Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to Order 991S- Comment on my build

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 08:20 PM
Kathuat
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks SSST. i am probably going to keep the car for 10+ years. i am even struggling with spending $100K on the car. i don't think I can spend another 10-15K. My build will probably be around $104-$106K and then with a negotiated dealer discount (on a order) of 7% I should be probably $96-$97K. Let's see if I am able to even pull that off - certainly quite a bit of money in my mind but I might be over analyzing.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:11 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by shizzle
If I were to order my car again, I would add

1. Smoker's Package (to get rid of the little cubby hole in the console).
2. Sports Exhaust

I would also recommend getting the Sports Seats Plus. I'm a bigger guy, and the seats fit me amazingly well even with the extra bolstering. They're extremely comfortable, and provide good leg and upper torso support.

I've listened to the Burmeister stereo, and while it is excellent, I personally don't think its worth $6000 more than the Bose (I prefer the exhaust/engine note anyways, so the stereo is rarely on).
I agree with smoker's cover. PSE is an "each to his own" because all the "aural" in the 991 is through the Symposer. I have PSE and I like to be able to turn it off 90% of the time and I like that it's always just a little too raucous and uncouth when I turn it on. : ) I'd hate to have spent dollars on such a foolish thing and then find it's not foolish enough.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:41 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by shizzle
If I were to order my car again, I would add

1. Smoker's Package (to get rid of the little cubby hole in the console).
2. Sports Exhaust

I would also recommend getting the Sports Seats Plus. I'm a bigger guy, and the seats fit me amazingly well even with the extra bolstering. They're extremely comfortable, and provide good leg and upper torso support.

I've listened to the Burmeister stereo, and while it is excellent, I personally don't think its worth $6000 more than the Bose (I prefer the exhaust/engine note anyways, so the stereo is rarely on).
agree, love the seats... sport exhaust sounds amazing, and i hate not having a lid on my console hole (smokers package)
Old 05-27-2012, 12:58 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

One would think that the lid is an easy fix if so desired, no?
Old 05-27-2012, 04:06 AM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
One would think that the lid is an easy fix if so desired, no?
the smokers package hole has a cig lighter in it... not sure if the plug is in the console... would like for someone to find out (sunset??) i would def buy the piece if under 100.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:38 AM
clembo
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't have the lid on my car but I actually like the open spot. I keep the key in there when I have the car parked in my garage.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:27 AM
Betternotbigger
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clembo
I don't have the lid on my car but I actually like the open spot. I keep the key in there when I have the car parked in my garage.
I use the open view cubby to leave my wallet and phone in plain view when I park at the mall.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:57 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd probably skip the prem package, order a la carte as you state to save $2k. I'd also skip the PSE, as the stock exhaust is loud enough and under hard charging I could see it becoming annoying (and I'm not a blvd cruiser type). I would compare sport chrono v. no sport chrono. Not sure if getting the + button is that much more important than just the sport button.

I would get the burm audio though, it's great.

Don't be quick to discount the non S model, however. In it's basic form, w/o PASM, PDCC etc etc, it's said to be a satisfying car, a bit more analog than digital and a purer driving experience. I don't know this first hand, but having driven the S, and having had a number of Porsches, I think this may be correct. Here's a thread on it:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/9...-manifold.html
Old 05-27-2012, 10:33 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
Don't be quick to discount the non S model, however. In it's basic form, w/o PASM, PDCC etc etc, it's said to be a satisfying car, a bit more analog than digital and a purer driving experience. I don't know this first hand, but having driven the S, and having had a number of Porsches, I think this may be correct. Here's a thread on it:

that's not a bad idea if budget is a major consideration. You could have the head room to get a few options you really want.

It will still be a very quick and capable car compared to whatever you are driving now.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:59 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Looks like a great build! I went with a black/black MT, as well (base, not S), so I obviously think those are great choices. I would add just the dimming mirrors and skip the Premium package. I got the Bose system, which sounds terrific. I just don't think the Burmester package is worth the difference. I would skip the sunroof -- adds weight, doesn't look great when open, and I have found the whole "you need it for resale" argument to hold no weight at all. I recommend the Sport Wheel, but I'm not sure the Chrono package is worth the cost on an MT (and I'm not a fan of the wart). Whatever you decide, I wish you much enjoyment.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:02 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed

^I agree^
Old 05-27-2012, 05:36 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Agreed. The base 991 seems to be a solid choice too. I love love love the 997 but I probably wouldn't have said this about the C2.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:56 AM
HotLap
Racer

Originally Posted by SSST
On the first part of your post, you are right in that 100k+ is a lot to spend on a car. If you are really going to keep it 10+ years, you might as well get it the way you want it though.

I like your build, but if and extra 10-15k gets you exactly the car you want, then go for it.
Ditto, I'd get what you want since you are going to keep it so long. The leather interior is a fantastic option (IMO) and the BOSE system does sound better than the BOSE in my 997. Also you don't want to be in the position where in just a couple of years you will be regretting the options you wish you would have gotten...after all, you will forget the price over time, but every time you get in and drive the car you will be reminded of the options you either did or did not order.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:47 AM
skinzy
Instructor

HD radio is not much better than standard FM. If you go with Bose it comes with the package. I have Burmester and love it.

Quick Reply: Looking to Order 991S- Comment on my build