Notices
991 2012-2019
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1400 miles in 3 days........ A 991 Review.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2012, 05:34 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Exclamation 1400 miles in 3 days........ A 991 Review.

Base 991 finally arrived on tuesday May 1st and from first sight I was in love!

Thoughts on arrival:
  • White is the best color for 991
  • Interior is EXACTLY what i was looking for
  • Happy I did not order a sunroof
  • Very happy with the Wheel selection
  • extremely pleased with the standard PCM system
  • surprised with the sound of the non PSE exhaust

Steering definitely has a different feel to it, but not in a bad way at all... (my vehicle does not have servotronic) my friends 991 with servotronic has a an even more odd feel to it and I am happy I did not opt for servotronic... (my 958 cayenne's both had servotronic and whilst it was great for parking and soccer mom maneuvering, i did not want that feeling in my "sports car") the servotronic feels like a lexus at low speeds (no feeling, and easy to spin as if your turning the steering without the wheels even touching the ground) this would be somewhat ok if this feeling went away once actually moving but the feeling remains until the low 30's and still has an after feeling beyond that... again, very happy i did not opt for the servotronic on my vehicle after having driven both setups back to back (had never driven a non servotronic 991 prior to mine)

Engine
3.4L feels just like the outgoing 3.6L and has a better sound to it than the 997.2 (997.2 was silent w/o exhaust/pse) the powerband feels very similar which is nice (comfortable down low yet sporty and fast up top) the "Sound Symposer" is awesome and not a gimmick like the BMW setup, the sound is directly from the intake and sounds identical to if you were to install an aftermarket intake to the vehicle (amplifying the intake sound) but on request which is nice and not intrusive. Gas mileage i averaged 27mpg with a mix of being heavy on the pedal and also cruising, average speed was 72.

Coasting
Very useful but you still have a feeling of engine braking on steep gradient (not sure why the feel of drag is still present) also not sure how much gas is saved but the disengagement and engagement of gears is very smooth

Auto on/off
useful for around town, saves gas im sure.. but i usually turn this function off

"Standard" Sport Button
great "pep" and gear shifts are improved, the sport function on the 958 Cayenne makes more of a difference but the shift points/downshifts/etc are much improved.

Transmission
The transmission might overall be the same as the outgoing model but the feel is TOTALLY different and with tons of pep... the transmission is very quick and snappy and does not feel like it "pulls timing" after shifts and agressive driving like the previous vehicle.. (engine issue but always made the gear changes feel too soft and babied) the pdk is everything it was and so much more, the only improvement past this point would be: a column mounted paddle system, and removal of the "shifter" completely utilizing a reverse button on console and/or hold down (-) in 1st to select R.

Interior
single best option I chose were the (P05) Sport Seats Plus, completely unhappy with the "embossed" pretty much "pleather" standard seating surface I felt the only route to correct this was to opt for "full leather" which is obviously besides the added upkeep is very nice. I personally do not like the upkeep of the "full leather interior either"... having not sat in the "Sport Seats Plus" prior to ordering my main desire again was the "smooth leather seating surface" but also was interested in them having larger bolsters... in person they are amazing!... the seats are nice and "deep' also snug for my size (6'1", 175lbs)... the adjustability is nice as well (can only adjust the back up/down and the seat back forward/back) this makes it very easy to find your seating position and also easy to change it back when a valet changes it.
The PCM system that now comes with the vehicle standard is superb as well, direct iPod connection without any problems (only a slight hassle to have to tell it to begin playing selection instead of when you press a song it begins)...Aux Bluetooth is perfect and sounds great, (takes about 10 seconds from startup to sync up and connect/show in the "Source" window.) have not attempted to burn a DVD because of the use of ipod/bluetooth but im sure it works very well. and the Navigation is very easy to use and not annoying in the least, I did my entire trip... had to last minute search for gas stations and also found amazingly fun backroads in the mountains with ease.
The Back seats are the same as before, I honestly do not feel/notice the extra space when front seats in same position as previous 997.2 the rest of the interior is similar/comparable to 997.2.... the doors feel/fit like a porsche should and do not feel as "futuristic" when inside the vehicle.

Body
the body lines are much sexier than 997.2 especially the reduced window height, i love the looks of my sunroof delete and also love the feel and fit of the doors, the relocation of the support bars to the bottom and the lightening of them is clearly noticed when opening and closing the doors. the front and rear bumpers being shorter add to the looks of the car versus detracting. I dislike the clear bra on the side of the vehicle as always and dont know how anyone deals with them, they mar easily and look horrible.

Comfort
The 991 is just as comfortable to drive if not moreso than the 997/997.2, the seating position is great and the space inside vehicle is great... I spent 15 hours in the vehicle yesterday and never once felt sore/uncomfortable... the only thing i would add to alleviate this more would be the ventilated seats, but did not opt for these as i hate that you have to add heating seats as well with this option.

Dislikes
  • Lack of an engine view
  • front LED's seem not as prominent as before
  • overhead buttons/cluster looks cheap
  • choosing/playing songs from ipod could be more simple.
  • reaching controls for A/C and PCM are sometimes difficult with shifter right there
  • cup holders move side to side even when "locked"
  • Center console "hole" i wish i would have known/been told about the "smokers package" with door... as an open hole, looks unfinished and untidy with anything in it.

Big Likes
  • Wider front end
  • standard sport mode
  • PCM setup like Cayenne/Panamera in cluster
  • Stock Wheel Styling
  • Suspension feel/handling
  • Exhaust sound
  • Model delete leaves rear VERY attractive
  • Wider stock tires than 997.2 (better tires as well)
  • Door pocket that pops open is perfect for everything!
  • Excellent visibility

Things I would change
  • column mounted paddles
  • honestly prefer the feel of a key versus a "fob"
  • Mirrors the size of 997.2 (all of the recent vehicles from porsche have too small of side mirrors (cayenne/panamera/Carrera) and this is coming from a guy who easily drove an exige without a rear window/only very small side windows/2"x3" mirrors)

Questions
  • What option must be chosen for mirror down reverse (could this be added via PWIS?)
  • a retrofit for "Sport Plus" button without the other "Sport Chrono" options.
  • easy retrofit for multifunction steering soon?

Soon to come changes
  • Exhaust (desire slightly more growl+pops and burbles)
  • Suspension (Would prefer a lower stance, but did not want to order sport PASM (did not want 20" and PTV)
  • Sport PASM front lip (ordered)
  • Align/Corner Balance

Last edited by rijowysock; 05-07-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:45 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

will update with additional thoughts later, and a nice video on amazing backroads of North Carolina.... i am still amazed the speed limit was 55 on said backroads, as 55 was VERY fast for those roads, but FUN.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:47 PM
shizzle
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Great assessment of the 991!

I totally agree with you regarding the sound symposer. The sound is not artificial, unlike the system in the new M5. It provides enough volume inside the cabin such that you might not miss the sports exhaust.

I also agree that the Sports Seats Plus option is a must. It took me less than a minute to find comfortable track and street driving positions with these seats. As someone who is on the large side (6'0" and 250lbs), I was amazed how perfect the bolsters fit. I could not say the same for the regular seats though.

I went with the Sport Design Steering wheel, although I almost ended up with the multi-function (not by choice). I was told by my salesperson that swapping steering wheels afterwards is a relatively simply process, and wouldn't be a problem to do.

Although i'm going to have to disagree with you on white being the perfect colour. I'd argue its Basalt Black Metallic, but I might be a bit biased
Old 05-05-2012, 06:14 PM
billyii
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A very good review, probably the best yet. Thanks for your time and effort, I am sure your post was enjoyed by all.
Old 05-05-2012, 06:19 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by billyii
A very good review, probably the best yet. Thanks for your time and effort, I am sure your post was enjoyed by all.
thank you, as some might have noticed.. i updated it a few times so far, will update more as i think of things..... cleaning it earlier i had so many idea's of likes/dislikes but sitting down to type it out many things get left out...

overall the car surpassed by thoughts even after several test drives, I am very happy i put in time choosing my options carefully but obviously some things are still vague when ordering (mirror down in reverse!)
Old 05-05-2012, 06:43 PM
mdrums
Race Director

Received 182 Likes on 129 Posts

pictures? I wanna see that interior. what shocks/springs are you getting?
Old 05-05-2012, 07:30 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Congrats! Enjoy! And thanks for the notes.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 76 Posts

Thanks for the write-up Riley. Glad you're enjoying the car. Now pictures......
Old 05-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Alstoy
Burning Brakes

Riley-great write up, as expected. Would love to hear more on the sunroof or lack thereof. Cheers.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:28 PM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 51 Posts

Riley,
Cheers on your new ride! Nice to meet you by chance at the dealer!
Old 05-05-2012, 11:24 PM
rijowysock
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by mdrums
pictures? I wanna see that interior. what shocks/springs are you getting?
ill have better pics soon.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:56 PM
BobDyl
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Congrats, sounds like a great spec on the car. I may be wrong on this, but is the mirror down in reverse really an option? I would think it's standard and activates so long as the mirror adjustment **** is left in the right hand mirror position (selecting the right mirror)...?
Old 05-06-2012, 12:17 AM
FAEDC3
Track Day

Great review, thanks!
Much better and balanced read than many other I've seen.
Can you post a pic of the interior? I'd like to see how does this little hole looks if the smoking package option was not chosen.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:20 AM
Mike in CA
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by BobDyl
Congrats, sounds like a great spec on the car. I may be wrong on this, but is the mirror down in reverse really an option? I would think it's standard and activates so long as the mirror adjustment **** is left in the right hand mirror position (selecting the right mirror)...?
That's right. To defeat the mirror down while reversing feature, the mirror control switch should be to the driver's side.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:12 AM
David in Talent
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I recall in the 997, you had to order POWER seats in order to have the mirror down function in reverse gear..............Since the Sport Seat Plus is not full power I believe you would have to order the Adaptive Sport Seat for the mirror down function in reverse.

Quick Reply: 1400 miles in 3 days........ A 991 Review.