Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's starting to happen -- the 997 looking old(er)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2012, 01:53 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Meh. They all look like squished Beetles to me...
Old 05-21-2012, 05:37 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SSST
I'm okay with wings as long as they are functional and serve a purpose. It could be legitimately argued that the GT3 wing is part of the reason it is stickier on the track.

I very much like the look of the 997GT3. I could do without the graphics. The wing is integrated nicely and that gives it a little edge over the wing on the C63 Black which does look a little like an afterthought. It's still a great looking car though.

I was parked next to a Gallardo Superlegerra this past week, and its wing looked a little after market as well. I hope that's not a new trend.
I like wings too, and yes functional is awesome, but for a street car it looks over the top no matter how you slice it. Functional is great for the track, but tacky and useless for the street (more drag = worse gas mileage, and boy racer on the street).

The Mercedes (and BMW for that matter) can go wingless and still look awesome (probably better in fact). I don't think that applies to the 911, they look better with wings, by far, but therein lies the dilemma.

The 911 visually is an acquired taste, and though I do have a taste for it, I realize it's limitations in that area. Porsche needs more in that area to compete looks wise than a enormous wing that looks silly on the street and a bunch of stickers, that well........ still look silly on the street.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:23 PM
Targa Tim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by wanna911
The 911 visually is an acquired taste, and though I do have a taste for it, I realize it's limitations in that area. Porsche needs more in that area to compete looks wise than a enormous wing that looks silly on the street and a bunch of stickers, that well........ still look silly on the street.
You need to know a bit more about cars to post this comment.

911 has basically the same shape for the last 40+ years. Its shape is timeless and buyers keep coming back. There are plenty of buyers that are shopping for 10, 20 or 30 years old Porsche 911, but can't say the same to any other car makers and their models.

New Porsche 911 is always the default sport car that others try to compare (and catch up) with any road tests. Never heard the same in any Mercedes.

The big wing of the GT3/RS is for extra downforce during high speed track driving. It is form follow function, but not for show.

I agree with you that the stickers are unnecessary for the street. But then RS is for fun on the track. You can basically do anything you like to your car when it is about fun.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:34 PM
Matt(inMA)
Not in MA anymore
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 130 Posts

I hope the 997 looks dated like the 993 looks dated. Was at the Larz Anderson PCA Zone 1 show this weekend and the 993s (which I don't own) drew much more attention than the new 991 (which I also don't own). I think all the 911s look great!

Matt
Old 05-21-2012, 09:32 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)
I hope the 997 looks dated like the 993 looks dated. Was at the Larz Anderson PCA Zone 1 show this weekend and the 993s (which I don't own) drew much more attention than the new 991 (which I also don't own). I think all the 911s look great!

Matt
I agree. Styling-wise, the 993 is my favorite 911, followed by the 964, and then 996 WB. The low wide rear flanks with the narrow cockpit and front are classic.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:25 PM
wanna911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Targa Tim
You need to know a bit more about cars to post this comment.

911 has basically the same shape for the last 40+ years. Its shape is timeless and buyers keep coming back. There are plenty of buyers that are shopping for 10, 20 or 30 years old Porsche 911, but can't say the same to any other car makers and their models.

New Porsche 911 is always the default sport car that others try to compare (and catch up) with any road tests. Never heard the same in any Mercedes.

The big wing of the GT3/RS is for extra downforce during high speed track driving. It is form follow function, but not for show.

I agree with you that the stickers are unnecessary for the street. But then RS is for fun on the track. You can basically do anything you like to your car when it is about fun.

I'd do a little research on that and then spend a day watching barrett jackson.

Old 05-21-2012, 10:26 PM
Franklin229
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)

Matt

-and there in lies the root of the discussion. The 991 is definitely "new" chronologically but I think that is where it ends. The 991 visually is the most subtle 911 ever produced and certainly makes previous models look dated only if this were to become a trend. Hopefully not.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:56 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

I actually prefer the 964 to the 993 visually, but I think I am in a pretty small group there. Out of curiousity, what do 993 folks think of the 968 looks? I would argue they share a lot of visual cues, which is somewhat interesting to me given that I don't think a 964 and 944 have much of anything in common looks-wise.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:42 AM
speed21
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SSST
We'll have to agree to disagree on the styling. It's a subjective thing though. Time will tell whether the 991 styling is as timeless as its predecessors.

One thing is clear. They won't be going back. If its like the 996.1 which is also a bit plain and was even more controversial, aero kits and tweeked styling cues will create some character.

I just wish Porsche had remembered that particular history lesson when they were styling the 991
Fine. Thankfully minority doesn't rule in at PAG or we'd all be running around in vintage classics lol.

And with 996 C2, which had all the curves taken out of the coke bottle, cant see how Porsche has made or replicated any such errors here with 991. So nothing for Porsche to reflect back on 996 in so far as perpetuating any error in new 991. The 991 car is very curvacious even in C2 forms. Re 996; it was only in 996C4S and turbo that the car stood the test of time...again because it had curves in the body. And, when 997 came out they put the curves back into the coke bottle in the base cars.....acknowledging the error in adddition to reinstating the round headlights. It's been all forward motion since 996.

Originally Posted by Franklin229
-and there in lies the root of the discussion. The 991 is definitely "new" chronologically but I think that is where it ends. The 991 visually is the most subtle 911 ever produced and certainly makes previous models look dated only if this were to become a trend. Hopefully not.
There it is. But don't agree that's where it ends....more so where it begins. When TT and GT cars come out 991 will only be getting better from there on. Not the other way. And for any new model not to date the predecessor is a fail.
And on that note there is clearly no fail here with 991....well not imo anyway. I'm looking forward to GT3 and TT. These cars will only be looking (and going) even better.

Originally Posted by fbroen
I actually prefer the 964 to the 993 visually, but I think I am in a pretty small group there. Out of curiousity, what do 993 folks think of the 968 looks? I would argue they share a lot of visual cues, which is somewhat interesting to me given that I don't think a 964 and 944 have much of anything in common looks-wise.
Not a fan of 968's looks at all now but on its day it looked quite OK. It's just that it dated really fast. Having owned a 993 I wouldnt be going back to one for the sake of nostalgia least of all thinking it looks better than what i'm currently in. It too had its day but is still holding up well, although mainly in the wide body models..turbo and the likes....plain c2 narrow body not so much at all.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:51 AM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by speed21
Fine. Thankfully minority doesn't rule in at PAG or we'd all be running around in vintage classics lol.
It must be morning in Australia.
Old 05-22-2012, 01:59 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by fbroen
It must be morning in Australia.
3pm actually....lol, thankfully not late evening after many drinks....
Old 05-22-2012, 02:46 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A couple of observations from a non owner of a 997 or 991, pre-ordering the 991 GT3 in anticipation that Stuttgart will get the driving experience more in line with my tastes in the GT cars:

- The 991 is the first car since the 993 C2S that looks great without all the extra paraphernalia needed to balance the proportions of the car. I like it w/o aero, in -20 form. More modern, more 'taut' and better proportions. I don't think the change is subtle at all, as the new creases longer wider platform, and raked windshield bring the 911 into the modern age.

- The GT3 RS's are hideous in terms of street cars; fine for track and most owners who have them are track junkies and view their cars through what is known as 'red mist'. I know, I was like that.

- None of the modern porsches are as appealing as my 964 Turbo, according to my wife. She thinks I'm crazy contemplating a new porsche as she thinks stylistically they are boring. She would rather see me buy an F430 at 991 pricing.

I'll see if I can find my other pics of the 964.
Old 05-22-2012, 02:56 AM
speed21
Banned

Originally Posted by frayed
A couple of observations from a non owner of a 997 or 991, pre-ordering the 991 GT3 in anticipation that Stuttgart will get the driving experience more in line with my tastes in the GT cars:

- The 991 is the first car since the 993 C2S that looks great without all the extra paraphernalia needed to balance the proportions of the car. I like it w/o aero, in -20 form. More modern, more 'taut' and better proportions. I don't think the change is subtle at all, as the new creases longer wider platform, and raked windshield bring the 911 into the modern age.

- The GT3 RS's are hideous in terms of street cars; fine for track and most owners who have them are track junkies and view their cars through what is known as 'red mist'. I know, I was like that.

- None of the modern porsches are as appealing as my 964 Turbo, according to my wife. She thinks I'm crazy contemplating a new porsche as she thinks stylistically they are boring. She would rather see me buy an F430 at 991 pricing.

I'll see if I can find my other pics of the 964.
Nice car Frayed.....and lol on the red mist....aint dat true....not that there is anything wrong with that. Horses for courses.

Love the 964 and 993 turbo...especially in black or dark blue. Last of the all time classics. The turbo body really holds up well and continues to do so. Maybe ask the missus to wait for 991tt to surface before making a final decision.

Quick Reply: It's starting to happen -- the 997 looking old(er)