Sponsored by:

Base Experiences

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 01:04 AM
MojoCowboy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Base Experiences

My bad for beating this horse but I'm wondering if those who've had a base now for a month or two could share some feedback on their experiences with the car.

Have a base MT on order - August delivery - and clearly too much time on my hands. I want to spend ~$100k OTD and am wondering if that's just too much for this car given all of the lukewarm reviews I've seen. Sure want the 911 to be worth it - beautiful car.

I should elaborate that this will be a DD - track is doubtful. Stripped down S isn't an attractive option to me.

I've drove an s pdk at the dealer - no base models to demo.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:53 AM
jester
Intermediate

MojoCowboy,

I had a MT 997.1 Cab S (355hp). I love the new 991 styling so wandered into the dealership and tried out a few 991S Coupe's with PDK (one with sports chrono plus, one without, one with PSE). First few impressions were that of a very nice luxury car. Didn't feel the rather big bump to 400hp prob due to shift in torque curve 1k further out. So in the end, while I love the interior and exterior upgrades and updates in design, I wasn't emotionally moved. I just wasn't. Couldn't pull the trigger to swap out and blow another 60k-70k. (55k trade-in to a 120k car).

Then... a few weeks later I wandered in again, and saw a base 991, MT, with PSE. Within 10min, I was in love. I was emotionally moved. I think a big part is the MT. It's a shorter shift than the 997.1s. Love the higher and closer to steering wheel position. I know now why some say PDK is just not engaging. PSE is awesome awesome awesome. At WOT, the wail nearing 7k rpm is... words fail me... WAAAAAIL is the best word I can think of.

No feel in power deficit from my 997.1S cab (which was heavier admittedly) though I do have to wind it up over 7k to get the full kick in the pants. And yes, I'm under 1k miles, and I wind it up over 7k when its warmed up. Every chance I get. And it's f*#king awesome the sound it makes. The WAAAAIL all the way up. The pop and burbles on lift. Then the WAAAAAAIL again. Then pop burble pop.

Other random impressions/thoughts:
- I do feel it's much longer geared than my 997.1 MT. I used to be able to take certain corners nicely in 2nd and now with the 991 base MT it's close to only 2k revs... a little low. And I'm well past, eh, certain limits at 7k rpm in 2nd. That actually may be the only drawback - I get to go WOT in 2 gears to 7k, then I need to settle it down.
- feels a tiny bit like a lighter car than the 991S
- the 3.4 engine feels lighter and more rev happy than the 3.8
- the 3.4 engine also seems to sound, pitch wise, a slight bit higher, less bass, more WAIL at WOT
- didn't feel the need for PASM. Never turned it on in my 997.1 and didn't want PTV intruding.
- simply amazing cornering ability compared to 997.1
- really like the new sun roof. Don't miss my convertible - especially with the squeaks and little rattles it had
- non-S brakes are fine - were actually the same size and number of pistons as my 997.1S and with the lighter weight of the 991 - stopping seems better and better metered out with the new brakes
- pedal positions do seem better suited for or make for easier heel-toe
- took me a long time to find a good seating position but think I finally got it... feels much more like you're cocooned in the car than sitting on it in the 997.1
- back seats don't seem any more baby seat friendly than the 997.1
- steering - seems to be a HUGE 991 hater concern - I have NO problems. It's very precise. I get the feedback I need mid corner feeling little bumps and all, just more filtered, and that is just fine with me.
- ride, again without PASM, seems to have taking a certain edge off... smoothed out, but I still feel everything. definitely more planted and smoother going over train tracks but my wife would still call it harsh.

That's all I can think of for now. Would be happy to answer any other questions.
Jester
Old 05-25-2012, 05:17 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the write-up. Very helpful!
Old 05-25-2012, 01:54 PM
MojoCowboy
Intermediate

Thanks, Jester.

I'm coming from an 06 CLK 350 - been driving it since 2005 and realize the types of cars I'm evaluating are very different. Prior to driving the S, I drove a 650i cab. The 650i is a huge car but the power was impressive - especially in lower gears. Drives well for a big car and has all of the bells/whistles one could want. But I would rather have a sports car. Also drove the M3 and felt like the interior was dated and have a mental block for driving a 3 series.

I have to say that I was kinda scratching my head after driving the S. The car screamed as long as I was in sports + and WOT. Normal driving was just that - normal. I think a MT will address some of that. I expected to be blown away and just wasn't. That said, I'm sure alot of it has to do with spending time in the car and learning how to configure settings based on the type of driving that suits you.

Glad to hear you found some attachments to the base - PSE certainly has a great rep on this thread.

Wanted to ask you specifically about this comment...
'- I do feel it's much longer geared than my 997.1 MT. I used to be able to take certain corners nicely in 2nd and now with the 991 base MT it's close to only 2k revs... a little low. And I'm well past, eh, certain limits at 7k rpm in 2nd. That actually may be the only drawback - I get to go WOT in 2 gears to 7k, then I need to settle it down.'

There are lots of tight, winding roads where I live that I hope will be fun to drive. My suspicion before reading your post is that they will be best suited for 2nd gear. Do you take these now in 1st or do you look for other types of roads?
Old 05-25-2012, 06:45 PM
jester
Intermediate

Hi MojoCowboy,

Yes my wife had in the past an S4 and heavy torquey cars are great fun as well. I suspect the 650 would be the same feeling. The 991base is fun in a very different way. Not nearly as torquey esp down low. But light, tossable, even though it seems to be a big car too. And no big v8 growl. Instead the WAAIL I keep going on about

Re my "it feels longer geared" comment: I do drive through a number of twisties on the way home and am very comfortably in 2nd doing 30mph to 60mph the whole way. It's just this one downhill sharp right that is as sharp and short of a corner as a normal 4-way stop in the city. I'm well below 20mph and in 2nd. In the 997.1 I could easily pull away in 2nd at 3k rpm. In the 991 base, I'm under 2k rpm in 2nd and it feels a bit weaker, but I guess in the end "ok" for me given everything else, and esp since I really should be in 1st in that corner. The flip side is the shifter is far far less notchy from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st. In the 997.1 I'd never ever consider shifting into 1st at any speed other than full stop. In the 991 base MT, shifting into 1st is rather easy. The other related downside with the long gearing is there isn't much shifting beyond 2nd gear heading up to 60 or 70mph if you like the wail at 7k rpm. I've often gone from 2nd (once cruising speed achieved) to 6th then to 7th when getting on the highway.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:22 PM
FORENN
Banned

Received 666 Likes on 327 Posts

Picked up a 991 base MT (with few options) just this past week. Couldn't be happier. All the torque and speed I could ever want in a DD and I liked the way it handled better than the S (in fairness, though, the Ss I drove were loaded with extras, so between the model difference and the additional options, there was a noticeable weight difference). I drove several PDKs...but I just couldn't get into them. I must have gone on 12-15 test drives before deciding, so there was no question by the time I was ready to pull the trigger. It's being 3M coated at the moment and I can't weight to get it back (tomorrow). Congrats on your purchase and enjoy.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:54 PM
MojoCowboy
Intermediate

Jester - thanks for the tip. Sounds like 2nd gear will see lots of action.

Sportscentury - Congrats to you also. Glad you love your new ride.

I think I'm off the ledge now.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:11 AM
SSST
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My personal opinion on any car is that when you take a test drive and you don't have a big s***-eating grin on your face in the first 1/4 mile, then you shouldn't buy it.

That's not slamming the 991. But if it's not what your are looking for then it's not what you are looking for.

Just remember how you felt when you drove it and ignore what anyone else thinks.

Last edited by SSST; 05-26-2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:13 PM
FORENN
Banned

Originally Posted by SSST
My personal opinion on any car is that when you take a test drive and you don't have a big s***-eating grin on your face in the first 1/4 mile, then you shouldn't buy it.

That's not slamming the 991. But if it's not what your are looking for then it's not what you are looking for.

Just remember how you felt when you drove it and ignore what anyone else thinks.
I think that's right. I first test drove the 991 for kicks. But I couldn't stop thinking about it, as I loved it so much, so decided I had to have one.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:31 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

i was one of the many who have had a luke warm review after a few weeks... the only problem the car has is that it is built too well and doesn't feel as fast/fun as it really is.. handles amazing which makes it feel like your going slower than you are...

my trick so far has been driving in manual mode (PDK) and i will have suspension and exhaust done soon to liven it up a little bit.
Old 05-26-2012, 10:35 PM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rijowysock
i was one of the many who have had a luke warm review after a few weeks... the only problem the car has is that it is built too well and doesn't feel as fast/fun as it really is.. handles amazing which makes it feel like your going slower than you are...

my trick so far has been driving in manual mode (PDK) and i will have suspension and exhaust done soon to liven it up a little bit.
Do you have a base 991 C2 or C2S?
Old 05-26-2012, 11:17 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenLantern
Do you have a base 991 C2 or C2S?
base meaning C2, a C2S would not be a "base" vehicle... technically speaking... mine is PDK.

it's surely quicker and handles better than my old 997 and 997.2 but it's built almost too well.. as i said, high speed feels slow.. meaning even quick accel feels slow.
Old 05-27-2012, 12:04 AM
GreenLantern
Rennlist Member

base meaning C2, a C2S would not be a "base" vehicle... technically speaking... mine is PDK.

it's surely quicker and handles better than my old 997 and 997.2 but it's built almost too well.. as i said, high speed feels slow.. meaning even quick accel feels slow.
Yup, indeed. Wasn't clear on which one you had (though, I suppose I should've re-read the thread).

Thanks for clarifying, and for the comparative review.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:50 PM
FORENN
Banned

I think this is the main concern some folks have ... that the 991 is almost "too good" in a sense. I do think MT is a completely different experience, though. I absolutely love my 991 base, but it is certainly a very different (much improved, imo) machine than the 997 -- and I am still a big 997 fan, especially the GTS, which was my favorite.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:40 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 137 Likes on 95 Posts

I'm interested in this as well.

I haven't read many reviews (would be interested in links to the mentioned's that stated "lukewarm reviews" for the Base), but I do recall one that picked the 911 C2 over the 911 C2S, because they stated that the "Base" felt "more complete/balanced", was sprightlier, and felt like it handled a bit better.

Quick Reply: Base Experiences