Hesitation down low....

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 01:24 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Betternotbigger
Can you elaborate, please, on what you say about the PDCC?
Originally Posted by SSST
I think the issue some have with PDCC and even PSM is that the electronic nannies are a double edge sword. The can make an average to slightly above average driver (I am one of those) better, but can get in the way for a really good driver who wants to feel what the car is doing without interference from the electronics.

I would probably opt for it, but can understand why some wouldn't want it.
Since the factories started using electronics for handling, it's been a debate over what's improving the car and what's covering up shortcomings.

There's also the monotonous sales pitch from the factories and their marketing employees along the lines of "our best drivers all report that turning off stability controls does not enable them to improve their lap times at Nurburgring." I think that's a carefully worded assertion that goes to the point of a bold faced lie while retaining a degree of plausibility and, subjectively to the buyer, it can be the rationalization they need to justify buying a car that can be driven foot to the floor and not fear the rear engined reaper.

I don't have much to elaborate upon as yet. I can feel PDCC now that I've spent time observing it and finding ways to make it play its hand, but I'll need more time to discern what characteristics can be attributed to side effects of PTV.

It really has become difficult to figure out the last decimal place of what the car is doing because of the heavy, numb steering and the diminished feedback arriving through the seat. I'm yet to find an analogy or metaphor to help illustrate the feeling of driving the 991 compared to what I think of as a pretty decent 911 in the modern era, such as the 997.2 GT3 RS 3.8 -- Chris Harris would say "analog vs digital" when compared to a Ferrari 458 Italia f'rinstance. I'd say it's something like the distortion, compression and detachment of listening to familiar music over satelite radio.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:25 PM
hockeyguy
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Carerra GT--
You sound quite conflicted. The 991 is a car you obviously like and would buy again, but, in some ways, you're in confrontation with it.
It seems to me pretty obvious that you shouldn't get a second 991 (since your wife has absconded with the first one). Why be conflicted with two 991's? In fact, I wouldn't even get the 997.2, because it might actually "highlight" your grievances with the 991. Maybe get a C63 AMG or similar instead until the 991 evolves with updated offerings.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:42 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

General question. Would PDCC fall under the "nannies" umbrella?

PSM, yes. PTV, yes. PDCC? A stiffer roll bar would not be a nanny -- an electronically variable one? PASM is in the clear, I think, given its static levels depending on button, right? Or will the PASM soften up if it detects rough road to try to provide better contact patch?

Sorry, I came off a base 997.1 with only PSM.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:44 PM
fbroen
Three Wheelin'

Received 230 Likes on 125 Posts

Carerra GT -- I have seen you reference that you may like the "plus" steering a little more, or should I say dislike it a little less. Could you elaborate?
Old 05-19-2012, 03:19 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hockeyguy
Carerra GT--
You sound quite conflicted. The 991 is a car you obviously like and would buy again, but, in some ways, you're in confrontation with it.
It seems to me pretty obvious that you shouldn't get a second 991 (since your wife has absconded with the first one). Why be conflicted with two 991's? In fact, I wouldn't even get the 997.2, because it might actually "highlight" your grievances with the 991. Maybe get a C63 AMG or similar instead until the 991 evolves with updated offerings.
I have other cars for other purposes, including the 3.8 RS, so it's a small scope task to get a second 911.
Old 05-19-2012, 03:20 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fbroen
Carerra GT -- I have seen you reference that you may like the "plus" steering a little more, or should I say dislike it a little less. Could you elaborate?
I haven't driven plus steering enough to offer any opinion.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:43 PM
SSST
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fbroen
General question. Would PDCC fall under the "nannies" umbrella?
Nanny might be the wrong word for PDCC, but if I correctly understand how it works, the system is making adjustments while you are driving.

If you are driving hard at the track, I can understand how it might be disconcerting if the system is making changes to the suspension setup while you are driving.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:52 PM
GSIRM3
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
I haven't driven plus steering enough to offer any opinion.
I thought all the plus steering did was make the steering effort more Lexus like at slow speeds for parking.
Old 05-21-2012, 12:54 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by GSIRM3
I thought all the plus steering did was make the steering effort more Lexus like at slow speeds for parking.
you feel it up to 30.. it's very different. i liked on cayenne, but not on 991.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:21 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never mind.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:25 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pcar964
Never mind.
You're right.
Old 05-25-2012, 02:53 PM
notdrooler
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carcam
[...] As for buffeting, no problem there either because I rarely drive with the windows down. I hate the wind noise and that's why I don't have a cab. I do like the sunroof though and find it much better then the one on the 997. Maybe I'm not driving it hard enough?
Agree on the sunroof. Have you tried windows down with sunroof open? I have very little buffeting up to 50mph, the airflow is quite pleasurable. Of course, you need both windows down. Also, I am tall and sit quite far back, perhaps that plays a role. My head is next to the B pillar...

Maybe I'm not driving it hard enough either.

Quick Reply: Hesitation down low....