be way more special place to be in. Unless you want to save the planet or very tight on finance, get full leather.

BTW, sports exhaust is kind of nice but in Sport plus mode there are considerable changes of sound already, so if you are not keen on spending any extra don't bother. Car will sound very 911 and quite loud without one. Again, better and louder than 997.

Last edited by Roman Dudinov; 05-26-2012 at 08:28 AM. Reason: poor grammar skills
Old 05-26-2012, 04:42 AM
Roman Dudinov
Advanced

Originally Posted by aamersa
If you keep the car many years like you do the $$$ spent is justified.

Since you asked for comments:

Your options are sensible. Of the premium package you could save a bunch and just get auto dimming mirrors.

Ventilated seats??? Heated seats??? If looking to save money, delete.

The only option to add is PSE, you will not regret it over the several years of ownership.

All the best.
I personally don't think it is a good idea. If car is used for fun casual rides on the weekends, you are probably right. However, on the hot day after car been on the sun for a while, no seat ventilation can well make a mess of you suite.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:51 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Not many of us are fortunate enough to live in an ideal climate such as San Diego or No-Cal, such that heated and ventilated seats can make a big difference in comfort and practicality.
Bose stereo is a nice compromise - can't personally see spending for the Burmester, unless or until money simply becomes a non-factor.
Leather interior feels much more special, and to the contrary, when I had my first 911 cab ('08) I always felt that the non-leather interior felt kind of cheap.
I've never driven a car with PDCC, but I imagine it might be enjoyable and good for resale in the future.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:55 AM
Kathuat
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

These are great suggestions. Please keep them coming.

What about the sunroof in glass? Is that an option that is worth it?
Old 05-26-2012, 09:00 AM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Burmester is a nice upgrade over the Bose. You will not regret adding it.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:02 AM
Abby Normal
In Your Face, Ace
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Kathuat

Hard to say since they have not hit the showrooms yet. I think it will be a nice effect for the cabin and be almost Targa like...
Old 05-26-2012, 10:40 AM
Roman Dudinov
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kathuat

Well, it is very personal. I haven't ordered one because it is annoying for me that sunroof adds weight to the top of the car and reduces torsional rigidity. I know, I won't feel it much but just knowing it makes the difference. If you don't have such a weird perfectionism towards cars, I think sunroof is great because it almost gives you what you could get with 997 Targa. Open your roof and windows and you will get very cabriolet-esqe experience.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:31 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Too early to tell, but the comparison with the 997 Targa is a good one -- including the potential for creaks and chatter from up there? And the weight. One of the most sure decisions of my build was "No Sunroof".

I avoided ventilated seats because I didn't want the "bump-out" air intake protruding on the back of the hard shell seats (you know for all the time I would spend back there actually looking at it, ha!). Turns out they have the bump whether you get the internal blower or not, lol. Can't win them all, I guess.
Old 05-26-2012, 04:04 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Roman Dudinov
Well, it is very personal. I haven't ordered one because it is annoying for me that sunroof adds weight to the top of the car and reduces torsional rigidity. I know, I won't feel it much but just knowing it makes the difference. If you don't have such a weird perfectionism towards cars, I think sunroof is great because it almost gives you what you could get with 997 Targa. Open your roof and windows and you will get very cabriolet-esqe experience.
This is the reason I tend to avoid sunroofs, and will likely be speccing a 991 without it. I have to admit, the glass sunroof is truly beautiful, though. Wish it didn't have such an impact on the car (I enjoy non-track based spirited driving too much).

Didn't know Bugatti switched to Burmeister from Naim on new Veyrons. That's a good tidbit of info. Thanks.
Old 05-26-2012, 06:26 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On the first part of your post, you are right in that 100k+ is a lot to spend on a car. If you are really going to keep it 10+ years, you might as well get it the way you want it though.

I like your build, but if and extra 10-15k gets you exactly the car you want, then go for it.

Quick Reply: Looking to Order 991S- Comment on my build